[TRADE] Edmonton trades Codi Ceci to San Jose

9 minutes ago, bh90 said:

I think the Sharks want to be competitive

Ceci is an upgrade on the D-core and I feel the Sharks capitalized here. There's no better option available on the ufa market and not aware of any RHD on the trade block.

The Sharks will Inject more young guys in the line up and I think it's a good move to add some solid NHL vets like Ceci.

Well, "Tank Commander Ceci" does have a solid ring to it!

10 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

Why are GMs helping EDM? I don't get it. 

Edmonton's D is a hope and a prayer.  They won't be as good as last year.  The Ceci trade won't allow them to keep both Broberg and Holloway (even with Kane on LTIR).

So, Ceci and Holloway out, Broberg stays put

Podz and Emberson (who?) in

Broberg is a leftie, Ceci is right handed.   Bro has better upside for sure and should be kept ahead of Ceci but still, they'll be short of right handers

3 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Because it's a cap dump. Which in turn helps out Edmonton. 

Is this the best of a bad situation?  I'm not sure.  Time will tell.

1 hour ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

I don't get this from the Sharks standpoint, especially because they dealt a young, NHL-ready RHD in Ty Emberson. Are they banking on getting a haul for him at the TDL (perhaps while retaining salary), or do they re-sign him, guaranteeing him security and a big role on a dismal Sharks squad?

Sharks can't retain this year.  Already using all 3 retention spots

1 hour ago, Hammertime said:

Why are GMs helping EDM? I don't get it. 

Because there are quite a few GMs in this league who have no business being GMs. They got the role because they were former fan favourite players.

A seasoned GM like Bowman feasts on guys like this who have zero concept of leverage. Grier probably thought he was getting a great deal here not realizing he probably could have gotten a 2nd and kept his prospect. 🤦‍♂️

Edited by DeNiro

Allvin had done a lot of good moves up until this point, but the Podkolzin trade makes zero sense for the Canucks. It's for 2026 as well. We don't gain any cap space when we could've taken on another project type player from Edmonton. Instead, we get a low low 4th round pick (Edmonton likely will be a playoff contender for the next couple of years).

Zero sense. It gives Edmonton the flexibility to walk away from Holloway if they wanted to. Holloway is basically where Podkolzin is at developmentally, and St. Louis was offering a 3rd round pick (as penalty for their offer sheet)

Garbage garbage trade.

Edited by PureQuickness
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Because there are quite a few GMs in this league who have no business being GMs. They got the role because they were former fan favourite players.

A seasoned GM like Bowman feasts on guys like this who have zero concept of leverage. Grier probably thought he was getting a great deal here not realizing he probably could have gotten a 2nd and kept his prospect. 🤦‍♂️

Hopefully this Emberson isn't found money, he played 18 minutes per game with the Sharks and had 10 points in 30 games.

27 minutes ago, PureQuickness said:

Allvin had done a lot of good moves up until this point, but the Podkolzin trade makes zero sense for the Canucks. It's for 2026 as well. We don't gain any cap space when we could've taken on another project type player from Edmonton. Instead, we get a low low 4th round pick (Edmonton likely will be a playoff contender for the next couple of years).

Zero sense. It gives Edmonton the flexibility to walk away from Holloway if they wanted to. Holloway is basically where Podkolzin is at developmentally, and St. Louis was offering a 3rd round pick (as penalty for their offer sheet)

Garbage garbage trade.

It's Ottawa's pick that we recieved and I don't agree about Holloway and podz. Holloway is way ahead of podz in his development 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, Outsiders said:

I think EDM has lost a lot of depth this offseason. Mcloud and Fogle were big bodies in the bottom 6 with speed. Skinner (forward) is soft and hasn't played a playoff game in his career. Arvidson best days are behind him. Now they lost Ceci who was good for them when he wasn't with Nurse. Played huge role in their top PK for playoffs.

Watch the Skinner curse takeover and they miss the playoffs 😂

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, PureQuickness said:

Garbage garbage trade.

It's Ottawa's 4th round pick that the Oilers traded and it's a 2025 pick not 2026. Podkolzin is a bust. With the depth we signed he was expendable and he had one good season. He was also waiver eligible so if he didn't make the team (most likely) he would've been sent down and we would've lost him for nothing. At least we got something back in return. I don't think he makes the Oilers lineup either.

Holloway is much better than Podkolzin, but with the Ceci trade they can now match both offer sheets.

29 minutes ago, Bure10Kuzmenko96 said:

It's Ottawa's 4th round pick that the Oilers traded and it's a 2025 pick not 2026. Podkolzin is a bust. With the depth we signed he was expendable and he had one good season. He was also waiver eligible so if he didn't make the team (most likely) he would've been sent down and we would've lost him for nothing. At least we got something back in return. I don't think he makes the Oilers lineup either.

Holloway is much better than Podkolzin, but with the Ceci trade they can now match both offer sheets.

Very risky to match both as then you’re really backing yourself into a corner. Kane will be back early in the season and it’s not always easy to make trades then.

My guess is they match the Broberg offer but let Holloway go now.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1