(Trade) Podkolzin to Edmonton

12 minutes ago, Bobby James said:

I do personally think someone would have claimed him on waivers, but I agree there was a chance with the flood that opens when the first batch of waivers happen he might have passed through. I don't love the trade and wished Podz got 1 more year.

As you said (and I agree) it was more about the contract spot and management thinking he'd not grow to be anything more then a bottom 6 guy. 

Gotta be a Dman as the next body coming in and maybe leave a spot unfilled in case a move in-season becomes available. I wonder if they'll look to make a trade for a Dman or something simpler like taking a chance on the remaining unsigned guys.

I'm hoping for Marcus Pettersson.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Well, I'd look at Buffalo - hasn't exactly done much despite having more picks than us

Florida - yes, Florida who just won the cup but look at how many draft picks they had as well

Edmonton - similar team in terms of number of picks lately and similar in terms of drafting percentage

You have to realise too that a lot of our "unsuccess" is due to the fact that we haven't had a draft since 2018 where we've had a 1st, a 2nd, and a 3rd round pick. Since 2018, we've only drafted in the 1st round 3 times, the 2nd round 2 times, and the 3rd round 4 times. That's going to contribute a lot to not having a good draft record.

Compare that to the teams I mentioned above. Some teams like Buffalo have a lot more picks... but still have a bad record similar to us. Think about that.

buffalo haven't done much and drafting bust is 2 completely different thing. buffalo I don't think drafted poorly with their top 10 picks it's just their organization is a mess. the only bust draft bust in their top 10 picks is Alex Nylander.. I dont' think any of the other one u can call a bust.. because they all turned out to be good/decent players whether playing for buffalo or not while 2 of ours are no longer even in this league. as for Florida what about them? they had like 1 top 10 picks in the last 10 years? Edmonton same thing they busted so far on 1 I'm talking strictly top 10 picks in the last 10 years. 

I guess a better way to say it is who have the worse drafting records in top 10 since 2014-2020.. since 2021-2024 is too recent and can't exactly call any of those a bust yet.

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I think what I and other posters here are upset with is that he is still a very young player.  22yo as of 2 months ago.  There's still plenty of time for him to develop.  If we did the same with Hoglander last year because he had 3 mediocre seasons in the NHL, would we not be kicking ourselves now?

I think the problem is this is all based on "what ifs". People are worried about the less likely chance that Podz succeed and thrives in the NHL. Like sure, there's that chance, but there's a bigger chance he doesn't do any of that as well.

I'm all about hoping the best for our prospects. I have a lot of posts in the past questioning people's negativity towards certain prospects in the prospects section. That being said, I think this is also why I'm glad we have a management that's willing to pull the plug on our rose-coloured glasses; otherwise, we may end up with another Virtanen situation where we keep waiting and waiting and waiting and... 😉

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

27 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Well, we've seen most Russian players keep quiet about the whole situation publicly, so most likely any conversation like that would have to be in private. I'm not really talking about it being a locker room conversation so much as I am a potential 1-to-1 conversation, maybe at dinner or something.

Yes, perhaps a more private conversation, but in reality, most NAs would be offended by what he

allegedly had been saying.  I think Toccett would not approve of that kind of talk around the team;

either would a number of Podz teammates. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, tas said:

not really.

and there's no room to develop players in the NHL when you're trying to win championships, and the ahl obviously isn't getting him there. 

all the same people who are pissed about this trade would be way more pissed in october if he got plucked off waivers.

You jump to conclusions so quickly.  Like I said Hoglander looked mediocre as well for his first 3 years.  This is a case of giving up on a young player a bit early.  I mean could he turn into a bust?  Absolutely.  But can we absolutely 100% guarantee he won't turn into at minimum a big and strong bottom 6 forward?  Absolutely not.  He has 2 or 3 more years before that likelihood is out the window.

If your only argument is that he would guaranteed to be picked up off waivers in late September, I've given a very strong and legitimate counter argument to that.  Again, a 4th round pick from a division rival that is in the worst cap situation in the entire NHL was the value placed on him.  Waiving him along with 20 or 30 other players in the NHL could very well meant he could have cleared waivers.  The odds of him being picked up or clearing waivers is likely about the same.  

I would have gambled on it if it meant he could stew for some more time in the AHL.

40 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Yeah, I can't see him talking that way in the Vancouver dressing room.  He would have been shut down

pretty quickly by the leaders and more seasoned players.

Maybe in Abby, but if this is true, it gives the Abby players a bad look if they allowed him to talk

that way. 

It was in Abby

5 minutes ago, tas said:

all the same people who are pissed about this trade would be way more pissed in october if he got plucked off waivers.

no I wouldn't... I'd rather give him one last shot... and let him show if he could earn a spot... if he failed... oh well, wavers then.  Imho, a 4th is worth less than giving him one last chance.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Lock said:

That being said, I think this is also why I'm glad we have a management that's willing to pull the plug on our rose-coloured glasses; otherwise, we may end up with another Virtanen situation where we keep waiting and waiting and waiting and... 😉

This is exactly what we've needed in a management group. 

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I think the problem is this is all based on "what ifs". People are worried about the less likely chance that Podz succeed and thrives in the NHL. Like sure, there's that chance, but there's a bigger chance he doesn't do any of that as well.

