Ryan Johansen waivers & termination

25 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I remember something about his time in Columbus with him not being good with the younger guys on the team.

Could be wrong but I definitely remember something about locker room issues with him.

Even then he’s just not a very good player any more. Not even as a third line center.

To be fair I can't think of many veterans who would be happy playing for that complete dumpster of an organization. 

I am starting to think I have terrible judgment of players. I liked Virtanen, Mike Richards, the prospects I like don't amount to much like Soderberg, Woo, Lind, and Podkolzin. I wanted Glass over Pettersson. Johansen I've liked. Lol. But, no. We shouldn't go after Johansen. Too many red flags. Almost makes Dubois look like a standup guy.

• Haha 3

Apart from all the stories peeps are bringing up about Johansen, the reality is that he is a 32yr old

player, who is on the decline.  Would he come cheaper than Suter or Blueger?  Would he fill the

right side over Brock, Sprong, Garly or Sherwood?  I don't think so.

48 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

I am starting to think I have terrible judgment of players. I liked Virtanen, Mike Richards, the prospects I like don't amount to much like Soderberg, Woo, Lind, and Podkolzin. I wanted Glass over Pettersson. Johansen I've liked. Lol. But, no. We shouldn't go after Johansen. Too many red flags. Almost makes Dubois look like a standup guy.

Statistically Johansen looks like a good candidate for a 3rd line center. Over 50% in the dot. Has been as high as 59%. Can still chip in 30-40 points. He is from BC. Tocchet has taken players and got the most out of them. If he was willing to take a PTO and come in to camp in shape, shows he competes every shift, he could be a good candidate. Tocchet has been on record saying he would like a right handed centerman. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Viking said:

I would like to know what material breach means?

Why not bring RyJo home on a PTO? 

No, he because he sounds like prime lockerroom cancer material. We have enough depth upfront, I wouldn't want to mess with the forward group we already have.

2 hours ago, JeremyCuddles said:

self awareness is important. 

2 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

It’s be worth a PTO if we didn’t get Sprong. Our forward group is looking pretty full at the moment. Need to save the cap space for a dman.

A 3C is needed, imo.  A career 53.4% faceoff guy.

Edited by stawns

2 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Apart from all the stories peeps are bringing up about Johansen, the reality is that he is a 32yr old

player, who is on the decline.  Would he come cheaper than Suter or Blueger?  Would he fill the

right side over Brock, Sprong, Garly or Sherwood?  I don't think so.

I think he's got a serious injury, so probably not available, but 3C.

4 hours ago, Captain insano said:

IMG_4753.thumb.jpeg.2db7445bf691f57601dc931f18785536.jpeg

I would really be surprised if it was injury related.  Any arbitrator in a grievance would almost certainly side with a player and their medical representative over a team's doctor.  I think it is even codified in the collective agreement that a player is allowed to get their own medical opinions.  

Any third party is going to weigh someone's choice about their own health and medical decisions very heavily compared with an employer who wants to not pay them if they are hurt.  That would be a really risky move by Philly to challenge that, of course Bettman is the final decision maker in everything so who knows.

The only part of injury related it could be is if he did something negligent outside of hockey that impacted his ability to perform his duties.  There are clauses in player's contracts forbidding them to do certain dangerous things.  That doesn't seem like the case here as the agent is making it clear that it was a serious hockey injury

Edited by Provost
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think he's got a serious injury, so probably not available, but 3C.

He's a good size, right shot C, but his speed is questionable.  If they have to keep Suter

on the Miller line, he might be a good fit on the 3rd.  The term and $ might be an issue,

but being a Vancouver boy, he probably would like to sign with the Canucks.  I would

rather the management focus on improving the D though.

18 minutes ago, Provost said:

I would really be surprised if it was injury related.  Any arbitrator in a grievance would almost certainly side with a player and their medical representative over a team's doctor.  I think it is even codified in the collective agreement that a player is allowed to get their own medical opinions.  

Any third party is going to weigh someone's choice about their own health and medical decisions very heavily compared with an employer who wants to not pay them if they are hurt.  That would be a really risky move by Philly to challenge that, of course Bettman is the final decision maker in everything so who knows.

The only part of injury related it could be is if he did something negligent outside of hockey that impacted his ability to perform his duties.  There are clauses in player's contracts forbidding them to do certain dangerous things.  That doesn't seem like the case here as the agent is making it clear that it was a serious hockey injury

I guess we can't put it past Philly to try to terminate. I guess they don't like the idea of LTIR. 

If surgery has been scheduled as EF says, then there is a medical assessment that pre-dates this move. It's a no-brainer for him to win this. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

A 3C is needed, imo.  A career 53.4% faceoff guy.

What did we re-sign Blueger for? Blueger also showed decent chemistry with our projected 3rd line wingers. Johansen has never proved to be a great bottom 6 player either. 4th line center we have Suter and Aman on the team and guys like Sassons and Raty in the minors. Our money is better saved for a mid season addition like how we were able to get Zadarov last year because we could take the full contract no retention.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

I guess we can't put it past Philly to try to terminate. I guess they don't like the idea of LTIR. 

If surgery has been scheduled as EF says, then there is a medical assessment that pre-dates this move. It's a no-brainer for him to win this. 

