[Trade] Columbus Trades Patrick Laine and a ‘26 2nd to Montreal for Jordan Harris

6 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Laine was only ever a top 5 scorer once in his career and that was 6 years ago.

Fairly low risk gamble but I would be surprised if he becomes the scorer he was. He hasn’t put in the work to keep up with the leuage.

How  do you know how much work he has or hasn't put in? Newsflash...you don't!!!

Outside the cap hit good move for the Habs.

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Moeknows said:

How  do you know how much work he has or hasn't put in? Newsflash...you don't!!!

Outside the cap hit good move for the Habs.

I watched him in Columbus. 😉

Hes always been a lazy player even in Winnipeg. He was a one trick pony with a good shot that players figured out how to defend.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

13 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Because their gm is stupid, is my guess.

Brutal deal on a distressed asset.

Montreal gave up a young D-man, while promising, he is still only a bottom pairing D-man at this point.

They have quite a few good young D-prospects in their pipeline.

Mailloux

Reinbacher 

Engstrom 

Konyushkov, captain of his KHL team and scored 28 points in 68 games at 21 years old last year. 

They got back Laine and a 2nd rounder. 

Laine is still only 26.

If he can click with Slaf and Suzuki that will be a solid top line. 

• Cheers 1

56 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

Montreal gave up a young D-man, while promising, he is still only a bottom pairing D-man at this point.

They have quite a few good young D-prospects in their pipeline.

Mailloux

Reinbacher 

Engstrom 

Konyushkov, captain of his KHL team and scored 28 points in 68 games at 21 years old last year. 

They got back Laine and a 2nd rounder. 

Laine is still only 26.

If he can click with Slaf and Suzuki that will be a solid top line. 

Why would they supplant caulfield though?   Laine probably plays on the second line.  Less pressure.  And still would have a good Center.  Newhook or Dach.  

Harris is not a bad young defenceman who's worth a 2nd alone so not sure how Montreal got swindled here, they should have asked for a 1st. I suppose Laine only has two years left but still, that's a big cap hit for a struggling player. Could have spent 9M much better or they should have gotten a lot more back.

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, kettlevalley said:

Why would they supplant caulfield though?   Laine probably plays on the second line.  Less pressure.  And still would have a good Center.  Newhook or Dach.  

Newhook and Dach are other team’s leftovers. They’ve done nothing at all at the NHL level to say they are top 6 players. They’ve both been less productive than Conor Garland who is a 3rd liner. 

Laine needs to play with Suzuki. So does Slaf and Caufield. Montreal’s issue is they need a legit 2C. Which they don’t have. They have excess Dmen though. If I were Montreal I would trade one of their young Dmen for a legit 2C. 

15 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Newhook and Dach are other team’s leftovers. They’ve done nothing at all at the NHL level to say they are top 6 players. They’ve both been less productive than Conor Garland who is a 3rd liner. 

Laine needs to play with Suzuki. So does Slaf and Caufield. Montreal’s issue is they need a legit 2C. Which they don’t have. They have excess Dmen though. If I were Montreal I would trade one of their young Dmen for a legit 2C. 

Lol. By thst logic JT  Miller was a leftover from Tampa.  Dach was looking fantastic last season prior to his season ending injury.  Slafkovsky Suzuki Caufield developed into a very strong line last season. I suspect they'll keep it together and put Laine with Dach to start the year 

2 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

Lol. By thst logic JT  Miller was a leftover from Tampa.  Dach was looking fantastic last season prior to his season ending injury.  Slafkovsky Suzuki Caufield developed into a very strong line last season. I suspect they'll keep it together and put Laine with Dach to start the year 

Miller is a 100 point two way centre. LOL if you think Dach or Newhook will ever reach that level. Not even Suzuki is at Miller’s level.

Dach has been injured his entire career. He’s also not even a centre. He’s a winger who doesn’t know how to take faceoffs and doesn’t kill penalties. A legit 2C is a centre who is 50% in the dot, can put up 60+ points and can kill penalties.  Other than Suzuki Montreal has nobody on the team that can do that. 

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Miller is a 100 point two way centre. LOL if you think Dach or Newhook will ever reach that level. Not even Suzuki is at Miller’s level.

Dach has been injured his entire career. He’s also not even a centre. He’s a winger who doesn’t know how to take faceoffs and doesn’t kill penalties. A legit 2C is a centre who is 50% in the dot, can put up 60+ points and can kill penalties.  Other than Suzuki Montreal has nobody on the team that can do that. 

My point is just because a player is traded as a "leftover" doesn't mean they aren't a high quality player.   Time will tell how good Dach will be. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Sorry, but I watched New hook live for two seasons as a Victoria Grizzly.  He has game breaking talent.  Enough to do it at the NHL level? We will see but I think he does.  

• Like 1