[Speculation] Canucks Testing Goalie Market Amid Thatcher Demko’s Injury

19 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

If this is true time to explore trade Demko next off season. While he still have a year remaining and we can hopefully get some value. There’s no way I’ll be comfortable in giving him any contract with terms.. he is as injury prone as Cory Schneider if not worse. 

This just seems like jumping the gun more than anything. I'm assuming it's from PTSD of the Cory Schneider days.

Know that PTSD doesn't always make one thing clearly or logically. It's all going to actually depend on Demko's situation in the end.

37 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

What I gather from this is no blockbuster, they’re kicking tires on a veteran stop gap just incase Demko has a setback. 

A nice, simple, sound, grounded take rather than over the top alarmist lunacy.

• Cheers 4

1 hour ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

Father Time gets us all and after an impressive career of on-ice activity, he’s decided to focus on scouting and development. I’m all for it! Plus our new goalie coach was hand picked by Clark and he worked with Shesterkin back in his SKA days. This management group just keeps on impressing. 

Looks like we're setting a good foundation for the future in net with Clark still in the org. It is impressive. 

35 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Looks like we're setting a good foundation for the future in net with Clark still in the org. It is impressive. 

Yeah Torenius is only 47yo.  Should be around for quite awhile.

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

It feels like part of it is knowing that Torenius is ready and not wanting to lose him.

When you start being known as the guy that developed Shesterkin and Askarov, and now Silovs, teams start to sniff around.

I don’t think Clarke does this unless he feels like the goalies are in good hands.

Good point.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

A nice, simple, sound, grounded take rather than over the top alarmist lunacy.

And this is what I don’t get. Why so many fans here quick to jump on this idea as though it’s not a possibility. It’s shocking how quick people are to just trash what might be a valid point or concern for this club given the injuries Demko has previously sustained and how reliant this club has and will be on him. It’s absurd to me some of the reactions here…like it’s just food for thought folks. No need to piss and shit all over a basic concept that is staring us right in the face as though the sky is falling. No one was making any mention of that nor do the articles out there portray this as some major catastrophe.  Some of the reactions here seem to be overreactions and a little hyperbolic. Maybe we’re sussing the market, regardless of Demko’s progression or not. Makes complete fucking sense, no?

Look at Silov’s limited playing history and tell me he’s a bonafide NHL player. Not enough proof of that yet and we’ve all seen G’s lose confidence and with that go the team fortunes. 

Edited by RWJC

41 minutes ago, RWJC said:

And this is what I don’t get. Why so many fans here quick to jump on this idea as though it’s not a possibility. It’s shocking how quick people are to just trash what might be a valid point or concern for this club given the injuries Demko has previously sustained and how reliant this club has and will be on him. It’s absurd to me some of the reactions here…like it’s just food for thought folks. No need to piss and shit all over a basic concept that is staring us right in the face as though the sky is falling. No one was making any mention of that nor do the articles out there portray this as some major catastrophe.  Some of the reactions here seem to be overreactions and a little hyperbolic. Maybe we’re sussing the market, regardless of Demko’s progression or not. Makes complete fucking sense, no?

Look at Silov’s limited playing history and tell me he’s a bonafide NHL player. Not enough proof of that yet and we’ve all seen G’s lose confidence and with that go the team fortunes. 

I see it as just that, sussing the market. Nothing wrong with that in case Demko needs more time. Yesterday's news stories, however, were more media alarmism, imo, and some reactions reflected that.

Well, we differ on Silovs though... 

The guy was the star of TWO back-to-back World Championships -2022 and 2023 - against many of the best players in the world, taking over for an NHL starter, even earning MVP.

Then he gets thrust into the NHL playoffs last year, taking us to Round 2 and Game 7 when everyone counted us out. 

That limited playing history is a hell of a lot more than most young goalies achieve before the NHL.

I'm not sure what more a young goalie needs to do in order for people to have confidence in the guy that he's actually ready at this level. 

This clip is all the proof I need ...

