[Report] Demko Status - Team looking for more goaltending help

Grandmaster

7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Because we are going to trade Demko...   😉

Honestly, I'm actually open to the possibility one day once he's playing again, as his injury history (which includes serious injuries) is piling up. 

• Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

No way I'm giving Demko an 8.5x8 extension.  That would be suicide for Allvin.  

I'd go hard after Askarov right now.  I'd easily give Nashville a 1st round pick.  IF Demko is ready to start the season, then you simply send either Silovs or Askarov to Abby for now.  You then trade Demko next summer.  IF he is healthy...

how much luck have we had with russians, bure, mogilny and larinov. zadorov is the other that comes to mind. how has askorov's game been so far.

1 minute ago, smithers joe said:

how much luck have we had with russians, bure, mogilny and larinov. zadorov is the other that comes to mind. how has askorov's game been so far.

Askarov is a stud Joe.  2.39 GAA and .911 SV in the AHL last year as a 22 year old.  Much better numbers than Silovs.  But you are right, we haven't really had any luck with Russians.  Bure was the dream but the dream ended too quickly.  Milstein is also Askarov's agent.  So not sure he still has an office at Rogers Arena...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I'd go hard after Askarov right now.  I'd easily give Nashville a 1st round pick.  IF Demko is ready to start the season, then you simply send either Silovs or Askarov to Abby for now.  You then trade Demko next summer.  IF he is healthy...

Ya, I concur, his injury history is scary and I'm sure the management has been weighing their options, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if they moved on from him while they can still get decent return in trade....they are competent enough to know that if they wait too long, and Demmer regresses (health wise) they would be handcuffed

I really like Askarov, he is far better already than some realize, and I would be okay with rotating him and Silovs throughout the season....and bringing in a seasoned vet or two on PTOs would be a likelihood also

Edited by Sophomore Jinx
  • Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Askarov just requested a trade out of Nashville. Why would he want to be in Vancouver if he's also not going to get much ice time when Demko is healthy? 

I don't think the Canucks go after Askarov, but the situation in Nashville is very different because (1) Saros is way more durable and (2) Saros just signed an 8 year extension. 

• ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Down By the River said:

I don't think the Canucks go after Askarov, but the situation in Nashville is very different because (1) Saros is way more durable and (2) Saros just signed an 8 year extension. 

It's not that much different since Saros is a legit starter like Demko. I guess where it really differs is that Nashville also signed a backup for multiple years, so Askarov is penned for the AHL right away again. Even when Demko is healthy, he'd probably get lots of games as a backup with us, as he's arguably better than Silovs. 

This whole situation is going to be an interesting one over the coming months. I think Demko is more of a concern than some fans want to believe. The good thing, though, is that Allvin is running the show and isn't afraid to make tough decisions. 

51 minutes ago, Rounoush said:

This thread is a little too panicky for my liking.

yeah, I'll add this to the list of things I'll consider worrying about 6 weeks from now. 

35 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

It's not that much different since Saros is a legit starter like Demko. I guess where it really differs is that Nashville also signed a backup for multiple years, so Askarov is penned for the AHL right away again. Even when Demko is healthy, he'd probably get lots of games as a backup with us, as he's arguably better than Silovs. 

This whole situation is going to be an interesting one over the coming months. I think Demko is more of a concern than some fans want to believe. The good thing, though, is that Allvin is running the show and isn't afraid to make tough decisions. 

Milstein is Askarov’s agent. Milstein used to be one of our AGM’s and had an office at Rogers Arena. So he probably knows the inner workings of our team and whether or not we will be extending Demko next summer. 

If Demko is on the trade block next summer then Vancouver would be an excellent destination for Askarov. He would easily become our starter and with our team he could win the Vezina in the next 3-4 years. 

27 minutes ago, Integra250 said:

How does a goalie go from being able to return to the WCF (if we had made it) to not ready for Training camp? Come on. Media just stirring things up before the start of the season.

Well that is the concern right?  Demko was supposedly going to be ready for round 3. Now we hear he was off skates until after the draft. And is still recovering. And when asked whether he had a medical procedure in the summer, there was dead silence. This is all according to Rick Dhaliwal. 

So there should be some level of concern here. 

Let's be clear about what was really being said in that piece.

"What I am hearing is that he is progressing ..."

"I’m not hearing any setbacks on Demko. [I’m] not hearing anything super bad about Demko’s rehab."

'I’m not super concerned about Demko ..."

Everything else is hot air. I

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

I don’t understand. At one point, they were saying that if the Canucks had beaten Edmonton, Demko would’ve been ready to play in the third round. Now he’s had an entire summer of rest and recovery, and they’re saying he’s still not ready!? Sounds to me like a total mismanagement of the injury in the first place. They need to put this guy on LTIR, get another goalie, and give him the time to recuperate. Also, having Silovs as the backup will not help Demko load management one bit. We need a Goalie who can play 25 to 30 games 

FFS, leave it to the Canucks to get my blood boiling in the middle of the summer lol. Hope everyone is having a great one

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Jester13 said:

Askarov just requested a trade out of Nashville. Why would he want to be in Vancouver if he's also not going to get much ice time when Demko is healthy? 

Is it really that hard to comprehend?

Demko's contract is far shorter, and he's already battled injury issues. We have Silovs likely to be backup, who could play a lot of games if Demo gets hurt again. Askarov should absolutely want what Silovs has right now.

Let's keep things in perspective with Silovs.

He was the star of not one but TWO back-to-back World Championships, even taking MVP against many of the best players in the world. 

Then was thrust into the playoffs and took us to the 2nd round Game 7.

He's more than ready to handle the load. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

2 hours ago, Jester13 said:

because demko may never really be healthy again