(Trade) Podkolzin to Edmonton

I think we gave up on this kid way to fast. I think he's gonna be a hell of a player down the road. I get the trade but hate that it's too Edmonton. Too much risk for my liking cause if he pans out, we're gonna look like major dumbs dumbs 

• Like 1

Probably best they got a 4th for Pod before he spends all year in Abby and his value sinks even lower. With PDG, Karlsson and Bains higher on Tocchet's the depth chart, and Pod looking completely stunted - I'm totally fine with them moving on.

Could it look bad down the road? Maybe, but I kind of doubt it. Bust is a bust.

Hopefully he plays even worse in YEG and makes this 4th look like a steal. 

Edited by luckylager
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Canucks signed 2 RWs in the offseason.  They made their minds up to trade Podz sometime ago.

I would have preferred if they had not traded him to Edmonton though.

I wonder if it's because Edmonton offered the best with Ottawa's 4th. 

Maybe no other team offered anything better. 

13 hours ago, luckylager said:

Probably best they got a 4th for Pod before he spends all year in Abby and his value sinks even lower. With PDG, Karlsson and Bains higher on Tocchet's the depth chart, and Pod looking completely stunted - I'm totally fine with them moving on.

I think there's a chance that Podkolzin resurrects his career. But if the past is any indication of the future, then I also don't think so. Could be a serviceable middle six to bottom six player in the NHL. I mean, those kinds of players are a dime a dozen. But is PDG, Karlsson and Bains better than Podkolzin, or does Podz simply have a better draft pedigree as a former first round top ten pick, while those other guys don't have that cache. 

13 hours ago, CactusJack said:

I think we gave up on this kid way to fast. I think he's gonna be a hell of a player down the road. I get the trade but hate that it's too Edmonton. Too much risk for my liking cause if he pans out, we're gonna look like major dumbs dumbs 

Yes... unfortunately this management team made a big error trading Podz.  Still sad... he'd had made a difference this coming season and just steadily improve.  

13 hours ago, luckylager said:

all these guys you mentioned aren't even close to have the ceiling Podz has imho poor comparison. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Hogs and Podz said:

Yes... unfortunately this management team made a big error trading Podz.  Still sad... he'd had made a difference this coming season and just steadily improve.  

all these guys you mentioned aren't even close to have the ceiling Podz has imho poor comparison. 

Podz is 23 and has had ample opportunity to be an NHLer. He’s just not good enough. The Oilers will waive him and he will head to the KHL instead of playing AHL again. 

16 hours ago, CactusJack said:

Way too fast? I disagree with that. Yes there might be some unknown upside there, but lets keep it 100 here, he was no where CLOSE to making the roster the last 2 training camps. I didn't like the trade but I understood why it was made. He might make it with Edmonton, who knows but he was given a lot of rope here and certainly was not worth his top 10 status. Its another whiff in our supposed "draft guru"'s resumee

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Hogs and Podz said:

No he hasn't, he's never once threatened to make the team based on his preseason after his rookie year

• Vintage 1

8 hours ago, Hogs and Podz said:

I'm not comparing players, just stating the obvious - Pod was low on Tocchet's depth chart. As far as it goes - Pod's ceiling may not be very high after all. 

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Podkolzin's development years were not ideal.  We know his time in the KHL was filled with limited

ice time, although he had a super run in the playoffs in the final yer.

In Vancouver, he joined an organization in upheaval and experienced having 3 NHL coaches and

an AHL coach in three years. Not exactly the best climate to learn the NA pro game.  When the

management and Tocc entered the picture the new Canucks were talking about making the

playoffs and building a team that could compete with the best in the NHL.  Soon they were signing

vet players to fill bottom 6 lines; players that knew the pro game well and could play the way Tocc

required.  Podz was unable to compete with such players and his number of games per season,

dropped dramatically.

When fans were talking about a trade, I was hoping he would go to a rebuilding team, where he

would get to play more and might even find a role on the team.  There is no pressure on these young

teams, so they can grow together without the critical eyes on them.

Now he is an Oiler, which is a contending team.  I think he will continue to struggle, much like he did

in Vancouver last season.  Hopefully Podz will find his way to a rebuilding team, but it may be to

late in his development window. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

46 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Podkolzin's development years were not ideal.  We know his time in the KHL was filled with limited

ice time, although he had a super run in the playoffs in the final yer.

In Vancouver, he joined an organization in upheaval and experienced having 3 NHL coaches and

an AHL coach in three years. Not exactly the best climate to learn the NA pro game.  When the

management and Tocc entered the picture the new Canucks were talking about making the

playoffs and building a team that could compete with the best in the NHL.  Soon they were signing

vet players to fill bottom 6 lines; players that knew the pro game well and could play the way Tocc

required.  Podz was unable to compete with such players and his number of games per season,

dropped dramatically.

When fans were talking about a trade, I was hoping he would go to a rebuilding team, where he

would get to play more and might even find a role on the team.  There is no pressure on these young

teams, so they can grow together without the critical eyes on them.

