Ian Clark stepping down as goalie coach. Will still be with organization

Understandable from Clark's perspective.   He's almost 60yo if his online bio is correct and those on-ice development sessions must be very demanding physically.   Keeping his knowledge-base in the organization is a great move by management. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Gurn said:

Demko trade, incoming.

--------------------------------------------------

Hope the new gig is something he's capable of being top 3 in that field; otherwise a big drop in his productivity/value to the club.

Why’s a Demko trade incoming? 

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Cause people need something to speculate and panic about.

Reminds of so many times when Canucks have gotten a third string goalie and people start speculating that the starter is getting traded obviously lol

• Haha 1

Lot of changes this offseason.

My only concern is when Demko will be ready 100%. 

Can't have a slow start to the season. We all know how this team struggles to get back in the race when they do that.   Last season was amazing. Not expecting it to repeat as div champs, but certainly getting in the playoffs is the bare minimum. 

This move sort comes at an odd time and coincidence after Demko's health comes into question yesterday?

Yes Clark is getting older but I can't see age being the reason here. Still a very relatively young goalie coach. I wonder if the organization wanted to keep Torenius and also with Demko's health consistently being called into question, they wanted a new way of doing things in order to maximize Demko's health but also playing style too.

40 minutes ago, Devron said:

Reminds of so many times when Canucks have gotten a third string goalie and people start speculating that the starter is getting traded obviously lol

There were actually people here who thought Spencer Martin should be the new starter. 🤦‍♂️

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Bure10Kuzmenko96 said:

He still is

No he's not, not 1-1 on the ice anymore from the sounds of it.  My guess is that he's over seeing the new goalie coach and scouting talent

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

Understandable from Clark's perspective.   He's almost 60yo if his online bio is correct and those on-ice development sessions must be very demanding physically.   Keeping his knowledge-base in the organization is a great move by management. 

If I had to guess, I'd say he's going to be developing goalie coaches, not goalies from here on out.........creating a goaltending legacy

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Rick might as well work for Faux News. Or work with Sekeres and Price. 

He's been twisting things completely lately. 

He's still working with them and being a scout. The new blurb I read is he wanted a higher position. 

And he's pretty much our goalie scout anyways. 

I'm sorry my patience with Rick has worn pretty thin. He went downhill the moment he left 1130. 

What in his post was twisting words? Everything he posted is exactly as it is... I don't see what you're seeing.

26 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

There were actually people here who thought Spencer Martin should be the new starter. 🤦‍♂️

His Linsanity run was over the second he had to play more games than what he was accustomed to. 

• Vintage 1

25 minutes ago, Pears said:

Think About It GIF by Big Potato Games

Not really tinfoil stuff just an interesting coincidence.

With the Canucks “poking around” the goalie market and Askarov publicly saying he wants a trade. I’d be shocked if the Canucks didn’t check in on him.

Is it the worst idea to have a succession plan for Demko? His career might not span into his late 30s if injuries continue to be an issue.

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Not really tinfoil stuff just an interesting coincidence.

With the Canucks “poking around” the goalie market and Askarov publicly saying he wants a trade. I’d be shocked if the Canucks didn’t check in on him.

Is it the worst idea to have a succession plan for Demko? His career might not span into his late 30s if injuries continue to be an issue.

Not at all. As well as Arty has shown so far he's still far from being close to a Demko type, whereas Askarov at least has that potential to be a legit starter if he's willing to wait a year or two. He's not getting that opportunity in Nashville anytime soon. 

17 minutes ago, Pears said:

Not at all. As well as Arty has shown so far he's still far from being close to a Demko type, whereas Askarov at least has that potential to be a legit starter if he's willing to wait a year or two. He's not getting that opportunity in Nashville anytime soon. 

Agreed.

Theres a case to be made to have Askarov play 30 games here. Having Demko play 50-55 games would be best for the team and Demko.

And then you have a Luongo/Schneider or Markstrom/Demko situation where you can choose to trade one of them when the time comes. 

Always good to have a real succession plan. Not sure Silovs screams elite starter to me.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Agreed.

Theres a case to be made to have Askarov play 30 games here. Having Demko play 50-55 games would be best for the team and Demko.

And then you have a Luongo/Schneider or Markstrom/Demko situation where you can choose to trade one of them when the time comes. 

Always good to have a real succession plan. Not sure Silovs screams elite starter to me.

He doesn't to me either. More of a reliable backup who can fill in for a starter when needed like he's done, which would be very good value for a 6th round pick. 

7 minutes ago, Pears said:

He doesn't to me either. More of a reliable backup who can fill in for a starter when needed like he's done, which would be very good value for a 6th round pick. 

So the question comes down to cost.

I imagine Nashville wants at least similar value to the pick they spent on drafting him. So either a blue chip prospect or a 1st round pick.

Id be fine trading a 1st for him personally. I’ve been saying for awhile getting a legit goaltender to take some of the workload off Demko is crucial. Having one that could potentially replace him in the future would be even better.

17 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

So the question comes down to cost.

I imagine Nashville wants at least similar value to the pick they spent on drafting him. So either a blue chip prospect or a 1st round pick.

Id be fine trading a 1st for him personally. I’ve been saying for awhile getting a legit goaltender to take some of the workload off Demko is crucial. Having one that could potentially replace him in the future would be even better.

Exactly. Then when the time comes we could flip Demko to recoup the asset(s) used to acquire Askarov. Seems like a no brainer to me. 

I imagine he'll still be viewing tape and offering feedback. If he wants a new role with the club he has earned it. Big flat bladed skates to fill for the new guy! 

Edited by Gnarcore

I remember a couple of years back when everyone was panicking that Clark was not going to resign with this team a couple of years ago.

And now we have people panicking even though he's still with the organization.

Do you all just want to panic about anything? Is panicking a drug that I didn't know about?

• Cheers 1