[Speculation] Canucks Testing Goalie Market Amid Thatcher Demko’s Injury

On 8/26/2024 at 1:47 PM, RWJC said:

Not to fear monger, but this is making the rounds:

If its his ACL he is done for the year

Ive torn my ACL and my meniscus and been through all the talks of surgery rehab complications and what no.

If its his ACL it wont heal on its own, if its a small enough tear it is manageable through rehab. If the tear is big enough and allows wiggle room in the knee space it poses complications of future meniscus tears (this is where Im at, im also not a pro athlete so this stage could happen with a smaller tear especially for a goalie), this size tear would absolutely need to be repaired and takes 5-6 months before the graft heals, this is when full rehabilitation begins to get to 100% strength again.

If it is just a meniscus tear there are 3 options. First one is to leave it and deal with the torn piece causing the knee to catch and lock up or tear even worse (this is where im at and my knee locks up and Im limping for 2-3 weeks). The second option is to repaire the meniscus if it is repairable (not all tears can be repaired due to blood flow issues). The third (menisectomy) is to cut the tear out and smooth the edges of the cut away portion, this can lead to future arthritis but has a quick healing time of 2-3 weeks and a very short rehab due to the procedure being minimally invasive and the quick heal time.

There is also the mental aspect of any of these routes. Building trust in the knee is a tough process and can take quite a while

Given that after the initial injury he skated off the ice, was out for a month and a bit was able to come back and then re-injured it and was looking to play in the third round tells me he only tore his meniscus initially then had his knee lock up.

I would say that he kept on the rehab non surgical route but had it lock up again and has decided to get a menisectomy in the last 3 weeks and the recovery of that is only a month and a bit, putting him ready for action at the beginning of the season (him being ready in the first few weeks is the current narrative)

I could see the canucks bringing in a guy who they wouldnt care about losing if he gets sent down and picked off waivers

5 minutes ago, Johnny said:

If its his ACL he is done for the year

Ive torn my ACL and my meniscus and been through all the talks of surgery rehab complications and what no.

If its his ACL it wont heal on its own, if its a small enough tear it is manageable through rehab. If the tear is big enough and allows wiggle room in the knee space it poses complications of future meniscus tears (this is where Im at, im also not a pro athlete so this stage could happen with a smaller tear especially for a goalie), this size tear would absolutely need to be repaired and takes 5-6 months before the graft heals, this is when full rehabilitation begins to get to 100% strength again.

If it is just a meniscus tear there are 3 options. First one is to leave it and deal with the torn piece causing the knee to catch and lock up or tear even worse (this is where im at and my knee locks up and Im limping for 2-3 weeks). The second option is to repaire the meniscus if it is repairable (not all tears can be repaired due to blood flow issues). The third (menisectomy) is to cut the tear out and smooth the edges of the cut away portion, this can lead to future arthritis but has a quick healing time of 2-3 weeks and a very short rehab due to the procedure being minimally invasive and the quick heal time.

There is also the mental aspect of any of these routes. Building trust in the knee is a tough process and can take quite a while

Given that after the initial injury he skated off the ice, was out for a month and a bit was able to come back and then re-injured it and was looking to play in the third round tells me he only tore his meniscus initially then had his knee lock up.

I would say that he kept on the rehab non surgical route but had it lock up again and has decided to get a menisectomy in the last 3 weeks and the recovery of that is only a month and a bit, putting him ready for action at the beginning of the season (him being ready in the first few weeks is the current narrative)

I could see the canucks bringing in a guy who they wouldnt care about losing if he gets sent down and picked off waivers

It’s not an ACL tear.

Its already been confirmed it’s not a common injury and it’s on the back of his knee.

Enough trying to play doctor people. Just wait until the team makes a statement 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Just wait until the team makes a statement 

And then be very sceptical of what they say.

Day to day becomes weeks, and sometimes week to week becomes back playing, tomorrow.

• Cheers 2

Methinks if it was serious and that there were real concerns that Demko would be out for any significant amount of time, we would have already shored up the G and made a move to bring someone in. 

wait and see approach right now, as to be expected. I’m more concerned with later in the season and Demko’s health further in.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Methinks if it was serious and that there were real concerns that Demko would be out for any significant amount of time, we would have already shored up the G and made a move to bring someone in. 

wait and see approach right now, as to be expected. I’m more concerned with later in the season and Demko’s health further in.

Well they could have quietly been in on Askarov.

Would have likely cost us Silovs, Raty, and a 1st though.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, DeNiro said:

It’s not an ACL tear.

Its already been confirmed it’s not a common injury and it’s on the back of his knee.

Enough trying to play doctor people. Just wait until the team makes a statement 

Not trying to play doctor, but state that from the timelines it doesnt seem serious. 

A meniscus tear isnt serious or career ending.

But when theres posts of people saying its serious just trying to lay it out that it hasnt had a timeline to suggest

For all we know if could be a muscle tear

• Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, Johnny said:

Not trying to play doctor, but state that from the timelines it doesnt seem serious. 

A meniscus tear isnt serious or career ending.

