[Trade] Columbus Trades Patrick Laine and a ‘26 2nd to Montreal for Jordan Harris

43 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Well Columbus traded the 2nd.

Ah read that wrong.

43 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Pretty cheap price based on the previous market though. And managed to get a good young player.

Cheap for sure in assets, not in cap. This is a total crap shoot.

1 hour ago, Devron said:

Only 2 years ain’t bad, worth the risk and the added another pick. Might not like them but they seem to be a really good job over there 

The Habs have no elite guys. They will need to do another rebuild after this one. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The Habs have no elite guys. They will need to do another rebuild after this one. 

Laine is probably the best player in this trade by a landslide.  You know how they measure the winner of a trade.

37 minutes ago, Rounoush said:

Even though I don't think Laine will pan out, I still really like this move for Montreal.

If I’m a Habs fan; I’m salivating at the thought of Laine getting back into form and having wingers of Slaf and Laine. That’s a big if on Laine and a hope for continued progression from Slaf.

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Would have been a home run had they gotten Columbus to retain.

At an almost 9 mil cap hit he needs to score at least 30 to have value.

Then have no big names they need to resign before Laines contract is up. Retention would have been great, but they are not desperate for the savings really. Couple bad contracts coming off the books in the next year or two, they have space for him. 

Just now, GrammaInTheTub said:

If I’m a Habs fan; I’m salivating at the thought of Laine getting back into form and having wingers of Slaf and Laine. That’s a big if on Laine and a hope for continued progression from Slaf.

Laine needs a setup man for his snipes. As a Habs fan, do you see that on the roster? Not being a goof just curious as I don't follow them too close.

4 minutes ago, Rekker said:

Laine could end up with zero points and I'd still do this deal over the OEL deal. Different players and positions but a reflection on how fugly that deal ended up.

yea but thats a unique low bar 😂

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Rekker said:

I never cared for him but for the human side, I hope he has. Life can humble anyone. 

Laine's never been a favourite of mine. I've tended to look at him as being a little arrogant. However,  I'm honestly kind of rooting for the guy to get back up to speed after last year.

• Cheers 1

37 minutes ago, Rekker said:

Laine needs a setup man for his snipes. As a Habs fan, do you see that on the roster? Not being a goof just curious as I don't follow them too close.

Not being a Habs fan I wouldn’t know! 

I should have been clear my “as a habs fan I’d be…” was a hypothetical if I was a habs fan.

Gramma bleeds Canucks colours

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Provost said:

This seems like a massive amount of risk.

1.  Montreal is probably the most brutal market in the league to play in regards to the attention and negativity that can come your way.
2.  No retention means he has to live up to his huge contract or be ripped apart by fans and media
3.  He is just coming out of the player assistance program for mental health reasons.

To me, that is the worst place for him to land.  Go to Carolina or San Jose... anywhere that you can be anonymous and hardly anyone cares about hockey.

People seem to be forgetting that Laine has had personnel issues in every locker room he’s been in thus far. Unless he’s finally matured, as some believe he might have, he has a predisposition to being a problem child who doesn’t handle criticism well. Good luck to him in MTL if any of his lazy play rears its head again. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Pears said:

Getting a top 5 goal scorer when healthy and a 2nd round pick for a 3rd pair defenseman that's why. Habs fleeced the hell out of CBJ. 

Not to mention that 2nd is basically a fringe 1st rounder maybe.

4 hours ago, Provost said:

This seems like a massive amount of risk.

1.  Montreal is probably the most brutal market in the league to play in regards to the attention and negativity that can come your way.
2.  No retention means he has to live up to his huge contract or be ripped apart by fans and media
3.  He is just coming out of the player assistance program for mental health reasons.

To me, that is the worst place for him to land.  Go to Carolina or San Jose... anywhere that you can be anonymous and hardly anyone cares about hockey.

That’s one way to see it.

on the other hand, since he will be scrutinize might be a better way to keep him in check.

he was Basically in one of the most low key market already and that didn’t prevent him from having issues.

time will tell

33 minutes ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

Not being a Habs fan I wouldn’t know! 

I should have been clear my “as a habs fan I’d be…” was a hypothetical if I was a habs fan.

Gramma bleeds Canucks colours

Lol, gotcha. Same here fellow Nucker.

• Cheers 1