[Trade] Columbus Trades Patrick Laine and a ‘26 2nd to Montreal for Jordan Harris

1 hour ago, Rekker said:

I think just the opposite, time will tell. 

How can it turn out poorly?  They have lots of cap.  And got Laine plus a 2nd round pick for a player that would probably not fetch a second round pick.  When you get the best play in a trade, for free, and there is no down side. ....I don't know how that turns out bad.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kettlevalley said:

How can it turn out poorly?  They have lots of cap.  And got Laine plus a 2nd round pick for a player that would probably not fetch a second round pick.  When you get the best play in a trade, for free, and there is no down side. ....I don't know how that turns out bad.  

If it helps blow their rebuild. If Laine poops the bed it's at a time when mtl is supposed to be getting competitive. 

22 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

If it helps blow their rebuild. If Laine poops the bed it's at a time when mtl is supposed to be getting competitive. 

But the Laine acquisition gives then the potential to start to get better by becoming more then a one line team.  

11 minutes ago, kettlevalley said:

But the Laine acquisition gives then the potential to start to get better by becoming more then a one line team.  

maybe. He's got a great shot, but he's also slow and doesn't do much for their perimeter style of play. 

I hope for the best for him personally, but I can see this experiment going bad sooner than later. 

2 hours ago, kettlevalley said:

Laine is a one dimensional floater who has asked to be traded twice now, has some personal issues, is not quick, is vastly overpaid. Not my kind of player and never cared for his game even when he was scoring. I suppose the risk is minimized being only seasons. My comment was eluding to how this will end up. I believe with an overpaid one dimensional floater continuing to do just that. 

• Cheers 1

On 8/20/2024 at 3:13 PM, canuck73_3 said:

Amazing how long your leash is for Laine vs how short it is for Boeser and Miller. 

I think @stawns has a compassionate heart, I mean have you taken a good look looked at this guys face?  

One eye is too high, the other too close or too far apart can't tell.    He's no Charming or Captian America that's for sure. 

image.jpeg

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, kettlevalley said:

The downside is the cap and the opportunity costs that could come up if they didn't go there.   Laine could use this as a career moment and dig deep.   Who knows.   At face value it does come with some risk to MTL and now CLB has cap space for something else.   Hide the x-box's.   I'm not sure what Laine's demons, those 3 FINs are poster boys for not putting too much stock into a WJ' tournament. 

Edited by IBatch

13 hours ago, IBatch said:

The downside is the cap and the opportunity costs that could come up if they didn't go there.   Laine could use this as a career moment and dig deep.   Who knows.   At face value it does come with some risk to MTL and now CLB has cap space for something else.   Hide the x-box's.   I'm not sure what Laine's demons, those 3 FINs are poster boys for not putting too much stock into a WJ' tournament. 

It's not like Laine has been a bust so far in his career.  He has 388 points in 480 games, 204 of those are goals.  He was also pretty much a point per game his last 3 seasons in Columbus.  I juries have been an issue at times and he struggled with his mental health. Both have been addressed and are hopefully issues in the past.  

7 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

It's not like Laine has been a bust so far in his career.  He has 388 points in 480 games, 204 of those are goals.  He was also pretty much a point per game his last 3 seasons in Columbus.  I juries have been an issue at times and he struggled with his mental health. Both have been addressed and are hopefully issues in the past.  

Worst case they lose out on a trade they could otherwise pull off, and Laine affects the locker room negatively.   Even then they could still retain 50% and add another second at the TDL.   If St. Louis can't get through to him ... not sure he's going to get much of a follow up deal.  He's 7 years removed from his sophomore 44 goal season, hasn't scored 30 in six.   That's a pile of cash for what he's been offering. 

Edited by IBatch

15 hours ago, Rekker said:

Laine is a one dimensional floater who has asked to be traded twice now, has some personal issues, is not quick, is vastly overpaid. Not my kind of player and never cared for his game even when he was scoring. I suppose the risk is minimized being only seasons. My comment was eluding to how this will end up. I believe with an overpaid one dimensional floater continuing to do just that. 

Theres really no downside lol. Montreal is not aiming for the cup any time soon. Get some highlight reel goals from Laine playing with Suzuki. Sell tickets, merchandise, the fan base more excited again. And if Laine beats the trend and turn back into the 40 goal scorer he was, all the better. The dude oozes with talent and is just 26 years old. 

Edited by Drakrami