Edited by Dr. Crossbar
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I see it as just that, sussing the market. Nothing wrong with that in case Demko needs more time. Yesterday's news stories, however, were more media alarmism, imo, and some reactions reflected that.

Well, we differ on Silovs though... 

The guy was the star of TWO back-to-back World Championships -2022 and 2023 - against many of the best players in the world, taking over for an NHL starter, even earning MVP.

Then he gets thrust into the NHL playoffs last year, taking us to Round 2 and Game 7 when everyone counted us out. 

That limited playing history is a hell of a lot more than most young goalies achieve before the NHL.

I'm not sure what more a young goalie needs to do in order for people to have confidence in the guy that he's actually ready at this level. 

This clip is all the proof I need ...

I’m high on Silovs, but to risk an entire season on that limited NHL experience is a real gamble. He definitely has pedigree and that accounts for a lot, BUT if Demko goes down again, you’re putting a lot of eggs in a rookie’s basket and that’s no way to build and support confidence should he or the team hit a cold streak. He’s obviously a great option as a back up. As a long term starter solution this season in the event of a Demko aggravation or injury I think it’s not something mgmt is comfortable with, nor should they be given the types of investments they have made into this roster in prep for what might be our best lineup in a long while. 

Hate to ponder it, but Demmer has lost a LOT of games to sensitive injury in the past few years, and imho his workload may be a contributing factor. Ideally Demko stays healthy this season and his workload is cut back to 60% of his norm. Historically, he seems to play best when he’s given more TOI though. Regardless, mgmt has to groom Silovs somehow and this season presents the best and perhaps requisite scenario for that and the franchise going forward.

With regard to any stories being “alarmist” I just don’t agree and don’t see that. What I do see are fans pumping this concept up into something that is a self-driven hysteria only so they can knock it back down. Truth is, if Demko has a setback in camp or shortly after, that is a lot of weight to place on Silovs. 

I don’t think it unrealistic to assume Demko’s health could be an issue given what we’ve seen in recent seasons. I also don’t think it wise to assume any replacement will be able to give us similar performance over a full schedule. To me that’s like saying if Boeser goes down we can just pencil in Lekkerimaki and expect the same results and overall production. It’s not that simple and although Silovs has shown tremendous upside, you don’t just throw him to the wolves, especially as the G position is an island unto itself on any roster. You arent playing with linemates to bail you out or cover you if you slump…the whole team falters if you do. Heavy, heavy pressure. 

On the flip side, the one thing we do have now though is a stronger overall team D oriented roster. That would be a huge boon to Silovs should we lose Demko again at any point. I just hope we can find a way to maintain Demmer because having him for the playoffs would be our bread and butter, and this team (on paper anyway) sure looks like we are playoff bound once again.

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

22 minutes ago, RWJC said:

I’m high on Silovs, but to risk an entire season on that limited NHL experience is a real gamble. He definitely has pedigree and that accounts for a lot, BUT if Demko goes down again, you’re putting a lot of eggs in a rookie’s basket and that’s no way to build and support confidence should he or the team hit a cold streak. He’s obviously a great option as a back up. As a long term starter solution this season in the event of a Demko aggravation or injury I think it’s not something mgmt is comfortable with, nor should they be given the types of investments they have made into this roster in prep for what might be our best lineup in a long while. 

Hate to ponder it, but Demmer has lost a LOT of games to sensitive injury in the past few years, and imho his workload may be a contributing factor. Ideally Demko stays healthy this season and his workload is cut back to 60% of his norm. Historically, he seems to play best when he’s given more TOI though. Regardless, mgmt has to groom Silovs somehow and this season presents the best and perhaps requisite scenario for that and the franchise going forward.

With regard to any stories being “alarmist” I just don’t agree and don’t see that. What I do see are fans pumping this concept up into something that is a self-driven hysteria only so they can knock it back down. Truth is, if Demko has a setback in camp or shortly after, that is a lot of weight to place on Silovs. 

