(Trade) Podkolzin to Edmonton

What was the last Canuck 4th rounder that had NHL potential? Rathbone? (2017) Jordan Subban? (2013) Both didn’t end up playing any NHL games for us but did bring us Nik Dowd and Friedman who are NHLers. It dawned on me and made me wonder what our last impactful 4th round pick was.

The two names I mentioned did not make an impact on the ice but in our transactions they did. 

2 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Also, it wouldn't surprise me if Millstein helped that along to get him that fresh start. 

I can understand the need for a fresh start from Podz's perspective as well. It would be hard to keep having hope after five years when the goal posts keep moving with all the changes, guys are passing you by, and the team keeps bringing in more experienced players. Like you say, that could be the impetus for him to figure it out. 

Good point about what we don't see. You're right about management, coaching staff, etc, being so close. So many jump to conclusions, make assumptions, and want things to be true. The reality is that there's so much more to things like this we'll never know. Some things aren't meant for public knowledge. It happens in all walks of life and business. 

It's very true what you say about moving goalposts. One day he's given free reign to make mistakes and grow, play with Petey and Miller from time to time. Then demoted for his own good, then told to work on stuff, all while some other players seemingly get chances he doesn't. Then some bad teams, time to work on your game after a disaster team, a bad injury, a whole slew of new guys, then huge team success, lack of progression, then gone. That's part of becoming an NHL pro though too.

He's a really great guy but I think he has some growing up to do. Who knows how accurate the IKEA tweet is but it makes it seem like this was kind of a surprise to him. It really shouldn't have been. So many of us already had him going out out the door. Certainly he should have seen how tough it was going to be to make it, along with his waiver status, and tenure with the team, he was on very shaky ground.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Also, it wouldn't surprise me if Millstein helped that along to get him that fresh start. 

I can understand the need for a fresh start from Podz's perspective as well. It would be hard to keep having hope after five years when the goal posts keep moving with all the changes, guys are passing you by, and the team keeps bringing in more experienced players. Like you say, that could be the impetus for him to figure it out. 

Good point about what we don't see. You're right about management, coaching staff, etc, being so close. So many jump to conclusions, make assumptions, and want things to be true. The reality is that there's so much more to things like this we'll never know. Some things aren't meant for public knowledge. It happens in all walks of life and business. 

Milstein isn’t Podkolzin’s agent. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tas said:

do you have any idea how many ukrainians are in edmonton? they call it edmonchuk for a reason. 

1 hour ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Where are you hearing that rumour? So far the only place I have heard that from is one dude one a fan forum who's source was trust me bro.

Dudedad What GIF

23 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

It's very true what you say about moving goalposts. One day he's given free reign to make mistakes and grow, play with Petey and Miller from time to time. Then demoted for his own good, then told to work on stuff, all while some other players seemingly get chances he doesn't. Then some bad teams, time to work on your game after a disaster team, a bad injury, a whole slew of new guys, then huge team success, lack of progression, then gone. That's part of becoming an NHL pro though too.

He's a really great guy but I think he has some growing up to do. Who knows how accurate the IKEA tweet is but it makes it seem like this was kind of a surprise to him. It really shouldn't have been. So many of us already had him going out out the door. Certainly he should have seen how tough it was going to be to make it, along with his waiver status, and tenure with the team, he was on very shaky ground.

Part of being a pro, I agree, but also reason to put an end to this process that's seemingly not working for him here and give the kid a fresh start. I do believe if he can figure it out elsewhere that all of the obstacles and what he's learned to date will only make him a better pro. That's IF he can figure it out. 

But like you say, that bad injury may also be a factor. 

I would tend to believe he was aware that something could happen but was surprised when it actually happened when it happened. But if not, he's young and that's how we learn. A lot of this really comes down to his waiver status, like you mention. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Pretty weak compared to the Shikaruk trade thread. 😉

Oof that hit me in the feels. I was a big Shinkaruk fan. Especially after seeing him at the young stars his first camp and preseason. I was sold on his enthusiasm the kid just loved to score. It was sad to watch that exuberance finally coached out of him. 

Edited by Hammertime
  • Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

Oof that hit me in the feels. I was a big Skikaruk fan. Especially after seeing him at the young stars his first camp and preseason. I was sold on his enthusiasm the kid just loved to score. It was sad to watch that exuberance finally coached out of him. 

Yeah, I was too. That preseason had me pretty excited for him. I felt there was a brief moment of momentum with him that should have led to a couple more auditions with the big club. At least to follow up on his second good season in Utica. 

His timing as a prospect was also overshadowed by the immediacy of Horvat as the future. 

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Jester13 said:

He'll get lots of playing time when Edmonton waives him and he gets claimed by the Sharks or Hawks. 

Agreed, if the Oilers are so bad they need Pods then they're not as deep a team as they think. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Pure961089 said:

Agreed, if the Oilers are so bad they need Pods then they're not as deep a team as they think. 

Did we ever think they were deep? The Oilers have an unreal top 6 but their weakness was their depth.

Podz will stick on the team and will carve out a nice role on 3rd or 4th line. He's exactly what the oilers need. Bottom 6 guy with size and decent speed and high hockey IQ for making safe plays and suppressing chances against. All he needs to do is hold the opposition at bay while the top 6 and PP does the scoring. 

Oilers Achilles heel was bottom 6 getting scored on while top guys were resting. Podz will help with that. 

3 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Podz will stick on the team and will carve out a nice role on 3rd or 4th line. He's exactly what the oilers need. Bottom 6 guy with size and decent speed and high hockey IQ for making safe plays and suppressing chances against. All he needs to do is hold the opposition at bay while the top 6 and PP does the scoring. 

Oilers Achilles heel was bottom 6 getting scored on while top guys were resting. Podz will help with that. 

Podz will get waived by the Coilers. He has low IQ. He processes the pkay very poorly which causes him to play too slow to be an NHLer, in any role. 

4 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

I can see him carving out a bottom six role with the Oilers. He may never score as he was projected to do, but he can still have a productive NHL career. Sorry to see such a young and promising young player leave the organization. It's too bad. I wish him well, but not too well, and especially not against us. 

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I can see him carving out a bottom six role with the Oilers. He may never score as he was projected to do, but he can still have a productive NHL career. Sorry to see such a young and promising young player leave the organization. It's too bad. I wish him well, but not too well, and especially not against us. 

Yeah it's bitter sweet. I like the guy and it's not like he chose to go to the oilers. 

I really wish it was any other team in the east so that I could cheer for him. Sucks hoping that he becomes a bust. 

Just now, CanucksJay said:

Yeah it's bitter sweet. I like the guy and it's not like he chose to go to the oilers. 

I really wish it was any other team in the east so that I could cheer for him. Sucks hoping that he becomes a bust. 

He is already a bustaroo. He’s 23. 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Podz will get waived by the Coilers. He has low IQ. He processes the pkay very poorly which causes him to play too slow to be an NHLer, in any role. 

I didn't see it that way. Even as a rookie, I always saw Podz make the right safe play. Just 3 seasons ago, I thought he had the 2nd highest hockey IQ on this team after Petey. Never gambled, took what was there was always on the better side of the matchup.. Most of the time, the matchup was a stalemate but if a scoring chance was created, his line would usually be the one creating that chance rather than the opposing line.