[Speculation] Canucks Testing Goalie Market Amid Thatcher Demko’s Injury

1 hour ago, RWJC said:

“Training camp is around the corner, and here we are in mid-August, and nobody’s really talking about Demko [and] what’s going on,” Dhaliwal replied when asked what the latest he’s hearing on Demko. “What I am hearing is that he is progressing, but no timetable as to when he’s going to be 100% healthy.”

“That means for me, I wouldn’t be surprised if the Canucks continue to poke around the goalie market again,” Dhaliwal added. “The Canucks may need insurance, just in case, which is a good move on their part. This is the time of the season to talk to players’ agents about PTOs (professional tryouts).”

“Now, Demko’s coming off the back-to-back knee injuries, so sometimes rehab is fast, and sometimes rehab is slow,” Dhaliwal said. “Canucks, I’ve been told, have been worried about Demko’s rehab going back to the NHL draft. I think by that time, Demko had not skated since Game 7 against the Oilers.”

“I’m not hearing any setbacks on Demko. [I’m] not hearing anything super bad about Demko’s rehab. But sometimes you’ve got to be prepared for the unprepared. So I think they might be poking around the goalie market, maybe a PTO, who knows.”

“I asked if he had any medical procedures this summer, and I get absolutely radio silence on the other end,” Dhaliwal expressed. “But we have to understand; this is your starting goaltender who’s coming off two serious injuries. He needs time; he’s a big goaltender. This is why the importance of a good veteran backup like Casey DeSmith is so important.”

“I’m not super concerned about Demko; I just think you have to protect yourselves. I just heard this week that they’re again poking around the goalie market, just making some calls, that’s all. The red flag is not out; he should be okay. But maybe his rehab is not going as fast as some like.”

26 minutes ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

I’m confident Silovs will do well, but wouldn’t this have been nice for reassurance at this point…

If Demko remains out for any extended period of time, I’m really curious to see if Tolopilo is called up and how he fares against some NHL competition. Was super impressed with him and his positioning in camp last year. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Captkirk888 said:

I’m not super concerned about Demko; I just think you have to protect yourselves. I just heard this week that they’re again poking around the goalie market, just making some calls, that’s all. The red flag is not out; he should be okay. But maybe his rehab is not going as fast as some like.”

Maybe I have a little more of an objective stance about some subjects than others, but makes sense to me we’d be potentially looking for a veteran backup given the small sample size of Silovs thus far and any potential for a Demko set back now or in the future (heaven forbid). 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, RWJC said:

I’m not super concerned about Demko; I just think you have to protect yourselves. I just heard this week that they’re again poking around the goalie market, just making some calls, that’s all. The red flag is not out; he should be okay. But maybe his rehab is not going as fast as some like.”

Maybe I have a little more of an objective stance about some subjects than others, but makes sense to me we’d be potentially looking for a veteran backup given the small sample size of Silovs thus far and any potential for a Demko set back now or in the future (heaven forbid). 

Fleury playing 1 more season. Come on JR time to call in a favor. Man I would love a Fleury Canucks Jersey!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Dhaliwal is saying a lot of nothing in this.  He isn’t even saying that Demko is still injured… he is saying he has heard nothing at all and is just speculating that they might want to shore up their goalie situation in case Demko isn’t ready.

I don’t think anyone has suggested that Demko won’t be ready for the season.  I can’t imagine that Alvin wouldn’t have signed another goalie already if he thought it was a risk.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

Guess that's us done then, don't have much flexibility at all now. This medical team has thrown a lot of curve balls over the years despite surely different staff and Demko's management has been very questionable - rushing him back from injury only to get re-injured, thinking he'd be ready for the next round and now this!

Sure it might be on Demko and bad luck but it doesn't sound good, all the flipping and flopping.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Makes me slightly happy that we didn't beat Edmonton which might've forced Demko to play earlier then he was ready to - imagine how much more damage that could've done to his knee...

Demo getting early retirement but winning a cup with us would be one hell of a way to go out. 

I've always known "no news is good news".

His insta shows him boating, on the golfcourse, etc. so nothing seemingly too bad or hampering his every day life.

"No timetable" isn't really unusual for a team that keeps its cards close to its chest. I'm not worried.....yet.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2