[Report] Demko Status - Team looking for more goaltending help

Grandmaster

I just had a look at the Nucks goaltending depth after Demko and Silovs.

No Demko to literally start, so who’s Silovs backup?!
It’s uncharted waters!

So I know why management would be sniffing around, too bad we don’t still have DeSmith.

And too bad his injury was/is this bad!! Damn!

1 hour ago, Blue said:

They are trying to break it to the market slowly. Demko isn't going to be ready. The first 7-10 games can ruin your playoff chances as we have seen 

Edmonton has shown that to not be the case last season. We just need to hold 500 hockey before Demko comes back.

When the Canucks announced they had changed their medical staff I had hope.  For years if felt like we had "yes" doctors, and our management under previous regime would be more old school and be the "tell is what we want to hear or we'll get another doctor" people.  For years, as far back as Hodgson all the way to Pearson. I had hoped we have doctors that put the players first.  I don't care how bad the opinion, tell it to me straight.  At least with the truth you can prepare for it.  The unpopular opinion would have "sorry Allvin, Demko is done for the season".  It might not have been what people wanted to hear but rushing him back could have set his recovery back, now he's doubtful for the preseason.  He lasted 1 game.  Now It's just a feeling I got that that's how it all went down in the playoffs.  I don't have any real proof all I know is the Canucks have a sus track record.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, tas said:

dude, you're the one suggesting people have a legit reason to panic. your first post that I quoted. 

I was poking fun at earlier posters suggesting others were panicking , not me. :classic_biggrin:

6 hours ago, tas said:

is missing preseason games a genuine cause for panic in your mind?

your therapist must make a killing. 

Demko has been out since May. Hasn’t played any hockey since. Now he’s going to be out until October. That’s 5 months. What kind of injury takes 5 months to heal?

4 hours ago, Blue said:

They are trying to break it to the market slowly. Demko isn't going to be ready. The first 7-10 games can ruin your playoff chances as we have seen 

He might have a torn ACL. Remember when they hid Mikheyev’s torn ACL for 5 months?  Could be a season ending injury. 

As much as I don’t want to say it, but the Canucks need a need goaltender of the future. Demko has become too injury prone/unreliable. Does not matter if he plays lights out when he plays when he’s not playing as much as he should be. 

Silovs is 50/50 in potential to be a full time starter. We need another prospect or two stewing in the minors to ensure we have a home grown talent coming in at some point if Silovs is not the one. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Demko has been out since May. Hasn’t played any hockey since. Now he’s going to be out until October. That’s 5 months. What kind of injury takes 5 months to heal?

7 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He might have a torn ACL. Remember when they hid Mikheyev’s torn ACL for 5 months?  Could be a season ending injury. 

different panic thresholds I think. 

18 hours ago, tas said:

is missing preseason games a genuine cause for panic in your mind?

your therapist must make a killing. 

Unfortunately this concern is being substantial . A previous writer stated tall goaltender were more injury prone . Being 6'4" 50 yrs ago and an amateur athlete, I also had this belief. 

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So you can’t really answer the question as to why Demko will be out for at least 5 months, maybe longer. Seems like a few posters are in complete denial. 

if that ends up being the case, I would deduce that they initially didn't think surgery was necessary and then rehab didn't produce the results they were expecting, so they had to call an audible and do a procedure, extending the recovery window. 

these things happen. its sports, injuries -- even to important players -- are part of it. 

if the canucks can't pull together and put wins together in spite of it, they weren't contenders in the first place. 

none of this, in my assessment, warrants even the slightest degree of panic, or even worry. just let things play out and enjoy the games, let the capable professionals do their jobs and hope for the best. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, tas said:

if that ends up being the case, I would deduce that they initially didn't think surgery was necessary and then rehab didn't produce the results they were expecting, so they had to call an audible and do a procedure, extending the recovery window. 

these things happen. its sports, injuries -- even to important players -- are part of it. 

if the canucks can't pull together and put wins together in spite of it, they weren't contenders in the first place. 

none of this, in my assessment, warrants even the slightest degree of panic, or even worry. just let things play out and enjoy the games, let the capable professionals do their jobs and hope for the best. 

Sounds like Demko is the one who refused surgery and wanted to rehab the knee.  It didn't go well.  Obviously, it is a tear of some sort.  This has Ilya Mikheyev written all over it.  It's not a good look...

14 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Sounds like Demko is the one who refused surgery and wanted to rehab the knee.  It didn't go well.  Obviously, it is a tear of some sort.  This has Ilya Mikheyev written all over it.  It's not a good look...

i have no idea where you're getting your information, but if that's the case, who other than thatcher demko should be making the decisions about his body?

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Surgery is always the last option especially for a goalie.

I doubt he refused it they probably decided to rehab it and hope for the best. Once that didn’t improve it they may have made the decision.

There would be nobody to blame in that scenario. That’s simply following the steps every athlete would to try to ensure the longevity of their career.

All that matters is getting him back to 100% and keeping him healthy. I don’t care if that means he’s out until November or even later. For us to win a championship we need him back, rested, and 100%.

Edited by DeNiro

Im guessing he has a minor tear of his meniscus. Tried the rehab route and likely still causing issues.

