[Speculation] Canucks Testing Goalie Market Amid Thatcher Demko’s Injury

If this is true time to explore trade Demko next off season. While he still have a year remaining and we can hopefully get some value. There’s no way I’ll be comfortable in giving him any contract with terms.. he is as injury prone as Cory Schneider if not worse. 

6 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

Hope this doesn't turn into a Carey Price type situation.  The injuries have been stacking up and he hasn't put together a healthy season in quite some time. 

Durability is an issue with demko. Just sucks since we are looking like a threat.

Maybe it's better to trade him.

Ottawa gets:
Demko
4th from Vancouver 

2nd from Nashville

Vancouver gets:
Ullmark
Askarov

Nashville gets:
Silovs
1st from ottawa

not sure how fair the values are, but something g like this would be ideal.

Askarov requested a trade. Nashville gets an other goalie prospect who looked good in playoffs plus a first.

Vancouver uses demko and silvos, bit get ulmark to replace demko this year. Askarov for the future. 

ottawa gets a younger goalie that is in his prime. Maybe the 1st is too much on their end but hopefully a 2nd and 4th help.

Edited by Michael Scott
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Wiener 1

1 minute ago, Michael Scott said:

Durability is an issue with demko. Just sucks since we are looking like a threat.

Ottawa gets:
Demko
4th from Vancouver 

2nd from Ottawa

Vancouver gets:
Ullmark
Askarov

Nashville gets:
Silovs
1st from ottawa

Askarov requested a trade. Nashville gets an other goalie prospect who looked good in playoffs plus a first.

Vancouver uses demko and silvos, bit get ulmark to replace demko this year. Askarov for the future. 

ottawa gets a younger goalie that is in his prime. Maybe the 1st is too much on their end but hopefully a 2nd and 4th help.

Ottawa literally just signed Ulmark. I think theyre pretty happy to have him. I can't see them being interested in moving him for a guy you can't count on to stay healthy.  Also can't see Vancouver coming away with the best two goalies while only giving up a guy who's career may be over and a lesser goalie prospect (in comparison to Askarov) 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, qwijjibo said:

Ottawa literally just signed Ulmark. I think theyre pretty happy to have him. I can't see them being interested in moving him for a guy you can't count on to stay healthy.  Also can't see Vancouver coming away with the best two goalies while only giving up a guy who's career may be over and a lesser goalie prospect (in comparison to Askarov) 

Ottawa didn't sign Ulmark. They traded for him. No guarantee he signs with them. 

While silvos may not have the same "pedigree" as Askarov, he has played in the NHL playoffs and did well. Askarov asking for a trade doesn't help. I'm sure they could get a better prospect. 

I am curious to see what the return for Askarov is, if Nashville trades him.  

Ulmark played on Boston. How much of his success is from team defense. Demko played amazing for us when we had a poor defense. 

4 minutes ago, Michael Scott said:

Ottawa didn't sign Ulmark. They traded for him. No guarantee he signs with them. 

While silvos may not have the same "pedigree" as Askarov, he has played in the NHL playoffs and did well. Askarov asking for a trade doesn't help. I'm sure they could get a better prospect. 

I am curious to see what the return for Askarov is, if Nashville trades him.  

Ulmark played on Boston. How much of his success is from team defense. Demko played amazing for us when we had a poor defense. 

It's a catch 22 situation.  Nobody is going to trade thier starter for Demko unless he can stay healthy. At which point why would Vancouver trade him 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

13 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

does this mean the silly season is over or is it still being silly?

Still being silly. People want something to talk about while we wait for hockey again 

41 minutes ago, Michael Scott said:

Ottawa gets:
Demko
4th from Vancouver 

2nd from Nashville

Vancouver gets:
Ullmark
Askarov

Nashville gets:
Silovs
1st from ottawa

lol Ottawa get fleeced upside down.. they give up a Vezina winner for a injury prone goalie that’s not even ready to start the season likely on top they give up a 1st?? While Canucks gives up an injury prone goalie for a former Vezina winner thats not a big downgrade from Demko and is not injury prone on top gets the best goalie prospect in the nhl?? Love to get some of what u are smoking 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, tas said:

god, watching the telephone game in real time. go listen to what dhaliwal said for yourselves instead of this ridiculous misrepresentation. 

Josh Erikson had to make a bit of money during these dog days of summer. 

• Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, tas said:

god, watching the telephone game in real time. go listen to what dhaliwal said for yourselves instead of this ridiculous misrepresentation. 

“Training camp is around the corner, and here we are in mid-August, and nobody’s really talking about Demko [and] what’s going on,” Dhaliwal replied when asked what the latest he’s hearing on Demko. “What I am hearing is that he is progressing, but no timetable as to when he’s going to be 100% healthy.”

“That means for me, I wouldn’t be surprised if the Canucks continue to poke around the goalie market again,” Dhaliwal added. “The Canucks may need insurance, just in case, which is a good move on their part. This is the time of the season to talk to players’ agents about PTOs (professional tryouts).”

“Now, Demko’s coming off the back-to-back knee injuries, so sometimes rehab is fast, and sometimes rehab is slow,” Dhaliwal said. “Canucks, I’ve been told, have been worried about Demko’s rehab going back to the NHL draft. I think by that time, Demko had not skated since Game 7 against the Oilers.”

“I’m not hearing any setbacks on Demko. [I’m] not hearing anything super bad about Demko’s rehab. But sometimes you’ve got to be prepared for the unprepared. So I think they might be poking around the goalie market, maybe a PTO, who knows.”

“I asked if he had any medical procedures this summer, and I get absolutely radio silence on the other end,” Dhaliwal expressed. “But we have to understand; this is your starting goaltender who’s coming off two serious injuries. He needs time; he’s a big goaltender. This is why the importance of a good veteran backup like Casey DeSmith is so important.”

“I’m not super concerned about Demko; I just think you have to protect yourselves. I just heard this week that they’re again poking around the goalie market, just making some calls, that’s all. The red flag is not out; he should be okay. But maybe his rehab is not going as fast as some like.”

• Thanks 3