[PTO] Canucks Sign F Sammy Blais to NHL PTO and AHL Contract

3 minutes ago, Western Red said:

If he's healthy, I think he's one of the 2 best bottom 6 we have. I really have liked watching his play.

Sammy!!

Agreed. I think if utilized properly, this guy will actually shock the shit out of some and put a few pucks in the net too....the FO has built a very capable bottom 6, full of tenacity and solid 2-way players

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Love this signing.   This is what a fourth liner should (and used to be the norm) should look like.   Hope he's ready to play and comes into camp in great shape.   Tochett is going to love this guy.  As long as he's able to play, way better option then Aman or Podz.  Or Linus Karlsson.   

• Cheers 2

"Unrestricted free agent forward Jujhar Khaira was on Vancouver’s radar for the PTO slot that went to Sammy Blais earlier this week, report Thomas Drance and Rick Dhaliwal of The Athletic (subscription link). The 30-year-old is a veteran of 337 career NHL games but only one of those came last season as he spent most of the season with AHL Iowa where he had 18 points in 22 games.  Drance and Dhaliwal add that the Canucks have not shown interest in Nick Cousins or Milan Lucic who are also looking for a new place to play for the upcoming season."

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com

• Upvote 2
  • ThereItIs 1

On 8/23/2024 at 7:40 PM, Combover said:

He’s an upgrade over Aman and pdg 

He seems like the kinda guy that plays a Toc Style. 
solid 4th liner but a winger…. 

I’d still like to see better Center depth after miller and Pete it’s a cliff To the third guy. (Hence why they rented  lindholm last year). 
need to find the next malhotra a face-off monster that’s great Defensively. 

Yep.  Or even Brandon Sutter minus the injuries.     That and a top four D away from taking the league by storm next season. 

3 hours ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

Agreed. I think if utilized properly, this guy will actually shock the shit out of some and put a few pucks in the net too....the FO has built a very capable bottom 6, full of tenacity and solid 2-way players

Finally a group that gets it.   Can't just add Beagle and expect the rest to "fall into place".   One of a few Canucks during the JB era who was always the first man into things after a whistle/scrum.    Sherwood, DeBrusk, Heinen, Forbot and Desharnais are all active shit disturbers.    PDG, Bluegar, Joshua aren't too shabby either.   How refreshing.   This teams gained a lot of swagger.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 3

5 hours ago, IBatch said:

This teams gained a lot of swagger.   

Time will tell if that's true. Goaltending now is an issue, maybe. Especially if Demko isn't ready to start the season. Šilovs while admirable in the playoffs last year, I don't think he's ready to take the #1 mantle of being a number one tender in the league. That might be rushing him, and we know what rushing players does to their confidence if they can't swim. 

4 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Time will tell if that's true. Goaltending now is an issue, maybe. Especially if Demko isn't ready to start the season. Šilovs while admirable in the playoffs last year, I don't think he's ready to take the #1 mantle of being a number one tender in the league. That might be rushing him, and we know what rushing players does to their confidence if they can't swim. 

The teams always said Demko will be ready for the start of the season. 

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

The teams always said Demko will be ready for the start of the season. 

With Demko as your starter you have to really have three quality goaltenders as he is likely going to be out for some part of any given season. It is just part of good management.

They need to be prepared for him to not be ready at any time.

• Upvote 2
  • ThereItIs 1

9 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

With Demko as your starter you have to really have three quality goaltenders as he is likely going to be out for some part of any given season. It is just part of good management.

They need to be prepared for him to not be ready at any time.

This. Need contingency in the event Silovs also suffers an injury or even fatigue. Patera has some experience but I would hope mgmt secures one more NHL viable option as insurance 

Can Phil Kessel play net?

Edited by RWJC

7 hours ago, RWJC said:

This. Need contingency in the event Silovs also suffers an injury or even fatigue. Patera has some experience but I would hope mgmt secures one more NHL viable option as insurance 

Can Phil Kessel play net?

Lankinen, Rantaa and Martin Jones still UFA. Maybe Rantaa or Jones could sign for league minimum?

On 8/22/2024 at 10:16 AM, Coconuts said:

Solid depth guy, rooting for him, didn't seem the same after Subban hurt him

Subban kicked his skate.

aka Subban is a Piece of Shit!

Acting all innocent...

Fuck off Pee.  Kay?

14 hours ago, Bonkers said:

Lankinen, Rantaa and Martin Jones still UFA. Maybe Rantaa or Jones could sign for league minimum?

Apparently Jones has responded to media and informed he’s now retired. 

I really hope we can bring in either of the other two on a lesser deal. Lankinen was holding out for 2mil and pundits seem to think he’ll get close but if we can snag either for around 1-1.5 mill that’d be great. Really don’t know how long we might need them on the main roster for, but when Demko returns would rather see Silovs stick with the parent club. He deserves more NHL seasoning, he’s already good with that AHL spice rub. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1