(Trade) Podkolzin to Edmonton

On 8/20/2024 at 12:51 PM, CanucksJay said:

I just don't know if Podz is that much worse than guys like Aman, PDG etc. 

I would have preferred to let him compete for a spot this camp rather than trading him for a lottery ticket 4th round pick. 

I just don't see how a kid who played 79 games in the NHL as a 20 Yo putting up 26 pts and a +7 and 9th highest scorer on the team all of a sudden forgot to play hockey. 

Even then I loved that his hockey iq was high. He made the correct plays every single time. 

Is not like we were a bottom feeding team that year. I think we finished 10th in the west. 

It's not the names you are giving that they are needing space for. It is the players like Sherwood, Sprong and even providing an oportunity for Lekerimaki. The first 2 definitely have spots and have earned them. I think Lekerimaki also had more of what we need arguably and I don't think it will be long for him to get to the big club. When it comes doen do it, the biggest thing was the possibility of losing Podz for nothing to waivers when he isn't a clear winner over some of the other options.

1 hour ago, Canucks2333 said:

It's not the names you are giving that they are needing space for. It is the players like Sherwood, Sprong and even providing an oportunity for Lekerimaki. The first 2 definitely have spots and have earned them. I think Lekerimaki also had more of what we need arguably and I don't think it will be long for him to get to the big club. When it comes doen do it, the biggest thing was the possibility of losing Podz for nothing to waivers when he isn't a clear winner over some of the other options.

Sherwood made the team. Lek is not ready. Sprong most likely has 12F secured unless he looks bad at camp

Im just talking this year where the 13th spot is still up for grabs between Aman PDG and perhaps 12F if Sprong looks lost in his own zone. 

I would rather take one more look at Podz where he can compete directly at camp and then lose him on waivers rather than giving him to the oilers for a 4th. 

3 hours ago, Ballisticsports said:

I think getting married and having a baby and now traded should do that, it just depends if he can turn it on, (I remember us being surprised when after drafting him that the Russians were playing him low minutes at the bottom of their lineup)

Canucks didn't have a spot for him and want to win now, I think they will flip that 4th sometime this year to shore up a position they will need help in as the year progresses, (they don't need to use it right away in case of injuries as well)

Spot on. That stuff really makes you realize if you truly are doing 100% and doing it correctly ... cause you have to now. 😄

That 4th is definitely in play, as are all of our assets for the right piece.

Podkolzin was a poor pick but he was also developed horribly. He's the type of guy who should develop on the 3rd or 4th line with no pressure on a mediocre team but of course Benning spent all of our money on expensive grinders. They should have just kept him in the minors until now.

• Cheers 3

39 minutes ago, The Lock said:

A lot more than you think. Even if you look at someone like Edmonton: Yakupov (1st overall), Puljujarvi (3rd overall), Paajarvi (10th overall)

Or look at Columbus in the 2000's: Leclaire (8th overall), Picard (8th overall), Brule (6th overall), Filatov (8th overall)... that's 4 in 8 years

And these are the 1st 2 teams I looked at. I'm sure you could go through the history of other NHL teams and find poor streaks of high end 1st round picks.

I've never understand why fans what to associate us as being the ONLY team who has periods of drafting poorly. That's clearly not going to be the case and you would have seen that had you actually done some homework on it.

Picard 8th overall

Iranian Media: At Least 103 Dead in Explosions at Soleimani’s Tomb

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Ballisticsports said:

Picard 8th overall

Iranian Media: At Least 103 Dead in Explosions at Soleimani’s Tomb

You actually made me to relook it up to make sure I had the spelling right (I did). lol

Although I also noticed he was on the Lewiston MAINEiacs.... I get wanting to be punny but what a dumb name for a team.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

I'll give you a recent dynasty.  Hawks picked Barker at 3, Skille at 7, and Beach at 11 in a 5 year period.

Exactly. There's quite a few. I literally stopped after the 2nd one I looked at.

1 hour ago, MikeyD said:

Value wise I'm fine with the trade. 

I just hate that this organization is hell bent on never letting young kids gain enough experience to see where it takes them.

THATS TOO BAD SO SAD ..THEY CAN NOT WAIT LONG..YOU NEED TO BE GOOD AT PROJECTING INTO FUTURE..HE JUST DID NOT HAVE THE MENTAL HEALTH TO PROGRESS...AS A FAN I CAN TELL..

39 minutes ago, HOCKEYGOD77 said:

THATS TOO BAD SO SAD ..THEY CAN NOT WAIT LONG..YOU NEED TO BE GOOD AT PROJECTING INTO FUTURE..HE JUST DID NOT HAVE THE MENTAL HEALTH TO PROGRESS...AS A FAN I CAN TELL..

image.gif.8ed61c2fddfc2bcfb7558eee167d7424.gif

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Podz will be on waivers. He’s KHL material. 

Am I out to lunch saying that Russian players find transitioning to the NHL the hardest? Podz played 2 seasons in the KHL before his move to the NHL. Typical Canuck development was to put him into the NHL immediately and brand him as the 2nd coming of JT Miller. After 3 coaches and a struggle to adapt he is moved out. One of my questions would be comparing Podz to Raty. Both struggled but Atu seems to be adjusting and will likely play for the Canucks. I would also say Raty is a C and not a winger which IMHO is tougher in the NHL. 

17 hours ago, Rekker said:

Listening to NHL Network just now. Pods is the Oilers youngest forward making McD the next oldest. Crazy. 

those 2 and draisaitl are their only forwards under 30. hell, they're all 31 or over if you also subtract connor brown who turns 31 in january. 

Edited by tas
  • Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Am I out to lunch saying that Russian players find transitioning to the NHL the hardest? Podz played 2 seasons in the KHL before his move to the NHL. Typical Canuck development was to put him into the NHL immediately and brand him as the 2nd coming of JT Miller. After 3 coaches and a struggle to adapt he is moved out. One of my questions would be comparing Podz to Raty. Both struggled but Atu seems to be adjusting and will likely play for the Canucks. I would also say Raty is a C and not a winger which IMHO is tougher in the NHL. 

My understanding was that Raty moved to the wing and it was part of him finding success. Am I wrong? I didn’t see that many Abbotsford games.

• Like 1