I don’t think it unrealistic to assume Demko’s health could be an issue given what we’ve seen in recent seasons. I also don’t think it wise to assume any replacement will be able to give us similar performance over a full schedule. To me that’s like saying if Boeser goes down we can just pencil in Lekkerimaki and expect the same results and overall production. It’s not that simple and although Silovs has shown tremendous upside, you don’t just throw him to the wolves, especially as the G position is an island unto itself on any roster. You arent playing with linemates to bail you out or cover you if you slump…the whole team falters if you do. Heavy, heavy pressure. 

On the flip side, the one thing we do have now though is a stronger overall team D oriented roster. That would be a huge boon to Silovs should we lose Demko again at any point. I just hope we can find a way to maintain Demmer because having him for the playoffs would be our bread and butter, and this team (on paper anyway) sure looks like we are playoff bound once again.

People are afraid of ice bucket,now when we are so close.But Demko injuries are reality.You dont swap spare parts on him and get going.There is always thought in my mind what if he was healthy last year,or will it be the same this one.Whatever

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, The Lock said:

This just seems like jumping the gun more than anything. I'm assuming it's from PTSD of the Cory Schneider days.

Know that PTSD doesn't always make one thing clearly or logically. It's all going to actually depend on Demko's situation in the end.

is it really jumping the gun early though? 

2024 injured ended the season

2023 injured ended the season

2022 played 64 games but started to fell apart after 50 games from fatigue (from game 51 and on his stats was pretty bad and we can only blame that on fatigue if not injury)

2021 healthy but split role so didn't exactly have a grueling schedule

2020 concussion

2019 knee injury, concussion

he only played 219 games in his career.. and he missed 72 games in the regular season from injury + 23 more in AHL + 12 in the playoffs.. that is actually worse than cory schneider.. cory schneider had that 1 big injury that kinda derailed and ended his career, but he wasn't like demko injured every single year almost

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, RWJC said:

I’m high on Silovs, but to risk an entire season on that limited MHL experience is a real gamble. He definitely has pedigree and that accounts for a lot, BUT if Demko goes down again, you’re putting a lot of eggs in a rookie’s basket and that’s no way to build and support confidence should he or the team hit a cold streak. He’s obviously a great option as a back up. As a long term starter solution this season in the event of a Demko aggravation or injury I think it’s not something mgmt is comfortable with, nor should they be given the types of investments they have made into this roster in prep for what might be our best lineup in a long while. 

I don’t think it unrealistic to assume Demko’s health could be an issue given what we’ve seen in recent seasons. I also don’t think it wise to assume any replacement will be able to give us similar performance over a full schedule. To me that’s like saying if Boeser goes down we can just pencil in Lekkerimaki and expect the same results and overall production. It’s not that simple and although Silovs has shown tremendous upside, you don’t just throw him to the wolves, especially as the G position is an island into itself on any roster. You arent playing with linemates to bail you out or cover you if you slump…the whole team falters if you do. Heavy, heavy pressure. 

Well, the issues need be separated here. My point about Silovs was in reference to his limited playing history and pointing out that we're not just talking about average middle of the road AHL development. We're talking high caliber hockey both Internationally with pros and the NHL playoffs. That limited history is different in a short period of time.

In both cases, Worlds and NHL playoffs, three years in a row, he was thrust into high, heavy pressure situations and handled each instance like a pro. Even his teammates have made mention of this.

Now, if we're talking Silovs as a long term starter solution, well, that's a separate conversation ... i never said he should be the long term starting solution ... I believe he's ready and capable to carry the load as back up ... has proven that ... and very well could carry a larger load if need be based on what we've seen from him.

As for the approach to a starter solution, you're not wrong. Should we get a more experienced starting solution if Demko goes down? Yes, that's the wiser solution with Silovs as back up. That's the safer, conventional path. We agree on what this season presents for Silovs and the organization. I also believe he's more capable than some people think. That previous clip is evidence. 

