(Trade) Podkolzin to Edmonton

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Suter definitely was the best player with Miller and Brock.   Can't say it's on the club for development, given the commitment to the KHL was built in with the draft pick, and what Colliton has managed at the AHL level with who he's got (roster).  Podz lost most of last years season due to his hospitalization and conscussion, bad luck for sure.   PDG wouldn't get us anything.    And at this venture, brass considers a better option, probably Bains too.   It's truly too bad, given he was supposed to go as high as 3rd.    His floor is high, ceiling low.    If he can get things together, for sure has a shot with EDM, or somewhere else.    

Podz played a couple hundred minutes Green/Bruce year, got looks with EP, Horvat and Miller.  100 minutes is a tryout ... best lines play 400 or more with each other.   Even Brock played all over the place, only 200 and change with Miller his 99 point season.    In short he's had middle six time.   Nothing came from it, and we don't know what is going on at camp either.    What happens next likely will be part of this trade too.   Said it a couple months ago, there is no room for both Hogs and Podz together on this team, that was before Sprong.    Kind of blows too.   But that's part of having some success, they keep piling on success as the main metric.   And after whole lot of time trying to manage assets, losing him to waivers < Ottawa's fourth rounder. 

i would gladly lose pdg for nothing then get a 4th rounder for podz if the reason to keep pdg over podz is u can get a 4th for podz and nothing for pdg.. considering the canucks haven't had a 4th round pick that turned into even a fringe player.. canucks have a grand total of 41 games out of the 4th rounders combined since the 90s that's 34 years of drafting. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

I think some are considering Podkolzin as a #10 overall pick who was going to be a star. Unfortunately, there are a lot of former top 10 picks that have been busts. It happens to many teams, if not all of them. It's too bad, I had high hopes for Podz too. He wasn't good enough to crack the Canucks lineup, but Lekkerimaki will be. Good times ahead.

I'm expecting another trade, Canucks are gonna kick some butt next season. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Sounds like he didn't, in any way, see the move coming ...

This isn't like when Bernie Nichols played second line center behind Gretzky and scored over 150 points for LA, asked the owner if he was "safe" and if he should buy a house, was told absolutely, went out and bought a house and was traded a few months later.   Making a couple hundred K a season.   By some of the reactions, you'd think it was though. 

• Vintage 1

34 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

i would gladly lose pdg for nothing then get a 4th rounder for podz if the reason to keep pdg over podz is u can get a 4th for podz and nothing for pdg.. considering the canucks haven't had a 4th round pick that turned into even a fringe player.. canucks have a grand total of 41 games out of the 4th rounders combined since the 90s that's 34 years of drafting. 

Maybe they were doing Podz a solid because they knew he'd be riding the pine here.   Just like they did Brisbois a solid and signed him to an NHL contract x 2 years, for years of service and well because he didn't look out of place during Tochetts 4 AHL D days when he first arrived.    At least this way, he won't be the 13-14th forward. 

Edit: Also the averages, 12.5% of all rounds combined past the third round, you will find an NHLer.   That's one every 8 years or so combined, that will play 200 games.   Not very good.    AG was the last one to do that (5th round).   Where the Canuck's have really shit the bed , is not finding anyone in the 3rd round since Edler.   Should have 2 since him, 12.5% chance of that too.    Ronnie Stern was the last 4th rounder that made an impact in the NHL for the Canucks ... 1986 lol, and he went ended up in CAL. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

or maybe the Oilers took Pods out of spite because Allvin wouldn't help them out of their offer sheet jam and he told them to pound sand.  this is there stick it to the Canucks move 

Allvin didn't have to make the move. 

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, German Canuck said:

And with this difference the canucks are under the cap without using LTIR

So? It's maybe 100k accrued cap space at the DL Whoopi! I didn't crunch the numbers but it's peanuts. We only accrue a decent amount of we run a 21 man roster. Then it's maybe pushing 2m. But at what cost? 

6 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

yeah, you're right he could have pulled a Benning and let him walk for free.

It also fits his MO, he acts, doesn't react.  Did this with Horvat, Hronek, Zadarov and Lindholm.   He doesn't wait for the market to come to him, he creates the market. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

yeah, you're right he could have pulled a Benning and let him walk for free.

I guess that's the thing right. He was going on waivers so they got what they could. IMO stinks but I guess our capologists have a plan. Willing to wait and see before passing judgment. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

7 hours ago, rmok said:

?? 

Again. There is nothing here of value for the Canucks, so why do it? It helps the oilers and not the Canucks. Its at best senseless for the Canucks and at worst might end up harmful if he turns it around with the oil. It's a dumb trade. Not sure why you feel the need to defend it. 

Because the dude is going nowhere and why do you want to hold on to hike so bad for?

