[Trade] Mcgroarty to pens

5 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

It's a shame that it came to this in the first place, it's a privilege to be drafted at all, NHL needs to do something about this loophole

There's definitely valid reasons a player could refuse to report.  Look at Quebec where the owner reportedly was saying inappropriate things in French in front of Lindros' mother.  I'd like to have the draft age moved up to 20, but that would be way too difficult to successfully implement barring a long labour disruption.

18 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

There's definitely valid reasons a player could refuse to report.  Look at Quebec where the owner reportedly was saying inappropriate things in French in front of Lindros' mother.  I'd like to have the draft age moved up to 20, but that would be way too difficult to successfully implement barring a long labour disruption.

Perhaps, but forcing your way out because you feel entitled to NHL minutes or because you don't like the fact you were drafted by x organization is pretty shit. This just screams of some entitled American kid not wanting to play in Winnipeg, wanting to force them to give him NHL minutes, or wanting to push his way out of Winnipeg in general. it's a bummer to see Canadian teams being burned by this, because he is a very good prospect. Yeah, he used the leverage he had, but perhaps he shouldn't have had that leverage to begin with. 

He was drafted by a good NHL team in Winnipeg, them being good and not spoon feeding him top six minutes without his having to prove himself at the NHL level shouldn't enable him to force his way out. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Perhaps, but forcing your way out because you feel entitled to NHL minutes or because you don't like the fact you were drafted by x organization is pretty shit. This just screams of some entitled American kid not wanting to play in Winnipeg, wanting to force them to give him NHL minutes, or wanting to push his way out of Winnipeg in general

Source? I only ask because I have seen nothing about his reasons for not wanting to play in Winnipeg. This generation of upcoming players IS an entitled bunch. They've been told since they could understand that they are special, that they're better, that they deserve whatever they want and that nobody's the boss of them. They played competitive hockey, which requires substantial sums of money and a 365 day commitment, and they have excelled on the ice. Of course they want to dictate when, where and how long they want to play. Why wouldn't they?

• Huggy Bear 1

3 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Perhaps, but forcing your way out because you feel entitled to NHL minutes or because you don't like the fact you were drafted by x organization is pretty shit.

What if he was drafted by Edmonton and had a sex offender like Bowman as a GM?  It's not automatically the player's fault.

1 hour ago, Curmudgeon said:

Source? I only ask because I have seen nothing about his reasons for not wanting to play in Winnipeg. This generation of upcoming players IS an entitled bunch. They've been told since they could understand that they are special, that they're better, that they deserve whatever they want and that nobody's the boss of them. They played competitive hockey, which requires substantial sums of money and a 365 day commitment, and they have excelled on the ice. Of course they want to dictate when, where and how long they want to play. Why wouldn't they?

Supposedly he didn't want to play AHL hockey, I understand why but it's another thing to dictate that you won't.

Supposedly be was committed to the Uni of Michigan this coming season as a Jet but sure was quick to sign an ELC as a Penguin, that's pretty telling. Pens likely sold him on NHL time.

As for not wanting Winnipeg, that's speculation on my part but most prospects aren't going to be dumb enough to just come out and say it. He didn't actually give his reasons at all weirdly enough, to anyone.

It's speculated that he wasn't thrilled with how the Jets have approached the development path of other prospects.

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/winnipeg-jets/players/jets-prospect-rutger-mcgroarty-rumoured-to-be-unhappy-with-organization

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

What if he was drafted by Edmonton and had a sex offender like Bowman as a GM?  It's not automatically the player's fault.

Well, he wasn't, he was drafted by a Jets franchise that's done a pretty good job staying competitive.

Edited by Coconuts

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Well, he wasn't, he was drafted by a Jets franchise that's done a pretty good job staying competitive.

That's fair, I just think that anything that prevented something like this would also prevent guys who really need to get out, such as anyone drafted by Edmonton.

7 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

Quinn Hughes, Brock Boeser, Dakota Joshua, Teddy Blueger, Ian Cole, Phil Di Giuseppe, Carson Soucy, Cole McWard, Akito Hirose and Thatcher Demko are all NCAA players. What is it about NCAA players that you dislike?

The ones like Adam Fox who refuse to sign and end up being traded for pennies on the dollar. I thought that was clear. 

6 hours ago, Coconuts said:

It's a shame that it came to this in the first place, it's a privilege to be drafted at all, NHL needs to do something about this loophole

I can’t imagine pens leaders like Crosby thinking sick kid you forced your way out without even giving it a chance real professional 

like in the back of their heads they may question his character especially in comp to themselves 

• ThereItIs 2

27 minutes ago, R3aL said:

I can’t imagine pens leaders like Crosby thinking sick kid you forced your way out without even giving it a chance real professional 

like in the back of their heads they may question his character especially in comp to themselves 

Meanwhile teams are more scared of Russians not signing while NCAA kids are much more of a risk to not sign.  

• ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Pears said:

Meanwhile teams are more scared of Russians not signing while NCAA kids are much more of a risk to not sign.  

NCAA kids are most certainly choosing their own destiny more than any other development league.

I get it, but I also think its a bad, ungrateful look.

Kid shoulda said in his pre draft interview. Jets, I dislike Canada and I hate the idea of living in Winnipeg dont waste your teams assets on me im a twat.

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1