[Report] Demko Status - Team looking for more goaltending help

Grandmaster

3 hours ago, Blue said:

Demko is fast tracking the Schneider retirement. This ain't good 

“I’m not hearing any setbacks on Demko. [I’m] not hearing anything super bad about Demko’s rehab. But sometimes you’ve got to be prepared for the unprepared. So I think they might be poking around the goalie market, maybe a PTO, who knows.”

What about this sounds like he's heading towards an early retirement exactly?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

“I’m not hearing any setbacks on Demko. [I’m] not hearing anything super bad about Demko’s rehab. But sometimes you’ve got to be prepared for the unprepared. So I think they might be poking around the goalie market, maybe a PTO, who knows.”

Two major knee injuries in the same year? 

5 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

It is concerning that Demko still isn't healthy after all of this time. Curious to see who the goalie is they trade for. 

Who says we're trading for anyone?

17 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Two major knee injuries in the same year? 

I fail to see how this answers the question. Every report so far has said he's expected to be 100% by training camp and everything in this article says that as well.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

26 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I find it funny that Dhaliwal puts this out there to concern monger about Demko yet actually says in the article ...

"I’m not super concerned about Demko ..."

He always was a Master Baiter...

...of Clicks.  :hurhur:

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • ThereItIs 1

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

This is why we traded Podkolzin.  To free up $1 million in cap space.  We now have almost $3.5 million in cap space with LTIR.  Enough to get a starting goalie if necessary...

If they need a starting goalie that means demko is on LTIR and they would have another 5 million available

• ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, Integra250 said:

How does a goalie go from being able to return to the WCF (if we had made it) to not ready for Training camp? Come on. Media just stirring things up before the start of the season.

Well it looks like the goalie is chronically injured is how. He has had major injuries pretty much almost every single season. Didn't he have hip surgeries in college? 

Knees and hips don't get healthier with age. 

I hate to say it.. but if they can swing a deal for Demko with a team willing to pay for the Vezina hype at some point this year... they should take it. He is approaching 30.. coming to the end of a deal where he will want a raise given his imagined status... but in reality he isn't reliable and never really has been. He is really really good for stretches then unavailable. Can't build a team around that. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I find it funny that Dhaliwal puts this out there to concern monger about Demko yet actually says in the article ...

"I’m not super concerned about Demko ..."

Canucks fans don’t read that part though they immediately jump to the worst case scenarios.

Such a fragile market still. 🤣

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, BenMaverick said:

Same source said he "doesn't know if Demko has had surgery" so take that with a grain of salt. 

Media again thinking that they’re entitled to every bit of information.

Maybe he did maybe he didn’t. Maybe they’re taking things slow with his rehab.

Not having a timeline doesn’t mean a whole lot since timelines are usually fluid. And you know it’s still august so the team doesn’t need to give out every bit of information regarding players.

Looking for another goalie doesn’t mean a whole lot either. Could just be a PTO situation where they want Silovs to be challenged. Having another goalie in camp if Demko isn’t 100% yet isn’t the worst thing.

• Cheers 2

Playoffs is when we need Demko the most.   Yes this is concerning, because we need to make the playoffs first.   Allvin brought in players that aren't fun to play against, creating an identity as well in the process.   Tochett will have his hands full.   If the trend continues with his ability to get through to players, then things should work out fine.  

Edited by IBatch

16 hours ago, MeanSeanBean said:

The injuries are adding up. He's just statistically unlikely to play well into his 30's at this rate.

• Cheers 1

49 minutes ago, Blue said:

The injuries are adding up. He's just statistically unlikely to play well into his 30's at this rate.

Statistically? Which statistics are you basing this off of? I did a quick search of other current top NHL goalies such as Saros, Shesterkin, Markstrom, ect and saw a comparable number of injuries in each case. Notable outlier being Hellebuyck who has been shockingly healthy over his career.

The only difference I saw is Demko's knee this year was re-injured, likely from returning to early, which is pretty normal in pro sports. But he doesn't have an injury history of his knee being a weak spot? Does he. I could be missing that. In the past he's had a groin injury, which is very common in goalies. So as long as this rehab is successful, which we currently don't have an reason to believe it won't be, I don't see this as a long term issue.

Really, I'm just curious to what statics you are using to determine something as bold as he is unlikely to play into his 30's.

Edited by MeanSeanBean
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Statistically? Which statistics are you basing this off of? I did a quick search of other current top NHL goalies such as Saros, Shesterkin, Markstrom, ect and saw a comparable number of injuries in each case. Notable outlier being Hellebuyck who has been shockingly healthy over his career.

The only difference I saw is Demko's knee this year was re-injured, likely from returning to early, which is pretty normal in pro sports. But he doesn't have an injury history of his knee being a weak spot? Does he. I could be missing that. In the past he's had a groin injury, which is very common in goalies. So as long as this rehab is successful, which we currently don't have an reason to believe it won't be, I don't see this as a long term issue.

Really, I'm just curious to what statics you are using to determine something as bold as he is unlikely to play into his 30's.

One thing that i've noticed is taller goalies seem to have a shorter shelf life. And often are injured.  Rinne, Bishop, Markstrom,  Demko.   He's a tall dude (have met him, not an exaggerated 6'4 plus "),  it seems once guys get over the 6'2" they've got a tougher time staying healthy.    Luongo range (height) seems to be the limit.   There is a logical reason for this...in the same way stone masons are usually shorter stockier guys, at least the ones with longevity and don't end up with bad backs after a decade or so, the mechanics aren't in tall goalies favour.  For one that much more body to fall on (legs in full stretch).     Rinne was the best of the bunch, and was often out.   Hellebuyck is kind of bucking that trend a bit.   Still needs to duplicate what he's already done to approach the longest serving goalies...personally wouldn't put money on that.    Still he's 30 and already played 9 seasons which is extremely rare these days.    Demko in theory, should have another 7 years one would think anyways (taking him to 35). 

Edited by IBatch
  • Upvote 1