[Report] Demko Status - Team looking for more goaltending help

Grandmaster

On 8/23/2024 at 6:52 PM, Blue said:

They are trying to break it to the market slowly. Demko isn't going to be ready. The first 7-10 games can ruin your playoff chances as we have seen 

We are a good enough team to make the playoffs with a slight downgrade in goal 

I'm a silovs believer 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

41 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

I'm a silovs believer 

We're a better team to the start of this year than they were to start last year.  The reason is Tocchet's structured system and the personal to implement that system.  Kuzmenko, Mikheyev, and Beauviller out, and DeBrusk, Heinen, Sprong and Sherwood in.  We don't have Lindholm but he was never the long term solution, he was never gonna be the 3rd line centre and Petey wasn't gonna be the 3rd line centre either.  Zadorov cap is too rich for a 5th D, especially wiTh DPetey making his way into the lineup this year.  Silovs is still learning but with a structured system he should be fine.  

The Canucks are a deeper team going in to thIs season than they were last year.  Tocchet won't be butting heads with anyone and the players on this team know how to play a 2 way game. 

It looks like they were very aggressive trying to get him back in. But it was Demko's decision. Hard to know what management was thinking. They probably wanted him back as fast as possible as well.  

But wasn't Mikheyev's situation similar?  You have a guy that played on a bad knee hoping it would get better before he finally gave in to having surgery.  Sacrificing long term health for an

immediate return, instead of biting the bullet and getting the surgery done right away.  

Edited by Pure961089
  • Cheers 2

On 8/23/2024 at 8:26 PM, DSVII said:

Edmonton has shown that to not be the case last season. We just need to hold 500 hockey before Demko comes back.

Edmonton has the highest ceiling in the league. So i don't really like that logic. 

19 hours ago, erkayloomeh said:

I'm a silovs believer 

I agree. We were good enough in the previous 2 season too. But sometimes sh** can really go sideways

On 8/23/2024 at 11:15 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

He might have a torn ACL. Remember when they hid Mikheyev’s torn ACL for 5 months?  Could be a season ending injury. 

It better not be season ending. We should have overpaid for Askarov in that case.

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952xuj812b5atieq9hbdg

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Seravalli confirms Demko has a knee injury...

Who’s Seravelli’s source? Demko had a knee injury. He’s healed up and will be in goal starting night. Source - “The Empties”. 
All bow. 

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Who’s Seravelli’s source? Demko had a knee injury. He’s healed up and will be in goal starting night. Source - “The Empties”. 
All bow. 

Seravelli is scrub, he's really soured on me since his take going to bat for Bowman

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, DSVII said:

Seravelli is scrub, he's really soured on me since his take going to bat for Bowman

Isn’t he the young guy who likes fighting with seagulls for French fries in McDonald’s parking lots? Or is it doughnuts in Timmy’s dumpsters? 

• ThereItIs 1

Sucks if we have to use up all the rest of the cap savings to get another goaltender......just in case.

I also have questions about why Demko was purportedly going to be available for the third round of the playoffs, but is still not recovered?  And may not be to start the season?  Does not compute.  Unfortunately this organization has a long sad history of misdiagnosis and under-diagnosis. Rushing players back before they are ready. And it always bites them back harder.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

At some point the team is gonna have to release a statement on Demko.

I’ll wait until I hear something from the team.

The team probably didnt want to lose leverage in negotiations for Askarov

Looks like they might go with Silovs now

• Upvote 1

Wow, you can always tell the media needs clickbait, if Demko doesn't start for 5-10 games into the season even, what does it matter? It's not like Silovs can't play that for us as a starter to get the season going and do almost as well. 

Now the media has it we could be looking for another goalie, that's ridiculous but that's just like them to do. 

Funny thing is, people fall for it everytime, not everyone obviously but it's lame...

I get that there isn't much going on right now but it doesn't mean they HAVE to start rumours but it does show how desperate they are for some news but it doesn't make them look very good at any rate.

Wish we could be like our team and trade media away for upgrades! We definitely need it! 

• Cheers 3

On 8/26/2024 at 4:20 PM, Pure961089 said:

We're a better team to the start of this year than they were to start last year.  The reason is Tocchet's structured system and the personal to implement that system.  Kuzmenko, Mikheyev, and Beauviller out, and DeBrusk, Heinen, Sprong and Sherwood in.  We don't have Lindholm but he was never the long term solution, he was never gonna be the 3rd line centre and Petey wasn't gonna be the 3rd line centre either.  Zadorov cap is too rich for a 5th D, especially wiTh DPetey making his way into the lineup this year.  Silovs is still learning but with a structured system he should be fine.  

The Canucks are a deeper team going in to thIs season than they were last year.  Tocchet won't be butting heads with anyone and the players on this team know how to play a 2 way game. 

I think Toc made it clear what kind of players he wanted and how badly we got manhandled physically made it doubly clear that if we were to get any further this season changes definitely needed to be made, I'm not sure we have that much more depth to make a difference but we do have upgrades to be sure. 

I disagree Dpetey will make the team this year, I see him playing with Abby to see how he progresses and possibly a injury call up but I can definitely see him as a possibility for a spot next season if he continues to do well. 

I just think it might be too big of a expectation to put on him at this point in time, I think the same can be said of Willander, "almost" ready but need some time yet, how much time? Hard to say, D the second hardest position in hockey, do both of them have the IQ and thought speed and foot speed to make it for sure? 

In the NHL, no one knows for sure, a player can look like it coming in but fall flat and be a career AHL'er, do I think both can make it?

I don't see why not but I wouldn't bet my paycheck on it, however I think they will have every opportunity to make and I sure hope they do.

If I got my pick to have one or the other in the line-up, I'd pick Dpetey for his size and snarl (which I was surprised to see) 

I think Willander has a bit more raw skill but it's close. 

Definitely like them both though.

I said at the BEGINNING of last year the Canucks needed to use Demko sparingly... and not play him a lot back to back.

It should have been obvious to anyone who even took a cursory look at his injury history that he was fragile.

They had a really good backup in DeSmith, and they were a shoo in for for the playoffs, so why not play it safe???

But NO, Tocchet plays him like he is some indestructible robot.

Then after he is injured, he plays him in the post season too soon.... and he gets injured AGAIN.

And now, Silovs is injured and the team is REALLY f*cked.

Someone in upper management needs to look hard at the Canucks medical Staff and have a talk with Tocchet about not pressuring them to ok players who are not ready.

This could easily end up with a suit against the Canucks for Medical Malpractice.