[Report] Canucks interested in G Kevin Lankinen

27 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

We’ll see.

Some of the best goalie coaches were never good goalies.

I hired one of his best friends years ago.

He talked really highly of Justin. Good character guy that loves the game. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Bure10Kuzmenko96 said:

lmfao I was fucking joking when I said that! What a terrible hire

? was Ian clark a great goalie / was his son ? Justin payed at a very high level for a while... what is border doing now? what about Roy? Luongo? - not golly coaches... but Sanford, Raycroft, Billington ???

• Cheers 1

52 minutes ago, Bure10Kuzmenko96 said:

He worked for Columbus. Terrible goalies there well that whole organization is garbage

Maybe they didn’t draft very well?

Goalie coaches can’t turn average prospects into superstars.

• Cheers 2

18 hours ago, RWJC said:

No point in sending Silovs down.

if anything he needs NHL reps and this will be a great opportunity for that, and also for discovery to determine his viability as a potential starter as early as next year, Demko depending. 

All we need to do is bring in a vet G to share the load with Silovs until Demko returns, then send the vet to minors or waive. Patera is a great AHL option for us. He needs reps too though. All we really require for now is a veteran presence to stabilize the back end until it’s sussed out what Demko can and can’t do going forward.

We need to encourage development in Silovs, not stagnate him in the A when he has a great chance to learn with the big club and play meaningful hockey that will also enable his career (not to mention earnings). Shelter him with a vet and you will have an excellent asset in G for years to come. 

The point would be if we need another goaltender to share the load. A guy like Lankinen probably doesn't sign with us if the plan is to bury him in the AHL or release him as soon as he helps us out.

Who else would you target that we can treat like that? A quick look and all I see is Francouz and Raanta still out there. I don't mind them tbh but Raanta also has major health issues ... not sure what Francouz's status is.

Other than addressing the goalie position I don't think anyone is interested in just sending Silovs down but I would gather the season success and Demko health is far more important than Silovs 2023-24 development plan.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Bonkers said:

I think everyone agree with that. But to free up 5 mil for a puck moving d-man, I'd rather have that. And I think Hogs can develop, Garland is already at his peak. The question is how much would it cost to resign Hogs on, let's say a 3 year contract?

Yeah, that would be great if we could just free up 5 mil for a puck moving d-man. Too bad other teams are unlikely to make it just that easy given they'd have to take on that cap. And sure, Garland's a good player, but that cap hit is going to cost something. Most teams can't even do that trade because they won't have the cap space.

Sorry, but it makes me laugh when people treat things as if our team is entitled to anything and we can just do whatever trade we want willy nilly. I'm sure a lot of people would agree in wanting that cap space, but I have a really hard time thinking it would be that easy.

Meanwhile, we know what we have with Garland and don't really know what we have with Hogs, which is something else we need to consider in all of this.

Edited by The Lock
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

The point would be if we need another goaltender to share the load. A guy like Lankinen probably doesn't sign with us if the plan is to bury him in the AHL or release him as soon as he helps us out.

Who else would you target that we can treat like that? A quick look and all I see is Francouz and Raanta still out there. I don't mind them tbh but Raanta also has major health issues ... not sure what Francouz's status is.

Other than addressing the goalie position I don't think anyone is interested in just sending Silovs down but I would gather the season success and Demko health is far more important than Silovs 2023-24 development plan.

The other options will come out of training camp cuts and roster moves I think. Some teams have a surplus of G and aside from AHL designations and/or loans to other clubs, there’s potential for some legit waiver options or G requiring no more than late round draft pick trades to be available. Other than that, if nothing else materializes prior to, I can actually see us starting the season with Silovs and Patera on the big club and Patera being sent back to Abby by late October and Demko retuning around that time (if not sooner). Doesn’t hurt to split the season starts between Silovs and Patera imho and give Tolopilo a chance to start in Abby. We’re going to see a lot of deployment changes with F lines especially in the first few months to see what clicks best and when, so I imagine mgmt will be ok with that bleeding into the crease as well. Experimentation across the board. Quite a lot of roster turnover again this offseason and that necessitates analysis. The positive is that the type of players we brought in all lend well to RT coaching systems, so I also imagine that the transition and consistency will come much sooner than the average. Also expect Heinen to be a great addition and be very well received. 

I’d love to see another vet presence on the backend but think mgmt shouldn’t invest too much into that as Demko will eventually return and with that will shuffle the entire org depth. Would love to see Tolopilo get quality mins in Abby. I’m pretty high on his potential.

But totally agree about any hesitation an available G might have in signing with us. That said, perhaps those in the biz (players/agents) poke around and know a little bit more about Demko’s situation and it may warrant consideration should there be any ongoing concerns about his future health. To answer your question, I think Raanta might be someone who just wants another opportunity to play and with a deep team in front of him (and Silovs being rather inexperienced at NHL level still) could be intrigued. Lankinen too but I wouldn’t want mgmt to pay too much for either. 

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 2

23 minutes ago, RWJC said:

The other options will come out of training camp cuts and roster moves I think. Some teams have a surplus of G and aside from AHL designations and/or loans to other clubs, there’s potential for some legit waiver options or G requiring no more than late round draft pick trades to be available. Other than that, if nothing else materializes prior to, I can actually see us starting the season with Silovs and Patera on the big club and Patera being sent back to Abby by late October and Demko retuning around that time (if not sooner). Doesn’t hurt to split the season starts between Silovs and Patera imho and give Tolopilo a chance to start in Abby. We’re going to see a lot of deployment changes with F lines especially in the first few months to see what clicks best and when, so I imagine mgmt will be ok with that bleeding into the crease as well. Experimentation across the board. Quite a lot of roster turnover again this offseason and that necessitates analysis. The positive is that the type of players we brought in all lend well to RT coaching systems, so I also imagine that the transition and consistency will come much sooner than the average. Also expect Heinen to be a great addition and be very well received. 

