[Speculation] Canucks Testing Goalie Market Amid Thatcher Demko’s Injury

57 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

is it really jumping the gun early though? 

2024 injured ended the season

2023 injured ended the season

2022 played 64 games but started to fell apart after 50 games from fatigue (from game 51 and on his stats was pretty bad and we can only blame that on fatigue if not injury)

2021 healthy but split role so didn't exactly have a grueling schedule

2020 concussion

2019 knee injury, concussion

he only played 219 games in his career.. and he missed 72 games in the regular season from injury + 23 more in AHL + 12 in the playoffs.. that is actually worse than cory schneider.. cory schneider had that 1 big injury that kinda derailed and ended his career, but he wasn't like demko injured every single year almost

And yet, to replace him would be next to impossible, at least not without paying an arm and a leg. I feel I need to clarify here: when I mean "jumping the gun", I'm not just talking in terms of his injury history. I'm also talking in terms of what benefit would we have in trading him away. Right now, trading him away means we go from being a potential contender to questioning if we make the playoffs.

I don't know about you, but I'm not willing to go back to waiting for us to have another good goaltender. You can think negative all you want. I'm not stopping you. However, this is who we have right now: a goalie who's one of the best when not injured but does get injured.

Maybe Silovs or some other goalie in the system proves they are worthy eventually. Maybe we trade for Askarov even. Until that time though where we have a clear path to go, Demko's our guy.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 2

46 minutes ago, Northern_Nuck said:

Lekkerimaki for Askarov 

If we weren’t safe for awhile with Demko and seemingly Silovs and if we were richer in wing prospects - I could see it. But that’s the rub - each teams specific needs and assets. Honestly, I think Askarov’s value is likely higher than Lekker at this point and we’re just an ill-fitting trade partner. 

• Cheers 1

48 minutes ago, The Lock said:

And yet, to replace him would be next to impossible, at least not without paying an arm and a leg. I feel I need to clarify here: when I mean "jumping the gun", I'm not just talking in terms of his injury history. I'm also talking in terms of what benefit would we have in trading him away. Right now, trading him away means we go from being a potential contender to questioning if we make the playoffs.

I don't know about you, but I'm not willing to go back to waiting for us to have another good goaltender. You can think negative all you want. I'm not stopping you. However, this is who we have right now: a goalie who's one of the best when not injured but does get injured.

Maybe Silovs or some other goalie in the system proves they are worthy eventually. Maybe we trade for Askarov even. Until that time though where we have a clear path to go, Demko's our guy.

i dunno this league have proven you don't need elite goaltending to win a cup.. bobrovsky i don't consider elite anymore and wasn't in the cup run he was good but not elite level, Adin Hill, Kuemper, holtby, binnington, even matt murray. you just need good goaltending.

if demko is willing to sign long term for 6-7mil? by all means keep him.. but let's be realistic... with the cap going up, he's going to be heading into his last pay day.. and when healthy he's prolly one of the better goalies in the league... shesterkin will set the ceiling on his next contract which is prolly in the 10mil range.. are you comfortable paying demko 8.5 with any terms? i sure as hell ain't.. and would be more than happy to trade demko and try to look for a good not elite goaltender. i originally said earlier if he can get thru this season healthy then sure we can give him terms.. but looks like he can't even start the season.. we simply can't afford to be paying goalies in the mid 8-9 range that haven't proven they can play more than 50 games + playoff at an elite level.. there's not that many goalies that's capable.. even helly looks tired and bad every year they get to the playoff.. and the only season demko played more than 50 games he started to look tired after 50 games and then eventually injured and out.. same with this year.

31 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

i dunno this league have proven you don't need elite goaltending to win a cup.. bobrovsky i don't consider elite anymore and wasn't in the cup run he was good but not elite level, Adin Hill, Kuemper, holtby, binnington, even matt murray. you just need good goaltending.

if demko is willing to sign long term for 6-7mil? by all means keep him.. but let's be realistic... with the cap going up, he's going to be heading into his last pay day.. and when healthy he's prolly one of the better goalies in the league... shesterkin will set the ceiling on his next contract which is prolly in the 10mil range.. are you comfortable paying demko 8.5 with any terms? i sure as hell ain't.. and would be more than happy to trade demko and try to look for a good not elite goaltender. i originally said earlier if he can get thru this season healthy then sure we can give him terms.. but looks like he can't even start the season.. we simply can't afford to be paying goalies in the mid 8-9 range that haven't proven they can play more than 50 games + playoff at an elite level.. there's not that many goalies that's capable.. even helly looks tired and bad every year they get to the playoff.. and the only season demko played more than 50 games he started to look tired after 50 games and then eventually injured and out.. same with this year.

First of all, clearly your idea of who is elite and who isn't, along with who wasn't good but great for goalies, is different than mine. Aside from Hill and maybe Binnington, I consider the goalies you mentioned to have all been considered great even before their cup runs, so right there what you are basing on is different than the way I see things.

But let's for a moment look at things your way. So we base things on praying we have a cinderella goaltending story a la Binnington when most of the time this doesn't happen? Meanwhile, we see a Brobovsky, that you apprarently consider past their prime, win a cup. Meanwhile, we see Vasilevskiy win 2 cups.

