[Waiver Claim] CBJ Claims G Spencer Martin

1 minute ago, qwijjibo said:

Yup.  Canucks only advantage is they can send him directly to the minors if no one else claims him 

Right, so we're last in the pecking order, but have the advantage of sending him straight down if no one wants him. Interesting. I doubt that happens very often.

1 minute ago, -AJ- said:

Right, so we're last in the pecking order, but have the advantage of sending him straight down if no one wants him. Interesting. I doubt that happens very often.

Yeah.  The point of waivers is to give players who've earned eligibility the best possible chance to earn a NHL job. 

4 minutes ago, MaseOfBase said:

He got a shot at NHL hockey last year and he was terrible

Sure, but maybe a change of scenery will help him rebound, goaltending was an issue and he owns some of that but it's not as if we were a stalwart defensive team last season either 

He seemed like an okay dude, I don't mind him getting an opportunity elsewhere 

7 minutes ago, MaseOfBase said:

He got a shot at NHL hockey last year and he was terrible

He was given a shot at #1 duties when Demko went down. Might've been better with a lower workload. We haven't really seen him as a true #2 in the NHL yet.

Just now, Rubik said:

according to Shannon, yes

As much as he's a hockey expert, this is a pretty niche rule, so I wouldn't be shocked if he's got this one wrong. Minor detail anyway, and I doubt it comes into play very often.

19 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Would have preferred that he get to Abbotsford, but there's always extra guys out there if we need.

Why though?

He would have just hurt Silovs and Tolopilo’s development being there and taking minutes away.

This is best for everyone. I’m sure the team would have preferred to get a late pick but clearly that wasn’t being offered. The team got him off their books though which was the ultimate goal.

• Huggy Bear 1

20 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Sure, but maybe a change of scenery will help him rebound, goaltending was an issue and he owns some of that but it's not as if we were a stalwart defensive team last season either 

He seemed like an okay dude, I don't mind him getting an opportunity elsewhere 

Sure he should get another shot elsewhere, no one should be out of work yes I agree, but he wasn't very good for us at all. Defense and goaltending have been the biggest killers in Vancouver being a contender again.

Shed the dead weight and let's try to make this season a success.

15 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Why though?

He would have just hurt Silovs and Tolopilo’s development being there and taking minutes away.

This is best for everyone. I’m sure the team would have preferred to get a late pick but clearly that wasn’t being offered. The team got him off their books though which was the ultimate goal.

Goalie depth in the NHL is never a bad option to have. I also want to see Silovs and Tolopilo getting some solid minutes in Abbotsford, but having options available if there's an injury can be a good thing as well. However, there are always options out there if something happens and we need to pickup another one.

5 minutes ago, MaseOfBase said:

Sure he should get another shot elsewhere, no one should be out of work yes I agree, but he wasn't very good for us at all. Defense and goaltending have been the biggest killers in Vancouver being a contender again.

Shed the dead weight and let's try to make this season a success.

On that we can agree, defense and tending let us down in a big way last season, although one could argue our bottom six did as well. They've tweaked both the D and bottom six, we'll see if it's enough. 

Demko getting off to a good start is key though, the Canucks can't afford to a dig themselves a hole early a third time in a row. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Goalie depth in the NHL is never a bad option to have. I also want to see Silovs and Tolopilo getting some solid minutes in Abbotsford, but having options available if there's an injury can be a good thing as well. However, there are always options out there if something happens and we need to pickup another one.

The team wanted him gone though, which is why they were trying to trade him.

Silovs needs to be the starter in Abby. Martin would have just stolen minutes from him. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Why though?

Sawchenko might still take the backup job in Abbotsford given his NHL and AHL experience. Tolopilo might still be sent to the ECHL.