But when theres posts of people saying its serious just trying to lay it out that it hasnt had a timeline to suggest

For all we know if could be a muscle tear

Well Shilovs has swelling too.So there is that.Just no luck and not what we need

1 hour ago, Lemon Face said:

Well Shilovs has swelling too.So there is that.Just no luck and not what we need

From what social media is saying, is that it's a small swelling. So thankfully it's nothing major but he probably shouldn't play in that mini tournament that he was reportedly going to be a part of. Having a tournament like that before the season starts seems a risky and stupid to me. Like, really? 

• Cheers 1

I hope we can hold out for the waiver period for any addition. At quick glance, here are a few G that might end up being cut based on whom they’re competing against in respective camps:

LA

Keumper 

Rittich

Copley

WPG

Kakkonen

Comrie

BUF

Reimer

DET 

Husso

Lyon

FLA

Driedger

TOR 

Murray

CAR

Martin

NYR 

Domingue

• Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, BillfromVan said:

And will Thatcher allow/want to play early.  I hope the team is careful this time.

Who says they weren't careful? That last injury happened on a nothing play. Demkos multiple injuries just may be catching up with him 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, flat land fish said:

If there was a major issue the team would have already signed a veteran backup.  Until that happens not concerned about Demko.

Literally this. JR and PA are in win-now mode. It would have already been addressed.

That said, I would love a late-offseason lowball contract for Lankinen. 1 yr, 1 mil. Therebouts.

Just makes us that much more rock solid as a competitive team imo

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, qwijjibo said:

Who says they weren't careful? That last injury happened on a nothing play. Demkos multiple injuries just may be catching up with him 

Demko might need to make adjustments in how he play's ...he did make the full splits in the way that made my groin hurt watching on one of his plays too.   Think he probably plays a lot of games not 100% at this point in his career.   He's been getting injured since his AHL days.   

Hopefully they just keep him off the roster, until he's 100% and he's made adjustments outside of the rink to strengthen whatever he needs to stengthen, and once he's back they plan to not ride him as much.   Two seasons in a row on a 65 game pace just didn't work.    

• Like 1

13 hours ago, flat land fish said:

If there was a major issue the team would have already signed a veteran backup.  Until that happens not concerned about Demko.

They did wait until the final days before signing De-Smith.   Time left still for that.    It also sets a precedent with this brass that maybe we shouldn't worry too much. 

Edited by IBatch

9 hours ago, IBatch said:

They did wait until the final days before signing De-Smith.   Time left still for that.    It also sets a precedent with this brass that maybe we shouldn't worry too much. 

Ya lots of time, especially with a number of goalies likely to hit the waiver wire. Looks like Mgmt has a standing offer in front of Lankinen. He can take it or not. Surprised he is not taken a one year deal give he likely transitions it into a better deal next season (like DeSmith did at 3 x $1M).

1 hour ago, Bure10Kuzmenko96 said:

According to Dhali:

Demko has started skating and may be ready for training camp.

Canucks still on Lankinen. Have made an offer, but still not enough to get a deal done.

Silovs is on a plane to Vancouver to get his knee checked by Canucks doctors.

That’s what I needed to hear!

• Upvote 1

Canucks’ Thatcher Demko expected to be ready for training camp

Tyler Kuehl
Sep 3, 2024

Canucks’ Thatcher Demko expected to be ready for training camp
Credit: Jerome Miron-USA TODAY Sports

A positive sign for one of the top goaltenders in the game.

On Tuesday, Vancouver Canucks reporter Rick Dhaliwal mentioned that goaltender Thatcher Demko is back on the ice. He is currently skating and working out, and it is believed that he will be ready to go by the time training camp starts later this month. That was contrary to a report that Dhaliwal himself gave late last month.

Dhaliwal also mentioned that Arturs Silovs is heading to Vancouver from his home in Latvia to be looked at. It was reported last week that he has been dealing with knee inflammation, as he had to pull out of representing his country during Olympic qualification. Dhaliwal says Silovs’ ailment isn’t expected to be serious, and should be ready for training camp as well. Latvia still managed to punch their ticket to the 2026 men’s Winter Olympics tournament.

Both goaltenders played key roles in the Canucks’ 2023-24 season. Demko was the backbone as the Canucks won the Pacific Division title. However, he missed a handful of games near the end of the regular season, with the injury not in relation to any prior knee injuries he had suffered. Demko was hurt in the first games of the opening round of the playoffs against the Nashville Predators, and went on to miss the remainder of the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Casey DeSmith would jump in to try and save the day, but he would get hurt as well, and be put on the shelf. That opened the door for Silovs, who was masterful in helping Vancouver get to the second round, though they inevitably lost to the Edmonton Oilers in seven games. In his 10 appearances, Silovs had a 5-5-0 record, an .898 save percentage, and one shutout.

Demko has two more seasons remaining on his current contract, with an AAV of $5 million. The San Diego, California native has been with the organization since they took him in the second round of the 2014 NHL Draft. In 219 NHL appearances, Demko has a record of 116-81-17, with a 2.79 goals-against average, a .912 save percentage and eight shutouts.

• Like 1