Depends on when the surgery was scheduled? Injury was first reported back in March just after he was traded to Philly. Six months to get it done?  The fun part of this is RJ's agent is the same as  Quitter Gauthier

23 minutes ago, Fen1010 said:

Depends on when the surgery was scheduled? Injury was first reported back in March just after he was traded to Philly. Six months to get it done?  The fun part of this is RJ's agent is the same as  Quitter Gauthier

Hard to say, maybe he tried rehab first? 

Latest On Ryan Johansen

August 20th, 2024 at 6:53pm CST • By Josh Cybulski

Ryan Johansen was placed on unconditional waivers this morning by the Philadelphia Flyers for the purposes of terminating his contract. Since the initial reporting more news has come out regarding the 32-year-old’s contract situation with the Flyers. 

Anthony DiMarco of Daily Faceoff tweeted that he’s hearing that Philadelphia feels that they have grounds to terminate the deal based on the alleged hip injury that Johansen reported after he cleared waivers in March and was sent to the AHL.

Johansen initially flew in to join Lehigh Valley shortly after the trade to the Flyers from the Colorado Avalanche in March and met with Phantoms doctors (as per Kevin Kurz of The Athletic).

Not much is known about what was discussed at that time, but Johansen never dressed after that initial meeting. The injury caught Philadelphia off guard because Johansen had played in all of Colorado’s games leading up to the trade and was part of the Avalanche’s morning skate the day of the trade to Philadelphia.

Johansen’s agent Kurt Overhardt added to the intrigue by tweeting that Johansen has a severe hockey injury that will require surgery and the procedure is already scheduled for a future date. He also added that he was disappointed in Philadelphia’s decision and would work with the NHLPA to defend Johansen.

The Flyers reportedly intend to use the cap space if Johansen’s money comes off the books (as per DiMarco) but would need to keep that money available should Johansen’s grievance prove successful.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2024/08/latest-on-ryan-johansen.html#ref=home

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, RWJC said:

Latest On Ryan Johansen

August 20th, 2024 at 6:53pm CST • By Josh Cybulski

Ryan Johansen was placed on unconditional waivers this morning by the Philadelphia Flyers for the purposes of terminating his contract. Since the initial reporting more news has come out regarding the 32-year-old’s contract situation with the Flyers. 

Anthony DiMarco of Daily Faceoff tweeted that he’s hearing that Philadelphia feels that they have grounds to terminate the deal based on the alleged hip injury that Johansen reported after he cleared waivers in March and was sent to the AHL.

Johansen initially flew in to join Lehigh Valley shortly after the trade to the Flyers from the Colorado Avalanche in March and met with Phantoms doctors (as per Kevin Kurz of The Athletic).

Not much is known about what was discussed at that time, but Johansen never dressed after that initial meeting. The injury caught Philadelphia off guard because Johansen had played in all of Colorado’s games leading up to the trade and was part of the Avalanche’s morning skate the day of the trade to Philadelphia.

Johansen’s agent Kurt Overhardt added to the intrigue by tweeting that Johansen has a severe hockey injury that will require surgery and the procedure is already scheduled for a future date. He also added that he was disappointed in Philadelphia’s decision and would work with the NHLPA to defend Johansen.

The Flyers reportedly intend to use the cap space if Johansen’s money comes off the books (as per DiMarco) but would need to keep that money available should Johansen’s grievance prove successful.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2024/08/latest-on-ryan-johansen.html#ref=home

This is such a weird development. There are so many more questions that are opened up rather than answers.

1) If Johansen is deemed severely injured now, how and why did he play all those games with Colorado, and was there any indication at all that the injury or injuries were disclosed prior to the trade to Philadelphia?

2) What kind of violation did Johansen possibly commit during the offseason? If Philadelphia had been looking for reasons to terminate the contract, which as an outside observer, sounds like was the case, could this be cap manipulation on the part of maybe Colorado and Philadelphia?  I admit this is a leading question. So here's an alternate, less accusatory question: if Philadelphia was in every right to terminate the contract based on what Johansen did, how could a veteran player like Johansen leave himself open to this situation?

Philly has no grounds for termination.

Players play through injury all the time especially when their team is pushing for playoffs. Him deciding he’d rather get surgery than report to the AHL is completely fair.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, PureQuickness said:

This is such a weird development. There are so many more questions that are opened up rather than answers.

1) If Johansen is deemed severely injured now, how and why did he play all those games with Colorado, and was there any indication at all that the injury or injuries were disclosed prior to the trade to Philadelphia?

2) What kind of violation did Johansen possibly commit during the offseason? If Philadelphia had been looking for reasons to terminate the contract, which as an outside observer, sounds like was the case, could this be cap manipulation on the part of maybe Colorado and Philadelphia?  I admit this is a leading question. So here's an alternate, less accusatory question: if Philadelphia was in every right to terminate the contract based on what Johansen did, how could a veteran player like Johansen leave himself open to this situation?

I would assume Johansen wins this and you would have to assume is bought out immediately. Flyers look like pieces of shit if they are proven to be in the wrong. It should definitely make them a less desirable place for free agents moving forward. 

BUT, if RyJo is proven at fault, this will hurt his market value ALOT. Not that he's super concerned, since the guy has grossed nearly 70 million. 

• Cheers 1