[Waiver Claim] CBJ Claims G Spencer Martin

Just now, Curmudgeon said:

I misunderstood your post, then tried to edit it. It was not my intent to insult you. If you were, I apologize.

i still dont know what you mean... ill explain what i mean if i wasnt clear... martin has been in trade rumours for a while, we couldn't get a trade done and we were forced to waive him, so them getting claimed was out of our hands.

I suppose someone may be still upset over the DeSmith trade, and the trade cost us Martin... i wouldnt be upset over that, but maybe some would

15 minutes ago, Dankmemes187 said:

i still dont know what you mean... ill explain what i mean if i wasnt clear... martin has been in trade rumours for a while, we couldn't get a trade done and we were forced to waive him, so them getting claimed was out of our hands.

I suppose someone may be still upset over the DeSmith trade, and the trade cost us Martin... i wouldnt be upset over that, but maybe some would

Yeah the rumours were probably that we were shopping him and no one wanted to pay anything or was hoping they could land him on waivers instead and took the gamble. I wonder if a team like Colorado or TB regret not paying a small price to land him. But I'm sure there are other options, but possibly pricier to acquire too.

For us, we just wanted to dump his contract after acquiring DeSmith anyway. No reason for anyone to think we should've held off not waiving him or playing "asset management" here. With our goalie situation, it made sense to just be rid of his contract and road block in our goalie jam.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I thought the Canucks got first dibs if he was waived again. Sort of us going straight to the top of the list before going through the usual pecking order.

I'm pretty sure we get first dibs if he's waived again, but can only send him to the AHL if no other team put in a claim. At least that what I remember the rule being.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Diamonds said:

I'm pretty sure we get first dibs if he's waived again, but can only send him to the AHL if no other team put in a claim. At least that what I remember the rule being.

No.  There's no "dibs".  The waiver wire priority list applies like normal.  Right now it's based on the standings from last season.  Any of the teams that finished below Vancouver last season would have priority over Vancouver if he was to hit waivers again 

12 minutes ago, Nuck1991 said:

in the cap era, we gained a contract spot via loosing him on waivers, i see it as a win.

Dude wasnt as bad as advertised, i think he won around 11 NHL games last year

11 wins in 29 games With brutal underlining numbers.  He was literally the 3rd worst goalie in the league for goals saved above expected with a shockingly bad-23.5 in 29 games 

20 hours ago, qwijjibo said:

11 wins in 29 games With brutal underlining numbers.  He was literally the 3rd worst goalie in the league for goals saved above expected with a shockingly bad-23.5 in 29 games 

He only had Hughes as the only nhl dman infront of him

5 hours ago, 5forFighting said:

Pretty much sums up my view of Spencer Martin. 

4 hours ago, qwijjibo said:

Goals saved above expected expectations somewhat factors in the strength/weakness of the team I'm front.  They look at goals the goalie should save. 

If Martin plays behind anything resembling last year's Columbus, it's going to be miserable.

On the plus side, they have a full roster including some significant upgrades on defence.  The season lives or dies with Werenski staying healthy.

On the minus side... they've outdone us with coaching nightmares.  Us.  A bigger coaching controversy than us.