(Trade) Podkolzin to Edmonton

He’s waiver eligible and won’t make the team so we would likely lose him for nothing if we held on to him. He might make the Oilers because of their lack of depth. I wonder if this means they won’t match Holloway. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, wai_lai416 said:

ok fine still.. why are we trading to edmonton? there's 0 interest in the league for a young power forward with upside?

How much upside is there really.  He requires waivers so either he's on your team or you risk losing him for nothing. The value seems pretty accurate. It's Ottawa's 4th. Maybe no worse teams than Ottawa offered a 4th. It's not like hrs likely to be an impact player so who cares that it's to Edmonton 

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Then why not do it in one trade? Plus who wants that bum?

Certainly seems like step 1 of something otherwise I don't get it.

I dunno man... But this doesn't make a lot of sense on its own. There has to be a "we moved Podz to do...x" move. Otherwise I'm not sure why you bother?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

Maybe he's just not an nhler in Vancouver.  I figured he wasn't long for this world when they went out and signed all those depth guys 

It's possible. I actually thought he was pretty close but not Swedish enough?? 😉

2 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Surprised.  Why give up on him so early? 

He's the same draft class as Hoagy. 

The return is low. 

Will see the big picture once the season roster is set.  Hopefully it's part of a bigger plan. 

Waiver requirement and the fact that he's dhown very little in the past few seasons to suggest he can be I. Vancouvers top 12 

1 minute ago, Jaimito said:

Surprised.  Why give up on him so early? 

He's the same draft class as Hoagy. 

The return is low. 

Will see the big picture once the season roster is set.  Hopefully it's part of a bigger plan. 

Not sure if it's early. He's 23 and, at that age, you kind of know what you have with 1st rounders 

I like Podz but we have 9 NHL caliber wingers on contract including 4 who were just signed this offseason. He was likely winger #10 on the depth chart and likely lower if Lekk shows he is close.

We also know this front office is proactive and looking for more depth on LHD. The cap space is a good start, and maybe they weren't sold on the likes of Kulak for that spot.

I think there will be more moving parts in Vancouver, Edmonton, and around the league leading up to the Oilers' Tuesday deadline looming.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Snoop Hogg said:

Or Karlsson. Maybe even Lekkerimaki wows the coaching staff and makes the team. Who knows?

Was thinking that was a possibility as well. I would say that this trade virtually guarantees that Edmonton is letting someone walk from those Offer Sheets.

• ThereItIs 1

Hopefully they're planning on using the pick as part of a package for another deal or something.  On it's own seems like a pretty bad return.  They've done things like this that turn into larger deals so I'm not too worried YET.

• ThereItIs 1

24 minutes ago, Snoop Hogg said:

I doubt any team would have offered more than a 3rd for him. He didn’t have a lot of value. 

Better than a third. Especially to a division rival. There’s gotta be another trade coming to make this make sense for me.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, VegasCanuck said:

Was thinking that was a possibility as well. I would say that this trade virtually guarantees that Edmonton is letting someone walk from those Offer Sheets.

Alvin knows we are bored.It is August.

• Haha 2
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

I dunno man... But this doesn't make a lot of sense on its own. There has to be a "we moved Podz to do...x" move. Otherwise I'm not sure why you bother?

Id be happier if poolman had gone with him.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

The team could have maybe squeezed out a 3rd somewhere, but other than that, the return is about fair at this stage

He isn't better than what we plan to roll with, so it's fine to move him for a pick.

Good luck to him.  Maybe something more planned in the UFA market for us with this bit of cap flexibility added.

• Cheers 1

Just now, SV. said:

The team could have maybe squeezed out a 3rd somewhere, but other than that, the return is about fair at this stage

He isn't better than what we plan to roll with, so it's fine to move him for a pick.

Good luck to him.  Maybe something more planned in the UFA market for us with this bit of cap flexibility added.

I imagine that if the could have gotten more, they would have 

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1