[Trade] Columbus Trades Patrick Laine and a ‘26 2nd to Montreal for Jordan Harris

Just now, Provost said:

This seems like a massive amount of risk.

1.  Montreal is probably the most brutal market in the league to play in regards to the attention and negativity that can come your way.
2.  No retention means he has to live up to his huge contract or be ripped apart by fans and media
3.  He is just coming out of the player assistance program for mental health reasons.

To me, that is the worst place for him to land.  Go to Carolina or San Jose... anywhere that you can be anonymous and hardly anyone cares about hockey.

Good point.

Did he have to waive to go to Montreal though? Thought he had a NTC.

If it was his choice maybe he thinks he needs to have the pressure like he did in Winnipeg to be good again.

• Like 1

Habs can afford to give up a d prospect and have the cap space to take on Laine's contract. Plus they get a second round picks out of this who could be almost be a late first if CBJ sucks again, assuming this is CBJ's own second round pick. 

I think this is Habs third year into full rebuild? At some point Habs need to do more than bottoming out and weaponizing their cap space. This is a pretty good gamble I think.

1 minute ago, Provost said:

1.  Montreal is probably the most brutal market in the league to play in regards to the attention and negativity that can come your way.
2.  No retention means he has to live up to his huge contract or be ripped apart by fans and media
3.  He is just coming out of the player assistance program for mental health reasons.

To me, that is the worst place for him to land.  Go to Carolina or San Jose... anywhere that you can be anonymous and hardly anyone cares about hockey.

Laine is coming from Columbus. It’s quiet (about hockey) there too. He’s never seen anything like the media he’s about in Montreal. 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

It’s actually shocking there is no retention on Laine or a cap dump (Anderson/Dvorak/Gallagar) going back. Columbus dumped all of Laine and got a young D man for a second rounder two years down the road. Great job by their GM. 

Yea I’m not sure how people aren’t looking at this from Columbus’ side. That’s a win for them all things considered.

Had PLD panned out it might be a different story but he seems to be a busteroo.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 3

Fantastic move provided Laine is mentally healthy enough to not be a poor influence for the younger players around him. 

Maybe he helps jumpstart the rebuild? Maybe he fades into obscurity and waivers? 🤷

Just now, Bob Long said:

Because their gm is stupid, is my guess.

Brutal deal on a distressed asset.

Owner is probably pushing for playoff revenue like Aquilinis did with Benning.

Thats when you make silly trades like the OEL one.

• ThereItIs 2

Laine, 26, registered nine points (six goals, three assists) in 18 games with Columbus last season. The 6-foot-5, 215 lb right-handed winger has appeared in 480 regular season games over eight NHL seasons with the Winnipeg Jets and the Blue Jackets, tallying 204 goals and 184 assists. The Tampere, FIN native was drafted second overall by the Jets in 2016.

Yah, that aint coming back to life....

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Columbus just wasn't going to get the return they wanted, this was probably the best they were going to do without retention. 

Good gamble for Montreal, he's only got two seasons left on his deal so that's not a ton of commitment. He's only 26, they could do worse than betting on talent. Maybe he just needs a change of scenery. 

Just now, Alflives said:

8.7 x two. Highest paid Hab now. 

Only 2 years ain’t bad, worth the risk and the added another pick. Might not like them but they seem to be a really good job over there 

10 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Owner is probably pushing for playoff revenue like Aquilinis did with Benning.

Thats when you make silly trades like the OEL one.

I can't believe that this is the best a GM could do. CBJ with no retention is an absolute steal for them, not to mention the 2nd and prospect. 

19 minutes ago, Provost said:

Could keep him accountable, if he struggled in CBJ why would he not struggle out in SJ? Having so many people care might be an internal thing of hey these fans care about me, but yes double edge sword like damn fans can be assholes

5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I can't believe that this is the best a GM could do. CBJ with no retention is an absolute steal for them, not to mention the 2nd and prospect. 

Well Columbus traded the 2nd.

Pretty cheap price based on the previous market though. And managed to get a good young player.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Provost said:

You mean, like Columbus? 

…Generally I’d agree with you. But this guy played his best hockey in a Canadian market. He might thrive on it.

And at least, if he goes to a party and tries to imbibe, every dude there will yell at him to put it down! 😆

Wow, Columbus threw in the pick for a sweetener. I misread that the first time. But he didn't want to be there, and the jackets get rid of that cap hit. If this move works out, Montreal could be very dangerous.