23 minutes ago, Lemon Face said:

He had to,because he is good GM.They are not tied for players like we are.Alvine has picture in his head what he want to do.Every good GM do

The point is regarding some idea that EDM did this out of "spite" for some imagined slight(s).   My reply to that was simply "he didn't have to make the move".   Allvin wasn't forced.   Obviously he wasn't on the opening night roster.  And that's without any other guys winning a job (Lekkermaki or Raty or whomever, doubt that happens too).  .   Suggested Allvin did Podz a solid sending him to a cap imbalanced/strapped  team where he actually has a decent shot at playing regular NHL minutes upcoming season.   Riding the pine isn't going to help his development, or is it going to help his bank account.    Allvin must feel pretty confident about this move, think he deserves the benefit of the doubt, and Podz will get over it quickly if he's going to make their team.    If he's their 13th forward, the risk of waivers passes over to them as well. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Huggy Bear 1

11 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

So? It's maybe 100k accrued cap space at the DL Whoopi! I didn't crunch the numbers but it's peanuts. We only accrue a decent amount of we run a 21 man roster. Then it's maybe pushing 2m. But at what cost? 

you definatly didnt crunch the numbers ha ha. but thats ok. but why would we need more than 21 on a roster any given day?

12 forwards, 6 D, 2 goalies. thats 20. So you add a D as an option.

You are accruing cap on Poolman and 3 other guys who sit out. Its not 100k by tdl, its more like 3.5M which then can be used on a 7M guy because we only have him for half the year.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, EastCoastExpress said:

you definatly didnt crunch the numbers ha ha. but thats ok. but why would we need more than 21 on a roster any given day?

You are accruing cap on Poolman and 3 other guys who sit out. Its not 100k by tdl, its more like 3.5M which then can be used on a 7M guy because we only have him for half the year.

And once you add retention with 3rd parties things can get pretty interesting.  

• ThereItIs 1

6 minutes ago, EastCoastExpress said:

No it's not if poolman counts against the cap. You only accrue the additional capspace

42 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

No it's not if poolman counts against the cap. You only accrue the additional capspace

The way Cap works, is you get charged for the actual roster line up of the day of the game.

Cap is actually a daily calculation, but we all just summarize it as the year's cap hit if the player plays 82 games.

You accrue cap space on anyone on the roster that is not on the game day roster. Poolman will never be on the game day roster, you accrue his daily cap space every game. (which is 1/82 of his yearly AAV)

for example!  If Soucy needs ankle time and misses 5 games, you accrue his 3.5M divided by 82 games times 5 days.

I did crunch the numbers, and just Soucy out for 5 games adds $213,414.63 to the accrued space.

Because we used LTIR last year:

We did not accrue Soucy's missed games.

joshua missed games,

Demko missed games (if any before TDL of course)

Myers missed games.

PDG benched games

Aman benched games

the list goes on quite a bit. Of course it stops at TDL so Poolman contract gives you about half of his AVV, 1.25M but I assure you the others benched or on IR add up to way over 2.5 that we would have for Poolman on LTIR.

Edited by EastCoastExpress

The Canucks have new players coming to the parent team, which, means others have already been moved, or will be.

Canucks are extremely excited about their new players. To begin, a couple must have been informed, they'd be playing in Abbotsford to start.

Podkolzin has been in both and TBH, hasn't hit the ball out of the park in either league. I'm not surprised Alvin made this move.

Wish Pod'z all the best.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

I don't care that they gave him up for peanuts...but to give him to Edmonton? Stupid. Just lose him on waivers honestly over helping those fucks. 

Management just handed the Oils a 1 million dollar debt to add to thier Cap problems.

gave us room to have more contracts if needed. We have full roster without Podz, Aman or PDG. We have better guys in ABBY if we need them to come up.

We didnt help the Oils, we gave them another problem.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Westcoasting said:

Because the dude is going nowhere and why do you want to hold on to hike so bad for?

It is an unnecessary risk. 

Even if you are playing the percentages... 

What's the likelihood of Podz beating out the others bottom 6 forwards at camp? 

What's the likelihood of a 4th round pick panning out? 

What's the likelihood of Podz being a regular contributor on the Oilers?

To me, I feel like we should have kept Podz and then waives him after camp and let a bottom feeder take him not Edmonton

10 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

It is an unnecessary risk. 

Even if you are playing the percentages... 

What's the likelihood of Podz beating out the others bottom 6 forwards at camp? 

What's the likelihood of a 4th round pick panning out? 

What's the likelihood of Podz being a regular contributor on the Oilers?

To me, I feel like we should have kept Podz and then waives him after camp and let a bottom feeder take him not Edmonton

Canucks have sent Podkolzin as an agent under cover to disrupt the edmonton locker room. Good luck Podz! we want more Mcdavid crying videos please!

Edited by EastCoastExpress

36 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

I don't care that they gave him up for peanuts...but to give him to Edmonton? Stupid. Just lose him on waivers honestly over helping those fucks. 

Cmon.People would say,he couldn't got even late pick for 10 overall.You cant make happy everybody.Something is better then nothing.I am not scared of Edmonton.

Edited by Lemon Face
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Sounds like he didn't, in any way, see the move coming ...

Wait ….professional athletes have furniture from ikea? 

I thought that place was for poor people like myself 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, EastCoastExpress said:

Canucks have sent Podkolzin as an agent under cover to disrupt the edmonton locker room. Good luck Podz! we want more Mcdavid crying videos please!

This is all part of the Amazon Prime story... Podz undercover... Oh boy, Amazon streaming is gonna be way better than Rodgers and CBC!