Now he is an Oiler, which is a contending team.  I think he will continue to struggle, much like he did

in Vancouver last season.  Hopefully Podz will find his way to a rebuilding team, but it may be to

late in his development window. 

i loved his work ethic. 
i was upset we didn't put him in a position to really succeed. Before trading him, i would have put him in a top 6 role instead of Suter, for an extended period of time under the same coach for once. After that, if he still not reach the expectations, THEN i would be ok to let him go for what he can brings in exchange.  
before the 19' draft i noticed him in the young international tournament, and i wanted him at the draft. i took a KHL subscription to see him play in SKA, and i really liked his rookie year in Vancouver.
then it derailed. 
i was so relieved we extended him for two years... that this trade took me by surprise. I don't know why but i always liked this kid. i wish him the best and who knows, maybe in the future ? 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

This trade IMO will age badly. Regardless I don't think it's a huge loss. He'll be a decent but replaceable 3rd liner one day.  That day is not today and frankly I think he was not going to make the opening roster. Moving on. 

8 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

This trade IMO will age badly. Regardless I don't think it's a huge loss. He'll be a decent but replaceable 3rd liner one day.  That day is not today and frankly I think he was not going to make the opening roster. Moving on. 

But oilers can’t afford a “3rd line eventually” if he’s not ready he will be lost for nothing on waivers, guy couldn’t crack our lineup if he cracks oilers it goes to show you how much deeper we are, he wasn’t even a 13th forward for us 

• Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, Captain insano said:

But oilers can’t afford a “3rd line eventually” if he’s not ready he will be lost for nothing on waivers, guy couldn’t crack our lineup if he cracks oilers it goes to show you how much deeper we are, he wasn’t even a 13th forward for us 

So?

Of course we are deeper than the oilers. We also don't have Mcdavid. Podz has a better chance to make their roster. Cool beans. 

12 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

So?

Of course we are deeper than the oilers. We also don't have Mcdavid. Podz has a better chance to make their roster. Cool beans. 

You’re contradicting yourself…. You’re saying this trade will age badly?  I’m explaining how we just got a 4th for a player edm will more than likely lose to waivers this season when they realize he’s not an nhler, and for your random statement saying we don’t got McDavid no we don’t got mcdavid you’re right we got JT who completely shut him down in the playoffs 🤔 

3 hours ago, Captain insano said:

You’re contradicting yourself…. You’re saying this trade will age badly?  I’m explaining how we just got a 4th for a player edm will more than likely lose to waivers this season when they realize he’s not an nhler, and for your random statement saying we don’t got McDavid no we don’t got mcdavid you’re right we got JT who completely shut him down in the playoffs 🤔 

Not really I said what I said. The canucks are in a situation where we have a plethora of guys who are better right now. I feel strongly that Podz for a 4th one day will be looked at as a steal. In the same way as Grabner, Forsling. It may still take Podkolzin a couple years and teams but I feel like 28yo Potzlovin will be a very good middle 6 Pearson comparable. 

Hence my comment moving on. Alvin has made it clear he will rotate through those guys when opportunity strikes. As much as I loved Zadorov he cost penuts and even as a rental was well worth it. 

If one of Sprong, Heinen, Sherwood find lightning in a bottle with one of our core even if the rest flop it will have been a worthwhile endeavor. 

1 hour ago, Hammertime said:

Not really I said what I said. The canucks are in a situation where we have a plethora of guys who are better right now. I feel strongly that Podz for a 4th one day will be looked at as a steal. In the same way as Grabner, Forsling. It may still take Podkolzin a couple years and teams but I feel like 28yo Potzlovin will be a very good middle 6 Pearson comparable. 

Hence my comment moving on. Alvin has made it clear he will rotate through those guys when opportunity strikes. As much as I loved Zadorov he cost penuts and even as a rental was well worth it. 

If one of Sprong, Heinen, Sherwood find lightning in a bottle with one of our core even if the rest flop it will have been a worthwhile endeavor. 

I guess we agree on the situation just have a disagreement on podkolzins overall ceiling which hey either of us could be right, Russian factor scares me as well I feel if he doesn’t get full time nhl duty this season or big step he bolts to khl, and yes our offensive depth is insane which any contender should have is why I was bringing up the oilers if they are a true contender podkolzin won’t be a full time roster player which makes me feel he ends up on waivers and playing for the sharks or Montreal by December 

20 hours ago, DexM94 said:

i loved his work ethic. 
i was upset we didn't put him in a position to really succeed. Before trading him, i would have put him in a top 6 role instead of Suter, for an extended period of time under the same coach for once. After that, if he still not reach the expectations, THEN i would be ok to let him go for what he can brings in exchange.  
before the 19' draft i noticed him in the young international tournament, and i wanted him at the draft. i took a KHL subscription to see him play in SKA, and i really liked his rookie year in Vancouver.
then it derailed. 
i was so relieved we extended him for two years... that this trade took me by surprise. I don't know why but i always liked this kid. i wish him the best and who knows, maybe in the future ? 