The part with Silovs that I feel you're missing, imo, is what has already taken place. He's already been thrown to the wolves not once but twice at the Worlds, and then again in the NHL. When it comes to being thrown to the wolves, the guy has already proven he can handle that type of high heavy pressure.

Although I agree with the self-driven hysteria comment, we differ on the "alarmist" stories ... that Dhaliwal story yesterday was a really good example of concern mongering and is certainly completely in line with his type alarmist journalism and alarmist schtick. That has an infectious ripple effect in a community like this in a way that validates the alarmism - which can be overblown and irrational - rather than acknowledging some potential cause for "possible" concern at this stage. 

Edited by Dr. Crossbar
  • Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Well, the issues need be separated here. My point about Silovs was in reference to his limited playing history and pointing out that we're not just talking about average middle of the road AHL development. We're talking high caliber hockey both Internationally with pros and the NHL playoffs. That limited history is different in a short period of time.

In both cases, Worlds and NHL playoffs, three years in a row, he was thrust into high, heavy pressure situations and handled each instance like a pro. Even his teammates have made mention of this.

Now, if we're talking Silovs as a long term starter solution, well, that's a separate conversation ... i never said he should be the long term starting solution ... I believe he's ready and capable to carry the load as back up ... has proven that ... and very well could carry a larger load if need be based on what we've seen from him.

As for the approach to a starter solution, you're not wrong. Should we get a more experienced starting solution if Demko goes down? Yes, that's the wiser solution with Silovs as back up. That's the safer, conventional path. We agree on what this season presents for Silovs and the organization. I also believe he's more capable than some people think. That previous clip is evidence. 

The part with Silovs that I feel you're missing, imo, is what has already taken place. He's already been thrown to the wolves not once but twice at the Worlds, and then again in the NHL. When it comes to being thrown to the wolves, the guy has already proven he can handle that type of high heavy pressure.

Although I agree with the self-driven hysteria comment, we differ on the "alarmist" stories ... that Dhaliwal story yesterday was a really good example of concern mongering and is certainly completely in line with his type alarmist journalism and alarmist schtick. That has an infectious ripple effect in a community like this in a way that validates the alarmism - which can be overblown and irrational - rather than acknowledging some potential cause for "possible" concern at this stage. 

Agreed but as you mention, Silovs had been thrown to the wolves yes…and that has also been in limited capacity. That is my point. 
He doesn’t have a legit frame of reference at an NHL level yet. Of course, at some point and maybe sooner than later that that will hopefully be established. The key point to all of this, and can’t be stressed enough, is that this team’s success has been realized on the back of Demko. He and his consistent, reliable level of play are very much the catalyst and backbone to this club. You’re comparing a small sample size in Silovs to a Vezina finalist who has perennially been considered among the NHL elite at his position. The difference is MAJOR and in no way should anyone place an exorbitant amount of confidence in Silovs as a proper comparable even for a fraction of Demko’s avg GP yet. It’s highly premature to imagine so. Hope is one thing, but insurance to piggyback back that hope is far more crucial.

Also agree on Dhali. Not a big fan.  
But through the conjecture there is a valid point there and unfortunately some people on this site choose to gatekeep certain topics or posts without actually providing any context towards the inherent question mark that exists. FFS it’s a chat forum, and more so a RUMOURS topic, yet some folks seem to just want to exploit their own perspective and censor subjects they don’t agree with rather than afford dialogue for others who may be interested in the topic, hypothesis, possibility, theory, etc etc. Again, it’s a chat forum. Perhaps some folks should choose not to engage if their whole intent is to discourage others. Dhali posts for click bait, we all know that. Yet half the fucking forum seems to respond to any shit thrown at the wall by any so called insiders. That’s the point of why so many come here…to talk about the club good bad or what have you. All I’m saying is I hope some people here can chill the fuck out and allow conversation like you and I are having (thank you btw) without having to satisfy their ego stroke mandate to shit on conversations they aren’t obviously interested in to begin with. 

Edited by RWJC