(Trade) Podkolzin to Edmonton

Just now, tas said:

one due for a step back if he can't make serious improvements. 

That's not what always happens.  Players tend to improve with experience and age and reach their prime in their mid to late 20s.  I think goal scoring may regress for Hogz, but other parts of his game will likely improve.

29 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

In all fairness the structure has been completely revamped now. Not sure how much of that was reflective of Johnson and more so shite work from the parent club.

This line of thinking is so wrong. You can't just tell the other team they're talking Mikheyev instead of Kuz. That's not how trades work. This is not EA sports. What a hairbrained thought.

I don't see any point in bringing in more project wingers. We are trying to shed these players like Podkolzin, not add them. We're trying to win this year.

Once again, this doesn't help them at all. They could simply bring up a cheaper player from their own system, or pluck any number of players of the waiver list. All this does is flesh out a thin roster for them, but it's nothing they couldn't have doe without Podkolzin.

They were both drafted the same year. Hoglander proved his worth last year and Podkolzin didn't. What more can you say?

Podz was never given a fair chance to prove his worth tbh.. I don’t even think he was given a shot in the top 6 in preseason and he was literally stapled to the 4th line in his limited time in the lineup. Hoglander was given way more opportunity in an offensive role than podz ever had in his tenure

• Cheers 1

Canucks get something for someone they might have lost on waivers.. but is the 4th round pick worth letting him have a kick at the can in training camp?  Not from what I know - which isn’t much admittedly.

They just signed him to a 1x2 that could prove good value even if he’s just a bottom 6 guy. And to Edmonton no less.

Feels like there’s more going on, since all we gain is:

a measly 4th, 

a bit of cap space vs league minimum if he made the roster

a contract spot

vs a guy we took 10OA and was touted at #3 pre draft.  Obviously he’ll never be THAT guy, but I thought he was playing well after a pretty rough injury last season. 

Needless to say, I don’t like the move but the overall body of work done by management gives them the benefit of the doubt.  Pods just screams “guy who needs a fresh start” too. 

Edited by The Duke
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, RomanPer said:

Personal first hand knowledge from a person to whom Podz made these statements.

I see.  With no disrespect, please excuse me for taking that source with a grain of salt.

Just now, The Lock said:

Yes. It really is these days.

I don't agree with that.  I think lots of players are "okay" hockey players in their early 20s and then really find their stride in the back half of their 20s.

Just now, HKSR said:

I see.  With no disrespect, please excuse me for taking that source with a grain of salt.

It's completely up to you how many grains of salt you want to take it with. I fully trust this information.

• Vintage 1

I think this could very well be a combination of Millstein and Podz wanting a fresh start and more opportunity. Especially if they knew Podz wasn't going to get the playing time he admitted needed and was likely going to spend another full year year in Abby. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 2

6 minutes ago, HKSR said:

That's not what always happens.  Players tend to improve with experience and age and reach their prime in their mid to late 20s.  I think goal scoring may regress for Hogz, but other parts of his game will likely improve.

I hope you're right. but it will take a lot of growth on his end. he's not going to get the same opportunities gifted to him by default with the forward depth the team now has, and repeating goalscoring numbers like that without powerplay time or top 6 minutes is a huge ask. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, RomanPer said:

It's completely up to you how many grains of salt you want to take it with. I fully trust this information.

That's fine, but I don't think many people would go around touting that as truth without more and legitimate sources that are public knowledge. 

Just now, tas said:

I hope you're right. but it will take a lot of growth on his end. he's not going to get the same opportunities gifted to him by default with the forward depth the team now has, and repeating goalscoring numbers like that without powerplay time or top 6 minutes is a huge ask. 

I'm OK with it if his production Dips a bit.  If he becomes a more complete player, he will be more useful overall.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Podz was never given a fair chance to prove his worth tbh.. I don’t even think he was given a shot in the top 6 in preseason and he was literally stapled to the 4th line in his limited time in the lineup. Hoglander was given way more opportunity in an offensive role than podz ever had in his tenure

Not true.  EP was demoted to the third line for a spell, Green/Bruce's first year.   He also played with JT Miller and Horvat.  Brass was patient with him as well, waiting for his KHL contract to be finished.   EP centered Hogs and Podz under Bruce to get EP going.  

Edited by IBatch

Just now, HKSR said:

I don't agree with that.  I think lots of players are "okay" hockey players in their early 20s and then really find their stride in the back half of their 20s.

Okay, so if Joshua stays in St. Louis does he find the same success? In fact Joshua wasn't even drafted by St. Louis, he was drafted by Toronto. 

Most of the late bloomers tend to get traded before they find that game and actually have a spot in the NHL.

And if you're argument is about players who already found their game in the NHL and then improved later on... that's not the path Joshua went. He had only played 42 games by the time he was 26 and no games before the age of 24. Joshua's path is unique and the exception. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, HKSR said:

That's fine, but I don't think many people would go around touting that as truth without more and legitimate sources that are public knowledge. 

What do you call "legitimate"? He said to his teammate that he "hates khokhols" and that he hopes putin takes care of Ukraine really fast. He also sat down when a local choir sang Ukrainian anthem during one of the games in California with Abby Canucks while everyone else stood and he actively tried to pull down one of his teammates standing. I don't really care whether you believe it or not, I know it to be a fact, that's all. Move on.

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

True...

Given RomanPer's history on this forum, I trust he'd be telling the truth. I'll vouch for him if that means anything to you.

I don't see such accusations as something that would be just thrown around at random.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2