Ian Clark stepping down as goalie coach. Will still be with organization

Demko trade, incoming.

--------------------------------------------------

Hope the new gig is something he's capable of being top 3 in that field; otherwise a big drop in his productivity/value to the club.

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

There it is. Clarke asked for a new role that transitioned him to off ice work. Dahliwal is being a turd. 

having Clarke still with the group, guiding things from the side is great. Gives the new on ice guy the chance to learn under the best, and gives us the change to make the transition in the best way possible. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

18 minutes ago, stawns said:

Yes, but not really working with the goalies anymore.

Working with goalie prospects still.

Reading between the lines it sounds like it might be health related. “Ian can no longer go on the ice regularly”.

The demands of the job are probably just too much at his age. Especially working with a workhorse like Demko.

Im sure he’ll still be there to guide the next goalie coach. And the fact that he’s staying to help find and develop the next crop of young goalies is great.

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Current goalie coach and Director of Goaltending Ian Clark asked Allvin for a new position within the club while he transitions off the ice. Clark will now work as a goalie scout and goaltending development coach.

Clark a native of Vancouver, rejoined the Canucks in 2018 after seven seasons with the Columbus Blue Jackets.

“When Ian approached me to say that he needed to make a change in his role to transition off the ice, we quickly went to work to find a solution,” said Allvin. “With Clarkie wanting something different at the hockey club, we were extremely fortunate to have Marko in the system and ready to take on the responsibility of becoming our new goaltending coach in Vancouver. Unfortunately, Ian can no longer go on the ice regularly to do the things that have made him successful. But this new role will fit with his expertise and having Clarkie going out to find and develop talent will be a big asset to the organization.”

Torenius was previously with the Canucks’ American Hockey League (AHL) affiliate the Abbotsford Canucks where he held the position of Goaltending Coach and Goaltending Development coach for two seasons.

Prior to his AHL tenure, Torenius was the Goaltending Coach for SKA St. Petersburg in the Kontinental Hockey League (KHL) from 2014-2022. During his time in the KHL, Torenius coached New York Rangers goalie Igor Shesterkin. He has also worked with Finnish NHL goalies such as Ville Husso, Mikko Koskinen and Joonas Korpisalo.

Clarke is the one that was shouting for the Canucks to take Silovs if I remember correctly.

Maybe the real value Clarke brings is finding us young stud goalies overseas and in the draft.

Like he said himself the on ice stuff he can teach in a weekend. I doubt Torenius is going to change the method at all.

• Like 1

Rick might as well work for Faux News. Or work with Sekeres and Price. 

He's been twisting things completely lately. 

He's still working with them and being a scout. The new blurb I read is he wanted a higher position. 

And he's pretty much our goalie scout anyways. 

I'm sorry my patience with Rick has worn pretty thin. He went downhill the moment he left 1130. 

• Upvote 2