[Speculation] Canucks Testing Goalie Market Amid Thatcher Demko’s Injury

8 hours ago, CaptainCanuck12 said:

What are the chances you're  Canuck Clay?!

Not at all. He’s probably here, he was at CDC. I just find he has so many hot takes.. as most of our fanbase does… like thinking you need to develop a top 10 pick for 5 years before they play a game in the NHL 😂

17 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

i dunno this league have proven you don't need elite goaltending to win a cup.. bobrovsky i don't consider elite anymore and wasn't in the cup run he was good but not elite level, Adin Hill, Kuemper, holtby, binnington, even matt murray. you just need good goaltending.

if demko is willing to sign long term for 6-7mil? by all means keep him.. but let's be realistic... with the cap going up, he's going to be heading into his last pay day.. and when healthy he's prolly one of the better goalies in the league... shesterkin will set the ceiling on his next contract which is prolly in the 10mil range.. are you comfortable paying demko 8.5 with any terms? i sure as hell ain't.. and would be more than happy to trade demko and try to look for a good not elite goaltender. i originally said earlier if he can get thru this season healthy then sure we can give him terms.. but looks like he can't even start the season.. we simply can't afford to be paying goalies in the mid 8-9 range that haven't proven they can play more than 50 games + playoff at an elite level.. there's not that many goalies that's capable.. even helly looks tired and bad every year they get to the playoff.. and the only season demko played more than 50 games he started to look tired after 50 games and then eventually injured and out.. same with this year.

No way we sign Demko for 8.5. He hasn’t proven that he can remain healthy. That’s poor asset management in my books. I would go as far as 7.5M for him long term. But 8.5M might be too much considering he just can’t seem to remain in tact physically. Does that improve as he ages? A part of me wishes he could. But if the past is any indication of the future. Then likely not. 

I would love Askarov. But Nashville is going to be asking for the moon for him. So no. 

18 hours ago, The Lock said:

And yet, to replace him would be next to impossible, at least not without paying an arm and a leg. I feel I need to clarify here: when I mean "jumping the gun", I'm not just talking in terms of his injury history. I'm also talking in terms of what benefit would we have in trading him away. Right now, trading him away means we go from being a potential contender to questioning if we make the playoffs.

I don't know about you, but I'm not willing to go back to waiting for us to have another good goaltender. You can think negative all you want. I'm not stopping you. However, this is who we have right now: a goalie who's one of the best when not injured but does get injured.

Maybe Silovs or some other goalie in the system proves they are worthy eventually. Maybe we trade for Askarov even. Until that time though where we have a clear path to go, Demko's our guy.

I agree that he’s our guy. This club will likely either live or die with our goalie. But if he’s out for any extended period of time. We’re fucked. 

16 hours ago, Northern_Nuck said:

Demko is done for the year it sounds like. Needs surgery. They’ll probably announce it by the weekend. 

Yeah. I haven’t heard anything about this. And if that was the case. Wouldn’t they have done it right after the post season ended? Why wait until now to get surgery? If that’s true. Management fucked this up pretty badly. 

2 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah. I haven’t heard anything about this. And if that was the case. Wouldn’t they have done it right after the post season ended? Why wait until now to get surgery? If that’s true. Management fucked this up pretty badly. 

or sounds like the "usual suspects" were involved in some way (eg., Canucks medical staff).  Been highly questionable going back to the Mike Gillis days.

15 hours ago, Devron said:

They might get some plug backup for insurance that’s about it. We’re not trading for Askarov or anything like that. My guess is it’s a lighter training camp for Demko. That’s all 

They have to manage his workload that’s for sure. If not. He’s going to get hurt again. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

or sounds like the "usual suspects" were involved in some way (eg., Canucks medical staff).  Been highly questionable going back to the Mike Gillis days.

Shoukd fire the medical staff and hire new ones. Good grief this has been bad. 

36 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

They have to manage his workload that’s for sure. If not. He’s going to get hurt again. 

Yeah I agree with that. Good when you have a young backup though. I think it’s important for Silovs development to get 30 plus games 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

An old friend called and asked me this morning if I’d heard that Demko was going for surgery. I said yes I heard about it yesterday morning… we both agreed whoever made that decision (if it’s true that surgery is needed) should be immediately terminated. If true and if it’s also true that Petey was playing injured last year… the health staff/ management is doing horribly with injury management. 

19 hours ago, Northern_Nuck said:

Demko is done for the year it sounds like. Needs surgery. They’ll probably announce it by the weekend. 

Didn't you say that the Canucks were going to sign Zadorov and that it was a done deal?

19 hours ago, RWJC said:

Where did you hear this?

Not seeing anything of the sort out there yet.

His source: trust me bro

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Probably his inner circle considering Woodley is a goalie analyst with lots of connections.  

Hes basically saying he doesn’t know but there’s a lot of talk. Cant confirm anything. Not really news is it? 

3 minutes ago, Devron said:

Hes basically saying he doesn’t know but there’s a lot of talk. Cant confirm anything. Not really news is it? 

He literally said he won't be ready for training camp.  Why wouldn't he be if he's not injured?  And why are the Canucks looking to get another goalie which has 100% been confirmed?  Please tell me you're not that naive to think there isn't a problem with Demko?  Remember when Demko was supposed to be back for round 3?  That was like 3 months ago...

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He literally said he won't be ready for training camp.  Why wouldn't he be if he's not injured?  And why are the Canucks looking to get another goalie which has 100% been confirmed?  Please tell me you're not that naive to think there isn't a problem with Demko?  Remember when Demko was supposed to be back for round 3?  That was like 3 months ago...

Doesn’t expect… Can’t confirm that… its quite possible that he’s not ready for training camp but I’ve been around since long enough to see enough lies spread around as well. Everyone wants to be relevant

1 minute ago, Devron said:

Doesn’t expect… Can’t confirm that… its quite possible that he’s not ready for training camp but I’ve been around since long enough to see enough lies spread around as well. Everyone wants to be relevant

Including you, no offense.

Why dont you just let ppl shoot the shit about it if they want to?