Ian Clark stepping down as goalie coach. Will still be with organization

3 hours ago, Devron said:

Why’s a Demko trade incoming? 

Why isn't it? 🙂

---------------

Supposition, your honor.

Favourite, top 3 goalie coach, moves on to other gig.

Demko- may or may not be still recovering, rumours of team looking for another goalie-for depth ---or

Demko's injury history starting to pile up.

more than enough for rampant speculation.

----------------------------------

Other than the injury worries, I'm hoping Demko stays- and I'm really hoping they don't over work him- again.

• Haha 1

My bet is that he's tired of all the travelling during the season.  I don't know what his new role will

be, but he will likely be staying at home.  He's still awesome at finding goalie talent in the draft, so

that will still be part of his job.  The team is rewarding him for a job (more than) well done.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

7 hours ago, Gurn said:

Why isn't it? 🙂

---------------

Supposition, your honor.

Demko- may or may not be still recovering, rumours of team looking for another goalie-for depth ---or

Other than the injury worries, I'm hoping Demko stays- and I'm really hoping they don't over work him- again.

I don’t get it haha i don’t buy any of it but I like your new writing format 

19 hours ago, Devron said:

Why’s a Demko trade incoming? 

Could be something to this. The organization may want time to have someone familiar with the post after we have relied on Clark for so long as goalie coach. From a very hands on position as goalie coach to goalie scout is a step back and doesn't make sense. 

1 hour ago, Drakrami said:

Could be something to this. The organization may want time to have someone familiar with the post after we have relied on Clark for so long as goalie coach. From a very hands on position as goalie coach to goalie scout is a step back and doesn't make sense. 

No, Clark is in his 60’s so the one ice coaching may not be ideal for his body now. 

On the heels of word Tuesday that the team has been poking around free-agent goalies — Postmedia has confirmed the initial reports from CHEK-TV’s Rick Dhaliwal  — comes another bombshell: the Canucks’ director of goaltending Ian Clark appears set to take a step back from day-to-day coaching duties.

Dhaliwal was first to report and then the team quickly announced that Clark, who has been with the Canucks since 2018 (his second stint with the team), will no longer serve as the team’s NHL goalie coach.

Marko Torenius, who was Clark’s deputy serving in a dual role coaching the goalies in Abbotsford and also working with prospects like Ty Young, is expected to step up to the NHL Canucks and take over Clark’s duties.

Clark will now serve as goalie scout and goaltending

According to a statement from GM Patrik Allvin, the change is on Clark’s initiative.

“Unfortunately, Ian can no longer go on the ice regularly to do the things that have made him successful. But this new role will fit with his expertise, and having Clarkie going out to find and develop talent will be a big asset to the organization,” Allvin said.

The timing is curious, though. It’s August, usually coaching staff changes are announced earlier in the summer. The coaching staff is usually in the thick of planning for the season by now.

Clark recruited Torenius two years ago. The Finn had been working as goalie coach for SKA St. Petersburg, but resigned his position after Russia’s invasion of Ukraine. He had been with St. Petersburg since 2014.

He had previously coached with Sibir Novosibirisk of the KHL, and the the Espoo Blues in Finland before that.

“I was surprised by the timing, but I’ve always believed since Marko was hired that there was a plan to transition him into the NHL job, with some help from Ian. I just figured that would come in the final year of the contract (next year),” InGoal Magazine’s Kevin Woodley told Postmedia.

“Marko’s has lots of experience overseas. He’ll be fine,” Woodley added, given it now seems Torenius is suddenly making this transition solo, without the support of his former boss.

Torenius knows Arturs Silovs well from their two seasons together in Abbotsford.

Canucks president of hockey operations Jim Rutherford confirmed to Postmedia that the team is in the process of filling Torenius’ position in Abbotsford. But with the NHL season on the horizon and most other leagues across North America and around the world similarly nearing their pre-seasons, it would be curious to know how many candidates the Canucks would really be able to draw from.

Clark was hired in July 2018 to replace Dan Cloutier as the team’s goalie coach and was promoted to director of goaltending in 2021. He had previously worked with the Canucks from 2002-2010, then moved to the Columbus Blue Jackets.

22 hours ago, DeNiro said:

There were actually people here who thought Spencer Martin should be the new starter. 🤦‍♂️

Eddie Lack.  And well Schneider.   And  before that Skudra but he actually didn't have a high bar or much competition.   Mike Dipeitro.   Not sure why people get over excited about goalies, they are a fickle bunch.   Hammond played like Patrick Roy for 30 or so games and who even knows who he is.   It's also why cautious optimism should be the bar with Silov's.   It's not easy to be a regular starter in this league.   Number ones come and go.   Back-ups are a mile deep.   And often it takes time to get there (Markstrom, Tim Thomas). 

Edited by IBatch

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/21/2024 at 1:18 PM, Gurn said:

Why isn't it? 🙂

---------------

Supposition, your honor.

I think it became painfully obvious to everyone what happened with Clark when Silovs went down with an inflamed ACL.  Nobody wanted to say it but it's both Tocchet and Clark's aggressive Summer training.  The players sure, but the goalies should be doing their training differently.  They play the whole 60 mins, they can't be pushed as hard.  Clark and Tocchet need to understand that.

• Cheers 1