That doesn't make a lot of sense. Would you have put him in a top 6 role for an extended time if it cost us the playoffs? That's a distinct possibility if you're the Gm and coach, and probably the most predictable scenario. This league is too good to just throw some plug in your top 6 for kicks and expect to go around beating the top teams. That's a rebuilding team type of move. Of course it's possible we may have still been successful considering how good a season we had but what a tangential plan. That would be like cementing Karlsson or Raty into the top 6 this year as well when we have already have all these better players vying for spots.

Was Pods more important than the team? I don't think so, he has had a huge amount of opportunity and chances. Even last year was a golden opportunity. We were short 2 legitimate top 6 players, and even the bottom 6 was completely open. We also have a coach who prefers players with Pod's exact skill set. He still got 19 games last year and failed to do anything whatsoever. I think this situation is entirely on his shoulders after ample opportunity to show something and make the team.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 2

18 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

That doesn't make a lot of sense. Would you have put him in a top 6 role for an extended time if it cost us the playoffs? That's a distinct possibility if you're the Gm and coach, and probably the most predictable scenario. This league is too good to just throw some plug in your top 6 for kicks and expect to go around beating the top teams. That's a rebuilding team type of move. Of course it's possible we may have still been successful considering how good a season we had but what a tangential plan. That would be like cementing Karlsson or Raty into the top 6 this year as well when we have already have all these better players vying for spots.

Was Pods more important than the team? I don't think so, he has had a huge amount of opportunity and chances. Even last year was a golden opportunity. We were short 2 legitimate top 6 players, and even the bottom 6 was completely open. We also have a coach who prefers players with Pod's exact skill set. He still got 19 games last year and failed to do anything whatsoever. I think this situation is entirely on his shoulders after ample opportunity to show something and make the team.

I was hoping Podz woud get a look with JT this year (and hopefully breakout like Hogs did with Petey).

Would he be any worse than Suter who saw time on that line last year ?

JT raved about Podz's ability so it seemed like worth a try.

• Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, Jayinblack said:

I was hoping Podz woud get a look with JT this year (and hopefully breakout like Hogs did with Petey).

Would he be any worse than Suter who saw time on that line last year ?

JT raved about Podz's ability so it seemed like worth a try.

Yeah I think Suter is/was obviously a way better option, and we actually saw that play out in reality. That was arguably our best line last year, even with the 3rd line clicking so well. I'm not really into analytics but with Suter I think they had the best metrics on the team. This was from another poster who knows this stuff really well. I mean Pods had every chance. He was at camp with everyone wasn't he? The coaches and FO watched him closely in pre-season and exhibition games. He just didn't cut it. Didn't even make the team if I recall correctly.

Hogs didn't break out with Petey, he broke out on his own playing on the fourth line, after he beat Pods out of a spot. He was scoring big goals at a good rate before being promoted to Petey's line. Not the other way around gifted a spot like you wanted with Pods. The comment from JT is 3 years old. It's not really relevant anymore imo. He also said:

“I know everybody’s in his corner. He’s such a great kid. Like I keep saying — and I guess time will tell — but you know, he’s always in great shape and you know every year that’s not going to be a problem and I know he’s going to be excited and you know, the more comfortable he feels, the better he’s going to get and I think we’re all excited to have him on our team this year.”

Time has told us he wasn't good enough to make 2023 or 2024's team.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah I think Suter is/was obviously a way better option, and we actually saw that play out in reality. That was arguably our best line last year, even with the 3rd line clicking so well. I'm not really into analytics but with Suter I think they had the best metrics on the team. This was from another poster who knows this stuff really well. I mean Pods had every chance. He was at camp with everyone wasn't he? The coaches and FO watched him closely in pre-season and exhibition games. He just didn't cut it. Didn't even make the team if I recall correctly.

Hogs didn't break out with Petey, he broke out on his own playing on the fourth line, after he beat Pods out of a spot. He was scoring big goals at a good rate before being promoted to Petey's line. Not the other way around gifted a spot like you wanted with Pods. The comment from JT is 3 years old. It's not really relevant anymore imo. He also said:

“I know everybody’s in his corner. He’s such a great kid. Like I keep saying — and I guess time will tell — but you know, he’s always in great shape and you know every year that’s not going to be a problem and I know he’s going to be excited and you know, the more comfortable he feels, the better he’s going to get and I think we’re all excited to have him on our team this year.”

Time has told us he wasn't good enough to make 2023 or 2024's team.

Agree 100%. JT is a leader on this team and had to be complimentary of our prospect. These kinds of statements have to be taken with a grain of salt, imo. For example: I remember a time when PK Subban said his brother Jordan (our prospect at the time) was the most talented of the three brothers (or something to that effect). 

• MillerTime 1

24 minutes ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

Agree 100%. JT is a leader on this team and had to be complimentary of our prospect. These kinds of statements have to be taken with a grain of salt, imo. For example: I remember a time when PK Subban said his brother Jordan (our prospect at the time) was the most talented of the three brothers (or something to that effect). 

Yeah, exactly, thanks for touching on that. I've re-read it a couple times now and it definitely feels more like words of encouragement as compared to this guy is going to be my linemate for the rest of my career.

I like Pods and have from the start but this seems like an extremely reasonable hockey decision made by people who have demonstrated very strong pro scouting so far.

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1