I’d love to see another vet presence on the backend but think mgmt shouldn’t invest too much into that as Demko will eventually return and with that will shuffle the entire org depth. Would love to see Tolopilo get quality mins in Abby. I’m pretty high on his potential.

But totally agree about any hesitation an available G might have in signing with us. That said, perhaps those in the biz (players/agents) poke around and know a little bit more about Demko’s situation and it may warrant consideration should there be any ongoing concerns about his future health. To answer your question, I think Raanta might be someone who just wants another opportunity to play and with a deep team in front of him (and Silovs being rather inexperienced at NHL level still) could be intrigued. Lankinen too but I wouldn’t want mgmt to pay too much for either. 

Very nicely explained. Yeah that makes sense I wasn't thinking about pre-season stuff shaking loose. That's definitely a possible option. Makes sense what @Hammertime mentioned too in that a move would likely have been made already if Demko is out for a prolonged period.

While I do agree with everything I do find NHL management is usually more concerned about plugging holes like this with more solid options than we as fans seem to be, but I do appreciate not over-reacting and throwing away a bunch of assets either.

I would also accept Raanta as I've always thought he plays well. As you say there will be a lot of experimentation and analysis so maybe they will be more flexible. I think Patera would also be capable of playing decently in our system as long as we don't overload him like Martin two year ago. Although I personally think Martin sucks. 😆 I also really like the players we've brought in. All of Heinen, Sherwood, and DeBrusk, plus Desharnais, and I always thought Forbort was a super steady and tough defender.

• Cheers 2

With Demko still needing more time, this is exactly how other goalies get opportunities and emerge. Especially when you have a star in the making in Silovs. When you look at his trajectory to date, what he's a achieved internationally and the NHL playoffs, giving him the reigns while Demko is out is the next, natural organic step. Especially after what he did and proved in the playoffs. He's not an AHL caliber goalie. Talent wise, this isn't a Martin/Delia type goalie. 

Getting a solid, experienced backup for Silovs makes the most sense. 

Sending Silovs to the AHL would, imo, would weaken the team this year. He's young, hungry, on the rise, and poised organically to take more of the load. What better of an opportunity than this right here and right now to seize upon that. The last thing I want to see is two washed-up former starters in net who we know will be 50/50 at best each night to keep us in games. Especially when we have a young goalie in Silovs ready to take the next step after what he accomplished in the playoffs. Silovs is the better option. Get a solid, experienced back up for Silovs and we shouldn't take too much of a drop while Demko is out.

It's also what Silvos needs at this stage in his development and that rising, upward momentum should be capitalized. 

• Cheers 3

6 hours ago, Bure10Kuzmenko96 said:

He worked for Columbus. Terrible goalies there well that whole organization is garbage

He spent one season as a consultant for the blue jackets...not even their goalie coach. The one season that their forwards and D were a tire fire so that makes him a terrible goal tending coach?

Industry is pretty high on him considering team canada picked him to be a goalie coach the last 2 years for their U and IIHF teams.

He's going to the AHL, not NHL. 

Calling him a terrible goal tending coach even though he's never been a goaltending coach before is quite a stupid conclusion to make

You could claim he's inexperienced sure but what does experience have to do with Ian Clark's and Mitch Korns careers?

• Cheers 1

On 8/26/2024 at 2:49 PM, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

Hogs disappeared in the playoffs 

garland didn’t 

Garland is 5 years older- and last year's play offs were his 2nd time. in his first play off experience, he got  2 points in 8 games

Hoglander got 2 points in 11 games, his first time.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Gurn said:

Garland is 5 years older- and last year's play offs were his 2nd time. in his first play off experience, he got  2 points in 8 games

Hoglander got 2 points in 11 games, his first time.

Ok…

But maybe hogs never rises up in the playoffs ever… 

It’s still a risk…

• Sad 1
  • Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Coconuts said:

So.. any word as to whether Kevin Lankinen is interested in us? 

I don't think it happens. Allvin seems to be operating as if Demko's going to be ready for the start of the regular season. 

17 hours ago, DeNiro said:

We’ll see.

Some of the best goalie coaches were never good goalies.

This is a good point. I'd also like to add (though not my idea) that 'bad' hockey players surprisingly can be good coaches, whereas a talented Gretzky could not coach to save his life.

37 minutes ago, PureQuickness said:

This is a good point. I'd also like to add (though not my idea) that 'bad' hockey players surprisingly can be good coaches, whereas a talented Gretzky could not coach to save his life.

there's no correlation between good players and good coaching. Like you've pointed out with Gretzky, just because he was a great player, doesn't mean he had the talent to coach well. He was just, a great player. 

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I don't think it happens. Allvin seems to be operating as if Demko's going to be ready for the start of the regular season. 

@RWJC One thing I forgot to mention with out last conversation is that while going with a cheap or vet backup it doesn't provide coverage if Demko goes down again, like a Lankinen would while sending Silovs down. Would keep us way more flexible. So there is a significant element of risk there.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 1

20 hours ago, Coconuts said:

So.. any word as to whether Kevin Lankinen is interested in us? 

Haha this. I’m always interested in attractive females but question is whether they’re interested in me Loool

• Haha 1