(Trade) Podkolzin to Edmonton

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

As much as a lunkhead Jake Virtanen was. We got over 300 games from him.

- 1986 1st round 7th overall. Dan Woodley. 5 NHL games 

- 1989 1st round, 9th overall, Jason Hester, 1 NHL game

- 1992 1st round 21st overall, Libor Polasek, No NHL games

- 1996 1st round, 12th overall, Josh Holden, 60 NHL games

- 2000 1st round, 23rd overall, Nathan Smith, 26 NHL games 

- 2007 1st round, 25th overall, Patrick White, No NHL games 

- 2011 1st round,  29th overall, Nick Jensen, 31 NHL Games

The sad thing for Vancouver in its history over a 30 year span that's better than 23% rate of messing up first round picks. 

Brock Boeser is one of the best later round picks the team has had (Along with Kesler). 

I really had high hopes for Josh Holden, I thought he was a steal lol.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

As much as a lunkhead Jake Virtanen was. We got over 300 games from him.

- 1986 1st round 7th overall. Dan Woodley. 5 NHL games 

- 1989 1st round, 9th overall, Jason Hester, 1 NHL game

- 1992 1st round 21st overall, Libor Polasek, No NHL games

- 1996 1st round, 12th overall, Josh Holden, 60 NHL games

- 2000 1st round, 23rd overall, Nathan Smith, 26 NHL games 

- 2007 1st round, 25th overall, Patrick White, No NHL games 

- 2011 1st round,  29th overall, Nick Jensen, 31 NHL Games

The sad thing for Vancouver in its history over a 30 year span that's better than 23% rate of messing up first round picks. 

Brock Boeser is one of the best later round picks the team has had (Along with Kesler). 

Man thank god we were at least able to turn Patrick White into Christian Ehrhoff but holy, that's a bad list. 

• Cheers 3

30 minutes ago, DexM94 said:

This is why i wanted Podz at the draft, and why we should had held a little longer. 

And you would have blown a gasket if he didn't make the team from training camp and he was claimed on waivers. 

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 2

43 minutes ago, DexM94 said:

This is why i wanted Podz at the draft, and why we should had held a little longer. 

I think a lot of us were stoked on Podz at the draft. He ran out of time, unfortunately. 

2019 was the draft we saw the Judd/JB rift and we weren't blessed with any smart food draft coverage. My guess is Judd wanted Boldy he had all the connections to the Americans we were drafting at that time. 

43 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

And you would have blown a gasket if he didn't make the team from training camp and he was claimed on waivers. 

Absolutely not. If he didn’t make the team AFTER the camp I would have carried him as 13th forward. We re-signed him for two years for nothing. 
i really hope it’s not for politic reasons. 

We honestly have such a bad drafting record. If you go on hockeydb and find our drafts throughout the years its embarrassing. We probably have drafted like 15 good players over our whole history of a hockey club. Idk what has to change but we really need to be better at drafting

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

Worked out well for Frankie Corrado

one of my favourite Canucks moments was watching Burrows rough up Frankie behind the play after FC became a Leaf, ha ha, priceless. 

Edited by Bob Long
  • Like 1

On 9/2/2024 at 1:32 PM, DexM94 said:

Highlights from Russia, vs. inferior talent compared to the NA game...and playing on only one side of the puck, while being a puck hog/hot dog like that in the NHL? Nyet....

All of that greatness equated to this in the NHL:

image.thumb.png.8de9db0f1cbd5d110deaf05a6f820eeb.png

He's not the first Russky to not be able to put it together here, and he wont be the last...he'll likely be bolting back to the motherland soon enough

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, canucks curse said:

he had some good (ok maybe 1) years post draft but had injuries if I recall...

I don’t recall his pro career at all as I was just disappointed ion general…at the similar time Peter Schaffer was drafted and it was looking like a couple good futures…yeah!! So many kids look promising and then can not take the next step in the nhl. But then one team will draft a fifth rounder who turns into an all star.