[Report] Demko Status - Team looking for more goaltending help

Grandmaster

On 8/20/2024 at 11:06 AM, Grandmaster said:

Dhaliwal: Demko not yet 100%, no timetable; ‘wouldn’t be surprised’ if #Canucks continue to poke around goalie market.

Wtf? Still a month to go for Training Camp. Dem better be ready by then. If this is career ending then we are screwed. Our overall D is not elite to make up for average goaltending

Thread title misleading.  Would be nice if you changed it.  

9 hours ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Statistically? Which statistics are you basing this off of? I did a quick search of other current top NHL goalies such as Saros, Shesterkin, Markstrom, ect and saw a comparable number of injuries in each case. Notable outlier being Hellebuyck who has been shockingly healthy over his career.

The only difference I saw is Demko's knee this year was re-injured, likely from returning to early, which is pretty normal in pro sports. But he doesn't have an injury history of his knee being a weak spot? Does he. I could be missing that. In the past he's had a groin injury, which is very common in goalies. So as long as this rehab is successful, which we currently don't have an reason to believe it won't be, I don't see this as a long term issue.

Really, I'm just curious to what statics you are using to determine something as bold as he is unlikely to play into his 30's.

You mentioned 3 teams. I don't recall those teams being in the Spencer Martin/Delia wilderness for long stretches and entering 2 playoff rounds without their starting goalie. But maybe I missed it 

He's unlikely to be the 2nd coming of Craig Anderson. That's all I'm saying 

Edited by Blue

• Grandmaster changed the title to [Report] Demko Status - Team looking for more goaltending help
1 hour ago, Blue said:

You mentioned 3 teams. I don't recall those teams being in the Spencer Martin/Delia wilderness for long stretches and entering 2 playoff rounds without their starting goalie. But maybe I missed it 

He's unlikely to be the 2nd coming of Craig Anderson. That's all I'm saying 

Earlier you stated it as fact by saying statically. So I was just checking in to see if you actually had statistics I wasn't aware of that backed this up. That's all I was asking.

Man wtf did i say after playoffs 🤣🤣 u couldve been a prime partner for jersey or one of these other teams in the goalie market u couldve sold high on him but everyone laughed at me his injuries arent gonna get better with age u dump 5 mill fill out our needs and run with silovs 

3 hours ago, TopCheese said:

Man wtf did i say after playoffs 🤣🤣 u couldve been a prime partner for jersey or one of these other teams in the goalie market u couldve sold high on him but everyone laughed at me his injuries arent gonna get better with age u dump 5 mill fill out our needs and run with silovs 

742A6540-3AC5-4972-80C5-6664E5CB078A.gif.d92f92dfdd55f5c4c943fe8e1dfd97a3.gif

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

742A6540-3AC5-4972-80C5-6664E5CB078A.gif.d92f92dfdd55f5c4c943fe8e1dfd97a3.gif

Ya, lots of red flags around Demko's health. He is going into his contract year and PA will have to make hard decision. Whether healthy or not I think Tocchet has to play Silovs at least 30 games. That should tell the tale about his NHL future. If Silovs plays well it allows PA more flexibility with Demko. 

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

On 8/20/2024 at 12:15 PM, Chickenspear said:

“I’m not hearing any setbacks on Demko. [I’m] not hearing anything super bad about Demko’s rehab. But sometimes you’ve got to be prepared for the unprepared. So I think they might be poking around the goalie market, maybe a PTO, who knows.”

“I’m not super concerned about Demko; I just think you have to protect yourselves. I just heard this week that they’re again poking around the goalie market, just making some calls, that’s all. The red flag is not out; he should be okay. But maybe his rehab is not going as fast as some like.”

Just taking a little longer to recover is all.

Maybe he's fine but his injury history makes the canucks feel nervous about not having a solid backup. 

To be honest, as good as Silovs was, Demko going down cost us the playoffs.. Maybe we're trying to eliminate that risk. 

On 8/20/2024 at 1:29 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

Askarov is a stud Joe.  2.39 GAA and .911 SV in the AHL last year as a 22 year old.  Much better numbers than Silovs.  But you are right, we haven't really had any luck with Russians.  Bure was the dream but the dream ended too quickly.  Milstein is also Askarov's agent.  So not sure he still has an office at Rogers Arena...

It's rumored the kid has a bit of a chip on his shoulder and a fuk you, its all about me attitude. Add to that he has played what 3 NHL games?, and already demanding a trade suggests that is something you don't want in your organization. 

5 minutes ago, tas said:

is missing preseason games a genuine cause for panic in your mind?

your therapist must make a killing. 

You don't think he is going through some sort of set back? He is still not 100% no matter how rosy you want to paint the picture. I was all for selling while he is a hot commodity but that is not looking so possible right now. Either way, I think Silov's is going to be our guy anyway ,down the road, as the playoffs is where we need good goaltending.

10 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

You don't think he is going through some sort of set back? He is still not 100% no matter how rosy you want to paint the picture. I was all for selling while he is a hot commodity but that is not looking so possible right now. Either way, I think Silov's is going to be our guy anyway ,down the road, as the playoffs is where we need good goaltending.

different panic thresholds I think. 

3 minutes ago, tas said:

different panic thresholds I think. 

There is absolutely no panic on my part. As I said , I am confident in Silov's abilities it just doesn't look good for Demko either way you sugar coat it. 

Just now, EdgarM said:

There is absolutely no panic on my part. As I said , I am confident in Silov's abilities it just doesn't look good for Demko either way you sugar coat it. 

dude, you're the one suggesting people have a legit reason to panic. your first post that I quoted. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, tas said:

is missing preseason games a genuine cause for panic in your mind?

your therapist must make a killing. 

They are trying to break it to the market slowly. Demko isn't going to be ready. The first 7-10 games can ruin your playoff chances as we have seen 

12 minutes ago, Blue said:

They are trying to break it to the market slowly. Demko isn't going to be ready. The first 7-10 games can ruin your playoff chances as we have seen 

panic away, I'm not stopping ya.