Surgery for this can be complicated with many different options

First is to cut the tear out and have a total rehab time of 2 months but opens up future complications

The second is to try to reconnect the tear, this is a 6-8 month recovery with better long term success if successful 

I suspect that because of the optimism of management that he will play this season it would be a small meniscus tear that will just be removed

On 8/23/2024 at 7:26 PM, DSVII said:

Edmonton has shown that to not be the case last season. We just need to hold 500 hockey before Demko comes back.

the canucks schedule to start is not easy. they have hurricanes panthers lightnings devils penguins 2x flyers who we historically horrible against regardless they rebuilding or not.. and also we don't even know when demko will resume practicing and he's going to have 0 preseason games so he's prolly in preseason form.. we might not be as bad as edmonton's start last season.. but we could be in for something similar.. especially with so many new players on defence and offence.. and let's be realistic.. this team ain't gonna be pulling a edmonton or st louis couple seasons ago if they fall face first out of the gate.. what edmonton or st louis have done was unrealistic. looking at the first 20 games it's not going to be easy.. we play 12 teams that should be in the playoff mix and sprinkle in 2 games against the flyers.. 14 out of 20 games that are tough opponents with 6 bottom feeders sprinkled in.. we better pray demko comes back soon or silov plays out of this mind.

• Cheers 1

21 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

the canucks schedule to start is not easy. they have hurricanes panthers lightnings devils penguins 2x flyers who we historically horrible against regardless they rebuilding or not.. and also we don't even know when demko will resume practicing and he's going to have 0 preseason games so he's prolly in preseason form.. we might not be as bad as edmonton's start last season.. but we could be in for something similar.. especially with so many new players on defence and offence.. and let's be realistic.. this team ain't gonna be pulling a edmonton or st louis couple seasons ago if they fall face first out of the gate.. what edmonton or st louis have done was unrealistic. looking at the first 20 games it's not going to be easy.. we play 12 teams that should be in the playoff mix and sprinkle in 2 games against the flyers.. 14 out of 20 games that are tough opponents with 6 bottom feeders sprinkled in.. we better pray demko comes back soon or silov plays out of this mind.

Best case scenario: Silov starts the season well and play like a #1 goalie.  We then can ease Demko in anytime and be a back-up until he's ready to take over whenever Silov falters in a long season with a bad string of games as it bounds to happen to every goalie in the league and Demko takes over and play like a #1 and suddenly we have top two #1 in the league and use that as a bait for next off-season moves.   There will be a bidding war for whoever end up being traded and we reap the benefit down the  road.   I don't see any reason if Silov cannot carry over to new season.  The only thing he lacked is the regular season experience which is a different beast than the playoff since it's a marathon, not a sprint.  I recall that it is different injury from the playoffs, not one that he got hurt in Jets' game in March.  

It's the timeline that gets me, I have many questions. Like, Did Ian Clark take a demotion because of Demko's setback?  I hope he doesn't feel responsible in some way. He shouldn't because the decision was Demko's. Also did the Canucks put too much pressure on Clark to get Demko ready and now that Demko has had a setback does he bare any feelings of responsibility? How is Demko taking it? How will he handle not having Clark around as much? How could he not feel like the decisions he made that led up to to this injury is the reason Ian Clark stepped down as his personal goalie coach? 

4 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

It's the timeline that gets me, I have many questions. Like, Did Ian Clark take a demotion because of Demko's setback?  I hope he doesn't feel responsible in some way. He shouldn't because the decision was Demko's. Also did the Canucks put too much pressure on Clark to get Demko ready and now that Demko has had a setback does he bare any feelings of responsibility? How is Demko taking it? How will he handle not having Clark around as much? How could he not feel like the decisions he made that led up to to this injury is the reason Ian Clark stepped down as his personal goalie coach? 

First, Clarke to work in a different capacity. He wasn’t “demoted, as you expressed. He wanted the change and Allvin accommodated him. Second, Demko will start opening night. 

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

First, Clarke to work in a different capacity. He wasn’t “demoted, as you expressed. He wanted the change and Allvin accommodated him. Second, Demko will start opening night. 

I like your optimism Alf. But even if it's not a demotion why the job change?  Is family the real reason?  Again it's the timing.

5 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

I like your optimism Alf. But even if it's not a demotion why the job change?  Is family the real reason?  Again it's the timing.

My understanding is that it was Clark's decision to move away from the on-ice activities because of the physical requirements as he is getting older. Also, that this wasn't a surprise to the Canucks but the media has tied it significantly more into the Demko situation.

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

4 hours ago, Drive-By Body Pierce said:

My understanding is that it was Clark's decision to move away from the on-ice activities because of the physical requirements as he is getting older. Also, that this wasn't a surprise to the Canucks but the media has tied it significantly more into the Demko situation.

After all, what's sexier and sells more clicks?

Scenario 1:

"Man, I'm getting old and my body can't handle the day to day hustle of on-ice demands."

"Ok Clarkie, we'll find you a role in scouting and development."

*Demko rumours abound*

Media - "Old man retires from on-ice activities, moves to front office for better pay and less physical role."

or 

Scenario 2:

"Man, I'm getting old and my body can't handle the day to day hustle of on-ice demands."

"Ok Clarkie, we'll find you a role in scouting and development."

*Demko rumours abound*

Media - "Demko fooked, Clark demoted in response, panic disarray and pandemonium on the team, oh my!"

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 2