[PTO] Canucks Sign F Sammy Blais to NHL PTO and AHL Contract

This is exactly the type of player we need for our 4th line!!! Upgrade over PDG/Aman.... better fit for sure than Podz.... you can never get enough of size and toughness to rotate with when facing bigger & tougher teams!! If Blais can stay healthy, he's gonna do the dirty job that Joshua no longer feels pressured to!!! 

27 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

This is exactly the type of player we need for our 4th line!!! Upgrade over PDG/Aman.... better fit for sure than Podz.... you can never get enough of size and toughness to rotate with when facing bigger & tougher teams!! If Blais can stay healthy, he's gonna do the dirty job that Joshua no longer feels pressured to!!! 

Blais-Aman/Suter-Sherwood could be a lot of fun. Decent responsible C with two wrecking balls. 

• Like 3

I guess expectations have to be tempered but he was a damn effective player at one point.

I like this move, I love this roll of the dice. If he can come in & rediscover his game... it would be awesome to have another wrecking ball alongside Sherwood.

Feels like we are so close now, mentally I'm getting back into hockey mode & can't ready for training camp to start. Bring it on. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

14 hours ago, Trebreh said:

does he kill penalties? if so, he would be a nice upgrade on PDG physically on the 4th line.

I looked and PK isn't something Blais has been used for thus far in his NHL career.

I like this

I hope he can rediscover his game from the St Louis days because he could be a force for us as 12/13 forward.

Hoglander - Miller - Boeser

Debrusk - Petey - Sprong

Joshua - Blueger - Garland

Heinen - Suter - Sherwood

Blais

Aman

PDG --> AHL via waivers or trade

Bains

Karlsson

Raty

Lek

Samson

Been a while since we started camp with so much quality depth

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

23 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Great signing for Abby.  He will be protection for the young prospects.

He's not much of a protector though.  He's only had 3 fights in the NHL and 1 in his junior hocky career.  He's more likely to cause opponents to want to fight than he is to suppress them.  But that's fine with me.  Energy players like him are better suited for 4th line roles in the NHL now, vesus players who are just good fighters.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

He’s an upgrade over Aman and pdg 

He seems like the kinda guy that plays a Toc Style. 
solid 4th liner but a winger…. 

I’d still like to see better Center depth after miller and Pete it’s a cliff To the third guy. (Hence why they rented  lindholm last year). 
need to find the next malhotra a face-off monster that’s great Defensively. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Combover said:

He’s an upgrade over Aman and pdg 

He seems like the kinda guy that plays a Toc Style. 
solid 4th liner but a winger…. 

I’d still like to see better Center depth after miller and Pete it’s a cliff To the third guy. (Hence why they rented  lindholm last year). 
need to find the next malhotra a face-off monster that’s great Defensively. 

I thought they wanted Lindy to help out Petey's game.  The 3rd line does fine with Blueger;

can't be spending Lindy $ on the 3rd line.

Raty is 53% on f/o and can play well at both ends of the ice.  With Malhotra coaching him,

he may end up as a very similar player.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

If Blais has a really strong camp and forces our hand, would anyone package Höglander for a top 4 RD? I'm only really suggesting this because Blais probably fits Tocchet's system better than Höglander. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Pears said:

If Blais has a really strong camp and forces our hand, would anyone package Höglander for a top 4 RD? I'm only really suggesting this because Blais probably fits Tocchet's system better than Höglander. 

It's going to have to be Garland, otherwise we won't have the cap space.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cripplereh said:

Way I see it he can stay in Abby till needed and work with the younger guys.

I think that was the premise. Abby had a very young average F group and Blais can bring some vet leadership and steadiness to that while also being a viable call up 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bob Long said:

It's going to have to be Garland, otherwise we won't have the cap space.

Not necessarily. We could send Åman and PDG down and find a way to get rid of Poolman's contract to free cap space up that way. 

• Like 1