I'm all about hoping the best for our prospects. I have a lot of posts in the past questioning people's negativity towards certain prospects in the prospects section. That being said, I think this is also why I'm glad we have a management that's willing to pull the plug on our rose-coloured glasses; otherwise, we may end up with another Virtanen situation where we keep waiting and waiting and waiting and... 😉

Yeah I've seen people compare to this to Virtanen, but virtanen was 25yo when the Canucks walked from him.  Podkolzin just turned 23 a mere 2 months ago.  If this was a couple years down the road I would fully understand the move.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, RJCF96 said:

It does, because at 23 he is now waiver eligibile. Which means, we can't send him to Abottsford without going through waivers, and if he is on waiver, one of San Jose, Chicago, Anaheim or Columbus might put a claim on him and we would lose him for nothing. As of now, we got a draft pick back and that's good asset management. If we lose him for nothing, I am sure a lot of people here would complain why we didn't trade him for a pick before camp.

Dont put him on waivers, get rid of pdg instead.  Continue his development with the big club.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

were the Russians just on the wrong side of 2 big issues (the war and pride) and the Canucks couldn't tolerate it?  it would be a sad thing to happen if the Russians were let go due to politics. 

I find it unlikely that, once they're at the NHL level, they'd be as dumb as to sacrifice their careers by speaking in such a manner as to be interpreted as on the wrong side according to the current establishment view.

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Yeah I've seen people compare to this to Virtanen, but virtanen was 25yo when the Canucks walked from him.  Podkolzin just turned 23 a mere 2 months ago.  If this was a couple years down the road I would fully understand the move.  

But the very problem was the fact that we waited until Virtanen was 25 rather than trading him when he was 23. 😉

Edited by The Lock
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, The Lock said:

But the very problem was the fact that we waiting until Virtanen was 25 rather than trading him when he was 23. 😉

If the plan is to trade any of our prospects that haven't hit their stride after JUST turning 23 for a 4th round pick, I can guarantee we will lose out on some very good hockey players.  Heck, we would have lost Hoglander.

• ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Grankåda said:

I find it unlikely that, once they're at the NHL level, they'd be as dumb as to sacrifice their careers by speaking in such a manner as to be interpreted as on the wrong side according to the current establishment view.

its like WestWorld  They dared to question the nature of their reality. 

giphy.webp

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Lock said:

But the very problem was the fact that we waited until Virtanen was 25 rather than trading him when he was 23. 😉

We only got a 4th... sell low?  should have giving him a last opportunity... what's to lose? I'm still hoping that there's method to this madness. 

• Vintage 1

Just now, HKSR said:

If the plan is to trade any of our prospects that haven't hit their stride after JUST turning 23 for a 4th round pick, I can guarantee we will lose out on some very good hockey players.  Heck, we would have lost Hoglander.

But Hoglander didn't go that route... so no we wouldn't have lost Hoglander given he played the full season last year and is only a few months older than Podz. Not to mention Hogs has played almost double the number of NHL games Podz has.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Hogs and Podz said:

We only got a 4th... sell low?  should have giving him a last opportunity... what's to lose? I'm still hoping that there's method to this madness. 

What's to lose? Well the answer is simple. We'd lose Podz on waivers for nothing. lol

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Supreme17 said:

Gathering resources for future moves you hope to make as apposed to acquiring a piece needed for an immediate trade.

For all we know management has been on the phones all summer seeing what moves can be made now in an attempt to bolster their future bargaining power, at whatever point in the season it may be needed.

You can try to discourage and or outright disagree with and denounce the position someone takes, doesn't mean you have a legal or positional authority to stop someone if the comments are a general feeling or belief.

He could have disparaged Ukrainians without actually saying he wants them murdered, he could support Russian without saying he support unjust acts, it would make for a very uncomfortable setting if true and doesn't directly mean the players in either locker room where not doing what they could to push against it.

Bringing up that kind of politics in the dressing room is downright stupid.  Most of the players on

the Canucks are NAs and Euros, whose homelands are allies of the Ukraine and support sanctions

on Russia.  It could be a very divisive conversation in the dressing room, which I believe would be

squelched right away. 

Of course, there's no real proof of what he has been accused of saying, so I don't

really want to pin this on Podz.  I just can't believe a conversation like this would be allowed

in a hockey team's dressing room.  Very inapporpriate indeed.

• Cheers 1

It's easy to blame big bad management but they're not stupid. I think Podz himself was looking for more trust, playing time, and a fresh start. Especially after seeing Kuz get it in Calgary and also knowing what he was up against in making the team both with prospects ahead of him and the new additions.

• Cheers 1

I am still scratching my head on this one. 

You'd think he would have had more value than a 4th. So strange. 

I have total faith in this management group, so i am not losing any sleep over this deal. 

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

But Hoglander didn't go that route... so no we wouldn't have lost Hoglander given he played the full season last year and is only a few months older than Podz. Not to mention Hogs has played almost double the number of NHL games Podz has.

Hogs was waiver elegible last season.  Had to show or be traded.  That worked out for Hogs, now he's worth a lot more than a 4th if he was traded.  Podz should have been given some sort of opportunity this coming season like Hogs. 

4 minutes ago, Hogs and Podz said:

and the Canucks were so bad there was no risk of him being sent down. Waivers was never an option.

22 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

The depth chart isn’t mine but it does have 2 goalies - Skinner @ 2.6 & Pickard @ 1 M = 3.6

For sure they have more to deal with but Bowman managed to kick the can down the road and keep both offer-sheeted guys if he chooses. 

Ah okay I missed that, but the Kane thing is still a major issue and matching the kids you can’t trade them for a whole year, so clearing out 5 million when you have an already bad back end bad goaltending, Kane has pretty much already said he won’t waive his Nmc which pretty well leaves you with RNH or Hyman out, then there is summer 2025 when draisaitls rough 14 million contract kicks in prob have to shed another big contract player for that well having 7.5 tied up in bubble nhlers 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1