[Report] Demko Status - Team looking for more goaltending help

Grandmaster

Dhaliwal: Demko not yet 100%, no timetable; ‘wouldn’t be surprised’ if #Canucks continue to poke around goalie market.

Wtf? Still a month to go for Training Camp. Dem better be ready by then. If this is career ending then we are screwed. Our overall D is not elite to make up for average goaltending

Edited by Grandmaster
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Canuck You said:

Shit! I had a feeling though...He's a bit untrustworthy at this point TBH, Damaged goods pretty much..But I don't know what to trust anymore..They were saying he would be ready to play GM 1 had we beat Deadmonton.

Maybe he was able to at 80% and maybe he hasn’t improved since. Like wtf is going on 

“I’m not hearing any setbacks on Demko. [I’m] not hearing anything super bad about Demko’s rehab. But sometimes you’ve got to be prepared for the unprepared. So I think they might be poking around the goalie market, maybe a PTO, who knows.”

“I’m not super concerned about Demko; I just think you have to protect yourselves. I just heard this week that they’re again poking around the goalie market, just making some calls, that’s all. The red flag is not out; he should be okay. But maybe his rehab is not going as fast as some like.”

Just taking a little longer to recover is all.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Grandmaster said:

Dhaliwal: Demko not yet 100%, no timetable; ‘wouldn’t be surprised’ if #Canucks continue to poke around goalie market.

Wtf? Still a month to go for Training Camp. Dem better be ready by then. If this is career ending then we are screwed. Our overall D is not elite to make up for average goaltending

I just read an article that sais he probably will, but there's whole lot of unsubstantiated nonsense out there. Always around this time of year. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Raanta and Martin Jones are both still unsigned.

Not excited about either of them, but then again, I wasn't excited about DeSmith at the beginning of last season....

Lankinen is still available as well. Age 29, 24 games, .908 Sv%, 2.82 GAA last year with Nashville. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

No way I'm giving Demko an 8.5x8 extension.  That would be suicide for Allvin.  

I'd go hard after Askarov right now.  I'd easily give Nashville a 1st round pick.  IF Demko is ready to start the season, then you simply send either Silovs or Askarov to Abby for now.  You then trade Demko next summer.  IF he is healthy...

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

No way I'm giving Demko an 8.5x8 extension.  That would be suicide for Allvin.  

I'd go hard after Askarov right now.  I'd easily give Nashville a 1st round pick.  IF Demko is ready to start the season, then you simply send either Silovs or Askarov to Abby for now.  You then trade Demko next summer.  IF he is healthy...

Goalie value is always a fickle subject. Is our 1st enough ? 

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

This is why we traded Podkolzin.  To free up $1 million in cap space.  We now have almost $3.5 million in cap space with LTIR.  Enough to get a starting goalie if necessary...

Almost all of Podkolzins cap would have been buried in the minors had he been out on waivers and sent down.

That didn’t free up 1 mil as another player will be taking that roster spot.

If they’re looking for a insurance plan they’ll sign Lankinen/Rantaa/Jones to a PTO.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

This is why we traded Podkolzin.  To free up $1 million in cap space.  We now have almost $3.5 million in cap space with LTIR.  Enough to get a starting goalie if necessary...

As DeNiro said, trading Podkolzin doesn't actually save any cap. If Pod wasn't good enough to play, the cap would've been buried, thus negating the so-called cap savings.

The 4th round pick trade is awful.

11 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

A 1st should be enough.  If we have to add a prospect as well, so be it.  

A 1st for a goaltender is unusual nowadays. The last time it happened was Schneider, which was many years ago. And we talk about asset management around here.

We are apparently okay with throwing away picks while taking on bad ones to justify something in our heads...

Edited by PureQuickness

The talk since last season has been about managing Demko’s workload.

Regardless of his status I think they wanna have three goalies. Whether on the roster or one going up and down from Abby.

They want Demko on the ice less is the bottom line.

1 minute ago, PureQuickness said:

A 1st for a goaltender is unusual nowadays. The last time it happened was Schneider, which was many years ago. And we talk about asset management around here.

We are apparently okay with throwing away picks while taking on bad ones to justify something in our heads...

A 1st for a top 11 pick in 2020 is very reasonable.  Askarov is not a flop like Podkolzin.  He was dynamic in the minors last year.  Best goalie not in the NHL...

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

A 1st for a top 11 pick in 2020 is very reasonable.  Askarov is not a flop like Podkolzin.  He was dynamic in the minors last year.  Best goalie not in the NHL...

Askarov just requested a trade out of Nashville. Why would he want to be in Vancouver if he's also not going to get much ice time when Demko is healthy? 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1