[Waiver Claim] CBJ Claims G Spencer Martin

43 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

He was given a shot at #1 duties when Demko went down. Might've been better with a lower workload. We haven't really seen him as a true #2 in the NHL yet.

Yeah, he showed he can be solid as a guy playing a few games a year to give your starter a rest. Last year he was put in a bigger role than he was capable of behind a not very good defence. Hopefully he gets back closer to his form from two years ago, even if that's was an outlier.

I felt like he played more than he did both years with us, so I'm misremembering a little on how much he could handle. We've definitely upgraded at the NHL level, even if he could still find a spot as a backup.

42 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The team wanted him gone though, which is why they were trying to trade him.

Silovs needs to be the starter in Abby. Martin would have just stolen minutes from him. 

Not disagreeing with you, ultimately, we want our younger prospects to be playing a lot of AHL level games.

31 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Sawchenko might still take the backup job in Abbotsford given his NHL and AHL experience. Tolopilo might still be sent to the ECHL.

I'd rather roll the dice with him in the NHL if needed than play Martin at this point.  He's a better option than most 4th strings in the league.

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

I'd rather roll the dice with him in the NHL if needed than play Martin at this point.  He's a better option than most 4th strings in the league.

I was talking about the AHL jobs, not NHL jobs. I think the roles in Abbotsford might be Silovs starting and Sawchenko as the backup, leaving Tolopilo as the ECHL starter. Lots of goaltending depth.

2 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I was talking about the AHL jobs, not NHL jobs. I think the roles in Abbotsford might be Silovs starting and Sawchenko as the backup, leaving Tolopilo as the ECHL starter. Lots of goaltending depth.

Yep, hence why I said 4th string.  The only way Martin would have been called up would have been 2 injuries to our top 3.  

4 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Yep, hence why I said 4th string.  The only way Martin would have been called up would have been 2 injuries to our top 3.  

Yeah, he probably would've been our #4 guy. He's really good in Abby, but I have a feeling Silovs is a bit better. They were fairly even last year I think, but given his age, I expect Silovs to improve and Martin to probably already be in his prime. Silovs will probably be better this year.

6 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Yeah, he probably would've been our #4 guy. He's really good in Abby, but I have a feeling Silovs is a bit better. They were fairly even last year I think, but given his age, I expect Silovs to improve and Martin to probably already be in his prime. Silovs will probably be better this year.

Silovs is showing signs that he could develop into an NHL starter.  Anything that gets him more minutes in the AHL is a good move.  Martin is fine in an AHL role but has already peaked, like you say.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

I could have seen them calling up Martin over Silovs just to keep Silovs playing regularly. Martin is better suited to warming the bench than Silovs. Regardless, it matters not now. I know people think this is a good thing, but I still think we'd have been better served if he could have slid through. Like I said, if/when injuries hit I'd rather call up Martin to ride pine over Silovs. There was literally no downside to having Martin in the system, except maybe the fact he was on a 1 way deal.

3 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

I could have seen them calling up Martin over Silovs just to keep Silovs playing regularly. Martin is better suited to warming the bench than Silovs. Regardless, it matters not now. I know people think this is a good thing, but I still think we'd have been better served if he could have slid through. Like I said, if/when injuries hit I'd rather call up Martin to ride pine over Silovs. There was literally no downside to having Martin in the system, except maybe the fact he was on a 1 way deal.

everything is not always as it seems... internal budgets are a thing, if we spent up to our internal budget this may allow us wiggle room down the road... we may not have a internal budget but its possible

5 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Silovs can also learn a ton from working with Clark and watching a few games from the bench.  In the event of a long-term injury, I'd be looking into a trade regardless.