(Trade) Podkolzin to Edmonton

1 minute ago, Agkr3w said:

Wish we had Matt Boldy, sucks. 

Canucks let a smart guy in Brackett go, he wanted Boldy is the rumour but the GM at the time was salivating over Pod instead and now here we are years from every finding out if that 4th rd pick will ever amount to anything instead!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

I've been trying to argue that Podkolzin still has a runway to develop further.  I don't think that's a farfetched idea.

Yes... I whole hardedly agree.  The return was so weak... it just makes sense to give him one last chance... If they got a 2nd... I'd still be pissed but could understand a trade.  The 4th was like salt on a wound.   Unless there's something else coming down in form of a trade etc.  This is just a head shaker. 

• Like 1

Just now, The Lock said:

I'm not going to debate that. Pods could develop Edmonton. Some players need that change of scenery. Hell, even Joshua did. lol

But again, it's an exception after a certain point. Let's be clear: not an exception currently given Podz is only 23, but the longer he takes, the less likely he's to become a full time NHLer. If he takes as long as Joshua, THAT is the exception. Does that make sense?

But Podz could break out next year as many other players did before him.  He's not 25yo.  He just turned 23.  This coming season could be a turning point in his career one way or another which is why I don't like this trade.  

• ThereItIs 1

Just now, HKSR said:

But Podz could break out next year as many other players did before him.  He's not 25yo.  He just turned 23.  This coming season could be a turning point in his career one way or another which is why I don't like this trade.  

Like I said, I'm not debating that. I'm saying the longer he takes the less likely he's to become an NHLer full time.

• Like 1

Just now, The Lock said:

Like I said, I'm not debating that. I'm saying the longer he takes the less likely he's to become an NHLer full time.

Yup I agree.  If he was 25yo, I'd be fine with this trade.

• ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, Viking said:

risk Aman on waivers...the guy is a plug with no offense, we could easily claim someone or even give a Farm player a chance to have the same role as Aman like Bains for example or maybe Karlsson.

I thought Aman played the way Tochett wanted him to. He's still a center with NHL experience so the Baines comparison doesn't make sense but the Karlsson one might.

Just now, HKSR said:

Yup I agree.  If he was 25yo, I'd be fine with this trade.

Haha full circle huh.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I'm starting to think Podz likely needed the change in scenery based on my past few posts here.

Just now, GrammaInTheTub said:

Would you rather have a successful Canucks club or let the terrorists win?

Hahaha, I won't answer that question.  I don't want the government coming after me lol

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

Haha full circle huh.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I'm starting to think Podz likely needed the change in scenery based on my past few posts here.

Yeah agree to disagree 😆

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I'm saying it's extreme to say that he had all the opportunity in the world.  I'd argue he didn't given his ice time and deployment.

he was given top 6 opportunity in the AHL and 1st PP time and still only produced meager numbers.  It's a results driven business.

Look... Podz got married, became a father and was adjusting to a new country, new team and ice surface all at the age of 20.  Then, dealing with a serious concussion and 3 different coaches!  Maybe why his development slowed?  hmmm... I wonder?  This was a hasty decision. 

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, Pure961089 said:

he was given top 6 opportunity in the AHL and 1st PP time and still only produced meager numbers.  It's a results driven business.

Hoglander put up 32pts in 45games in the AHL.

Podkolzin put up 28pts in 44 games.

Pretty similar IMO.  

Hoglander broke out in his 4th NHL season.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Hogs and Podz said:

Look... Podz got married, became a father and was adjusting to a new country, new team and ice surface all at the age of 20.  Then, dealing with a serious concussion and 3 different coaches!  Maybe why his development slowed?  hmmm... I wonder?  This was a hasty decision. 

Other players dealt with major life changes adjusting to pro life as well and did okay. Acknowledge the concussion is a significant variable of his though. I’d have been okay giving him another year to piece it together, but that’s not what happened so we all just have to hope this doesn’t burn us. 

• Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, Viking said:

Do you think Klimovich wants a fresh start with a new organization? Seems our management has very little interest in keeping any Russians given the recent trades they have made shipping all them out of town, some to Alberta rivals nonetheless

Definitely not. Klimovich loves Vancouver and is determined to make it work here. He's mentally recharged after finally seeing his family for the first time in 3 years. Also got a lot more cheap ice time over the summer in Belarus.

• Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, HKSR said:

You're telling me a player doesn't find their game and improves when they hit their mid to late 20s?

Tage Thompson is a solid example.  Nazem Kadri is another.  

tage thompson had a 40 point regression this past season. 

I didn’t like this at first. The more I think about it the more I understand it, even if there is no following move. If Podz wasn’t going to make the team out of training camp, we would lose him for nothing on waivers, and he would have very little value at that time if we tried to trade him. It seems management doesn’t think he will make the cut for the team this year, and capitalized on the highest return for him. Alvin seems very practical and shrewd. I think we just just relax a bit and continue to trust the process, since it’s got us this far already. 

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

Once again, this doesn't help them at all. They could simply bring up a cheaper player from their own system, or pluck any number of players of the waiver list. All this does is flesh out a thin roster for them, but it's nothing they couldn't have doe without Podkolzin.

Which players are on  waivers before today when the decision to match has to be made? Yes they could have brought someone up but who, I don’t see any RWs ready to go and none are making much less than Podz. They’ve got Stefan James and Brady Stonehouse (21 &20) making $800k+.

If all it does is flesh out their roster why is Bowman making the last minute deal? 

For sure the heavy lifting was getting rid of Ceci’s contract but Bowman obviously sees Podz as part of the solution. He has more options this morning than yesterday imo.

4 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Pretty similar IMO.  

I don't really view last season as a breakout year for hoglander. it was like, good rookie year, 2 years of regression, and then finally back to where he was as a rookie. 

it was a back on track year, not a breakout year imo. 

• ThereItIs 1

Now that the shock has worn off, I think dumping Podkolzin was inevitable. However, I'm a little surprised they traded him to Edmonton. I think it shows how little regard they have for him as a player  to trade him to a rival. In Allvin, we trust!

1 hour ago, PistolPete13 said:

As I recall, early on in the playoffs, Tocchett stayed out after practice, giving Podz some extra coaching. Podz never did get any significant ice time in the playoffs. ( one game?). 

Holloway did things in the playoffs this year. His line made a difference. Podz would have a hard time filling those shoes if he couldn’t even draw in for a Canucks team that needed a shot of energy.

Sure the Oilers would prefer Holloway but that may or may not happen. Podz is clearly depth to replace Holloway if the Oilers do not match...regardless of whether Podz's performance on the the ice is equivalent or not.

1 minute ago, Hogs and Podz said:

Just proving that development isn't always linear.  

for sure. but having a breakout year in your mid 20s doesn't mean things are going to keep moving that direction afterward, either. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

10 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Pretty similar IMO.  

Hoglander produced 24 even strength goals in the NHL largely on the 4th line.  Podkolzin scored 2 assists on 21 games.  that's the difference.  Hoglander took the puck to the net, Podkolzin knew the recipe for success but refused to do it

Edited by Pure961089
  • ThereItIs 1