Honestly, hell yeah I'm willing to pay Demko 8.5 million; however, I'll put a caveat to it: provided there are no other options for us at the time. I'm not willing to try our luck on a 'good' goalie that gives us a miniscule chance on a cinderella story. I'm all about the odds and the odds you are providing might as well be trying to sell me a piece of swamp land or a lottery ticket. I want to see us with the best chance of winning the cup and I don't think your stance does that for us. The goalie is arguably the most important part of a cup run. Vegas got lucky. St. Louis got lucky. Colorado, at least we knew Kuemper was good enough, etc, so maybe that works, but still.

Edited by The Lock

1 hour ago, Northern_Nuck said:

Lekkerimaki for Askarov 

Goalies who have proven nothing are worth much less than forwards or defencemen who have proven nothing.

Edited by J-23

9 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Goalies who have proven nothing are worth much less than forwards or defencemen who have proven nothing.

I could see them having interest in Raty.

They have Kemmel coming up and Saros locked up long term. Adding another Finn who plays a Trotz style of hockey might be tempting.

1 hour ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

If we weren’t safe for awhile with Demko and seemingly Silovs and if we were richer in wing prospects - I could see it. But that’s the rub - each teams specific needs and assets. Honestly, I think Askarov’s value is likely higher than Lekker at this point and we’re just an ill-fitting trade partner. 

Demko is done for the year it sounds like. Needs surgery. They’ll probably announce it by the weekend. 

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Northern_Nuck said:

Demko is done for the year it sounds like. Needs surgery. They’ll probably announce it by the weekend. 

Where did you hear this?

Not seeing anything of the sort out there yet.

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I could see them having interest in Raty.

They have Kemmel coming up and Saros locked up long term. Adding another Finn who plays a Trotz style of hockey might be tempting.

Maybe. I am high on Raty, I like his game in Abbotsford and I think Malhotra is the perfect coach for him.

I’m also confident with Silovs. Yes he has a lot to work on but that is expected and he’s shown that he can compete at a high level. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

First of all, clearly your idea of who is elite and who isn't, along with who wasn't good but great for goalies, is different than mine. Aside from Hill and maybe Binnington, I consider the goalies you mentioned to have all been considered great even before their cup runs, so right there what you are basing on is different than the way I see things.

But let's for a moment look at things your way. So we base things on praying we have a cinderella goaltending story a la Binnington when most of the time this doesn't happen? Meanwhile, we see a Brobovsky, that you apprarently consider past their prime, win a cup. Meanwhile, we see Vasilevskiy win 2 cups.

Honestly, hell yeah I'm willing to pay Demko 8.5 million; however, I'll put a caveat to it: provided there are no other options for us at the time. I'm not willing to try our luck on a 'good' goalie that gives us a miniscule chance on a cinderella story. I'm all about the odds and the odds you are providing might as well be trying to sell me a piece of swamp land or a lottery ticket. I want to see us with the best chance of winning the cup and I don't think your stance does that for us. The goalie is arguably the most important part of a cup run. Vegas got lucky. St. Louis got lucky. Colorado, at least we knew Kuemper was good enough, etc, so maybe that works, but still.

Kuemper niemi Murray x2 binnington hill crawford they were all good not great and won cups. That’s almost 50% in the last 15 years.. pretty good odds. until Demko can prove he can play more than 50 games a season at high level which he have yet to do.. I rather not pay a goalie 8.5mil to be in the press box either injured or lit up in the playoff like helly because he is fatigue.. 

how often does a vasilevskiy or a bobrovsky come along? Demko is no where near either of them at their prime. Also helps when Tampa got a 0 travel cup run and playing with at 20% over the salary cap. We have a better chance at praying for a Cinderella goalie run at this point than praying Demko finish the regular season healthy

11 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Kuemper niemi Murray x2 binnington hill crawford they were all good not great and won cups. That’s almost 50% in the last 15 years.. pretty good odds. until Demko can prove he can play more than 50 games a season at high level which he have yet to do.. I rather not pay a goalie 8.5mil to be in the press box either injured or lit up in the playoff like helly because he is fatigue.. 

how often does a vasilevskiy or a bobrovsky come along? Demko is no where near either of them at their prime. Also helps when Tampa got a 0 travel cup run and playing with at 20% over the salary cap. We have a better chance at praying for a Cinderella goalie run at this point than praying Demko finish the regular season healthy

Hold on, so your definition of odds doesn't include all of the team with just good goalies who didn't win the cup, nor does it include goalies that are considered great that also didn't win cups. You're just basing all of this one the cases that were successful and ignoring the majority of other cases. This is why I can't really take what you're saying seriously, because you seem to just think we get a good goalies and our odds of winning the cup are great!

And then there's your assessment of Demko, often ranked in the top 5 in the league for goaltending. In some lists, he's been ranked higher than Brobovsky, and you're telling me he's not in the same tier? The only thing that's been holding Demko back is injuries. That's it.

Like you said. How often does a Vasilevskiy or a Brobovsky come along? They don't. Yet, we have one in Demko. St. Louis didn't have a good goalie they shipped away before Binnington. Neither did Colorado. Las Vegas has a couple of good goalies but Vegas is Vegas in all their weird dealings. lol Fact is though, those teams didn't have the luxury of having a Demko like we have. Demko gives us a better chance at getting there and that's the entire point.

Anyway, we can agree to disagree on this. I don't agree fundamentally with your assessments and generally don't agree with most of your opinions on this forum that I've read so we're going to be at odds no matter what.

Edited by The Lock
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

They might get some plug backup for insurance that’s about it. We’re not trading for Askarov or anything like that. My guess is it’s a lighter training camp for Demko. That’s all 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3