[Trade] Mcgroarty to pens

ncaa gives way too much leverage for the kids.. they don't like the team that drafted them? play 3 years in the NCAA and be a free agent.. they don't want to play in Canada? play 3 years in ncaa and be free agent.. the NCAA loophole needs to be closed one day.. it's massive disadvantage for Canadian teams.. you draft a player.. they all of a sudden decides they drag things out in the NCAA pretending they'll sign.. then next thing you know you trade him pennies on the dollar or watch them walk.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, WillisD said:

I wanted mcgroarty for the nucks. Seemed like a player they could use. Glad we stayed away. I'm starting to really dislike ncaa players for picks

Quinn Hughes, Brock Boeser, Dakota Joshua, Teddy Blueger, Ian Cole, Phil Di Giuseppe, Carson Soucy, Cole McWard, Akito Hirose and Thatcher Demko are all NCAA players. What is it about NCAA players that you dislike?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

ncaa gives way too much leverage for the kids.. they don't like the team that drafted them? play 3 years in the NCAA and be a free agent.. they don't want to play in Canada? play 3 years in ncaa and be free agent.. the NCAA loophole needs to be closed one day.. it's massive disadvantage for Canadian teams.. you draft a player.. they all of a sudden decides they drag things out in the NCAA pretending they'll sign.. then next thing you know you trade him pennies on the dollar or watch them walk.

Yip. I suspect some changes coming up in the next CBA. Prospects are just too important. 

53 minutes ago, WillisD said:

I wanted mcgroarty for the nucks. Seemed like a player they could use. Glad we stayed away. I'm starting to really dislike ncaa players for picks

Boeser, Hughes, and Demko have been fine.

43 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Quinn Hughes, Brock Boeser, Dakota Joshua, Teddy Blueger, Ian Cole, Phil Di Giuseppe, Carson Soucy, Cole McWard, Akito Hirose and Thatcher Demko are all NCAA players. What is it about NCAA players that you dislike?

coz if they don't see a clear path to the NHL they'll refuse to sign? if QH wasn't the caliber player he was and he's not guaranteed playing time with the big club.. he may or may not have signed in vancouver just like a lot of these NCAA players? just like if we were loaded on wingers and there's like 0 chance boeser would have gotten a top 6 winger role and the only role he might have gotten is a 4th line winger role.. do you think he would be dying to sign with the team?

8 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

coz if they don't see a clear path to the NHL they'll refuse to sign? if QH wasn't the caliber player he was and he's not guaranteed playing time with the big club.. he may or may not have signed in vancouver just like a lot of these NCAA players? just like if we were loaded on wingers and there's like 0 chance boeser would have gotten a top 6 winger role and the only role he might have gotten is a 4th line winger role.. do you think he would be dying to sign with the team?

Demko had Markstrom in front of him and forced his way into the conversation for a starting job 

• ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Demko had Markstrom in front of him and forced his way into the conversation for a starting job 

not really.. first off he's a goalie.. even if he was to finish off his ncaa years he's prolly still no where near nhl ready. 2nd demko signed in 2016.. the canucks goaltending situation is a mess.. markstrom was not a clear starter and there's no one else in the organization in terms of prospect to compete with.. his path to the nhl was pretty clear.. do well in the AHL and bank on the team to give him a chance over a 30+ year old markstrom when his contract is due

3 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

not really.. first off he's a goalie.. even if he was to finish off his ncaa years he's prolly still no where near nhl ready. 2nd demko signed in 2016.. the canucks goaltending situation is a mess.. markstrom was not a clear starter and there's no one else in the organization in terms of prospect to compete with.. his path to the nhl was pretty clear.. do well in the AHL and bank on the team to give him a chance over a 30+ year old markstrom when his contract is due

At the end of the day, if a player is good enough to force themself into the lineup, they'll do it.  If they aren't, they're not worth the high pick regardless of where they're from.

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

I don't think we can isolate this problem to just NCAA players or Canadian teams, there are other examples of players doing this recently that don't fit those categories. 

In fact, Vancouver had a similar situation last season with Hunter Brzustewicz reportedly not willing to sign with Van. Hunter is playing in the OHL, not the NCAA, and it turns out his problem was not the fact that he was drafted to a Canadian team but with the opportunity for playing time with said team. He already signed his entry level with Calgary. 

Last season we also had the Cutter Gauthier situation with Philly. This time it was an NCAA player but not a Canadian team. The story with Cutter turns out to be a bit like what we are hearing from McGroarty. It's less about the city and more about the development program the team has. I'm certainly not saying this is a good reason or one I like but that is what is being reported. 

I am with you on the topic of prospects being entitled to the point where they think they can decide where they will play rather than taking the opportunity many others don't get; to play for an NHL franchise. Where I disagree is that this is an NCAA problem or a Canadian problem. 

Edited by Highstickin
typo
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Highstickin said:

I don't think we can isolate this problem to just NCAA players or Canadian teams, there are other examples of players doing this recently that don't fit those categories. 

In fact, Vancouver had a similar situation last season with Hunter Brzustewicz reportedly not willing to sign with Van. Hunter is playing in the OHL, not the NCAA, and it turns out his problem was not the fact that he was drafted to a Canadian team but with the opportunity for playing time with said team. He already signed his entry level with Calgary. 

Last season we also had the Cutter Gauthier situation with Philly. This time it was an NCAA player but not a Canadian team. The story with Cutter turns out to be a bit like what we are hearing from McGroarty. It's less about the city and more about the development program the team has. I'm certainly not saying this is a good reason or one I like but that is what is being reported. 

I am with you on the topic of prospects being entitled to the point where they think they can decide where they will play rather than taking the opportunity many others don't get; to play for an NHL franchise. Where I disagree is that this is an NCAA problem or a Canadian problem. 

I think the current system is pretty fair; prospects are losing out on a good chunk of money if they force their way to UFA status.  You need some kind of mechanism to avoid being stuck somewhere like Edmonton when the GM has a known history of allowing coaches to rape young players.

20 minutes ago, Highstickin said:

difference with the hunter brz situation is if he refuse to sign his elc.. he would have to re-enter the draft so his situation might not change vs a NCAA player they would be aged out of the re-draft and can just sign with any team any situation they want. hunter would also have to risk not getting re-drafted and then not getting paid having to look for an AHL team to attach to himself.

I played with Jim (Rutger's dad) in beer league and pickup when he was playing for the Fresno Falcons in the WCHL back in the day. When the Falcons were not in-season, Jim would play in the now defunct beach roller hockey league and on occasion in my beer league to stay fresh. He is a solid dude and is GM of Muskegon in the USHL, but no clue about Rutger or his personality. To me playing in the PEG would be like someone playing in Green Bay for their pro career which, if you have ever been does not offer much besides cheese and sausages lol. Cannot say I blame the kid for wanting out.