(Trade) Podkolzin to Edmonton

I also feel better about this trade when I think about how disheartened I was at the trade deadline last year and seeing players I had wanted us to acquire going for  mid round picks at reasonable cap hits.

We are much better positioned this year with a reasonable pool of cap space and with an additional pick to trade. 

Who says we don't land a decent player for our run with this pick come February?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, bishopshodan said:

Why do we even bother discussing things then?

Edm must think somehing of him though, so theres that. 

Every club has different needs and different depth issues.  He's got a chance of making the Oilers because of  thier abysmal depth and cap constraints 

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Devron said:

Exactly. Obviously there’s a chance we got a 4th round pick for nothing. But why even risk that to a division rival. Dumb 

Again playing GM game?What Alvin has to do for you to endorse him????

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

But he hasn’t shown anything like that as of yet.

As I pointed out in my other post... he just turned 23.  If this happened a couple months ago, the headline would be that we traded a 1st round 22yo potential powerforward for a 4th.

• Cheers 2

Just now, bishopshodan said:

Why do we even bother discussing things then?

Edm must think somehing of him though, so theres that. 

Edm can walk from Holloway now. At the end of the day it might be better for us if they let Holloway go and keep broberg who might poop the bed under all that pressure. Could turn out great for us.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, qwijjibo said:

Every club has different needs and different depth issues.  He's got a chance of making the Oilers because of  thier abysmal depth and cap constraints 

Just now, Sophomore Jinx said:

Edmonton will take a flyer on anything, so there's that

Yah, thats my point.

Dont want him to succeed with them. Slim chance of that ....but if he does, we just gave our biggest rival a young power fwd for a F'ing 4th. 

• Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Then why trade him at all? Just let him play in Abby.  No difference unless we think a 4th round pick has that much value.

He would have had to clear waivers this time? So instead of losing him for nothing try to get a little something back. He has no role with the big club.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

Yah, thats my point.

Dont want him to succeed with them. Slim chance of that ....but if he does, we just gave our biggest rival a young power fwd for a F'ing 4th. 

Meh.  I'm not top concerned. 

1 minute ago, Westcoasting said:

It’s safe to say that people who know more about hockey than us…didn’t see much of a future in him… get over it 🙂

Again, if we all abided by this...

There would be no need for a discussion forum. 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

What if Edmonton is doing this trade, matching Holloway, and Vancouver is getting Holloway in return? 

Unlikely from what I can see. Podz was likely to be going down to Abbotsford unless he really impressed at camp. More opportunities for him in Edmonton. This move I think could be a way to free up space for a player like Soderstrom

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

Again, if we all abided by this...

There would be no need for a discussion forum. 

I think its the fact that many are proclaiming that this is going to turn out bad as if they have a crystal ball.

Its fine to express concern that if Podz suddenly got faster, meaner and found his hands this could be bad, bit like, its a could, a maybe, a possibility.

• Cheers 1

For everyone who is freaking out at the return, do you actually believe the FO didn't do their due diligence, and actually search for the best return they could get???

The market spoke, and the 4th round pick was the best return that the whole league offered.

It's not as if PA/JR took the first phone call and said "A 4th Stanley B.? Let's do it" 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3