[Report] Canucks interested in G Kevin Lankinen

8 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

there's no correlation between good players and good coaching. Like you've pointed out with Gretzky, just because he was a great player, doesn't mean he had the talent to coach well. He was just, a great player. 

True, Gretzky was gifted, he didn't need to do a script, he would read the positioning and opportunity and make room for himself and his linemates, and that is something you can't coach, (and why he wasn't the type of coach as the player he was)

He was like a skilled chess player while making a move, he'd  set you up to make a move he meant for you to take, before you even thought of going there and did it

12 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

@RWJC One thing I forgot to mention with out last conversation is that while going with a cheap or vet backup it doesn't provide coverage if Demko goes down again, like a Lankinen would while sending Silovs down. Would keep us way more flexible. So there is a significant element of risk there.

Totally agree, but I think that’s a bridge you cross when you get to it. Mgmt has to see how Demko fares and if he shows signs that any injury may impact his future, then you spend the assets to pursue something greater at that time. Until then, to get a good quality netminder will likely cost too much in assets that this club has likely earmarked for other deals during the season or deadline. Apparently the 4th received for Podz is a forgone conclusion as an eventual trade piece this season.

Imho, the G position has bailed out this team year after year on so many occasions. I think it’s time the F and D groups take the reins while we’re weakened a bit on the back end. We have the personnel for it, and Silovs has proven he can compete well at the NHL level thus far, so we really should continue to run with him in the interim and give him more runway way to see what he can prove. Really there’s not much of a choice unless mgmt brings in a vet, but with both Patera and Tolopilo as the expected tandem in Abby, we do have G in the system that need their reps if they’re going to grow. Personally I’m on with us bringing in a stop gap G, and waiting until waivers to pluck one, that doesn’t cost us anything in assets and also doesn’t displace any of our other talent.

Just have to wait and see where Demko is at and hope that he recovers in short order. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, RWJC said:

Totally agree, but I think that’s a bridge you cross when you get to it. Mgmt has to see how Demko fares and if he shows signs that any injury may impact his future, then you spend the assets to pursue something greater at that time. Until then, to get a good quality netminder will likely cost too much in assets that this club has likely earmarked for other deals during the season or deadline. Apparently the 4th received for Podz is a forgone conclusion as an eventual trade piece this season.

Imho, the G position has bailed out this team year after year on so many occasions. I think it’s time the F and D groups take the reins while we’re weakened a bit on the back end. We have the personnel for it, and Silovs has proven he can compete well at the NHL level thus far, so we really should continue to run with him in the interim and give him more runway way to see what he can prove. Really there’s not much of a choice unless mgmt brings in a vet, but with both Patera and Tolopilo as the expected tandem in Abby, we do have G in the system that need their reps if they’re going to grow. Personally I’m on with us bringing in a stop gap G, and waiting until waivers to pluck one, that doesn’t cost us anything in assets and also doesn’t displace any of our other talent.

Just have to wait and see where Demko is at and hope that he recovers in short order. 

Yep, Vegas did the exact same thing with a Cup to show for it, although they did trade a fourth for Hill in the summer of 2022 after their starter was ruled out for the upcoming season. I don't know/think this management group will leave too much to chance but we will have to see how it plays out closer to camp. For all we know Dhaliwal is completely out to lunch and Demko is 100% healthy, or on the other hand he just had MCL surgery .... 

Lankinen would cost zero assets right now though. The other consideration is I think we expected our goalies/backchecking and strong systems to bail out a questionable defence last year, not the other way around. We're in a similar boat this season. Good ole September speculation. 🧐 🤣

To be honest I'm not strongly behind one path or another. To close to call in my opinion, although I don't share your view that Silovs needs to be in the NHL this year. He's still very young for a goaltender imo.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 1

On 8/27/2024 at 7:14 PM, The Lock said:

Yeah, that would be great if we could just free up 5 mil for a puck moving d-man. Too bad other teams are unlikely to make it just that easy given they'd have to take on that cap. And sure, Garland's a good player, but that cap hit is going to cost something. Most teams can't even do that trade because they won't have the cap space.

Sorry, but it makes me laugh when people treat things as if our team is entitled to anything and we can just do whatever trade we want willy nilly. I'm sure a lot of people would agree in wanting that cap space, but I have a really hard time thinking it would be that easy.

Meanwhile, we know what we have with Garland and don't really know what we have with Hogs, which is something else we need to consider in all of this.

We moved out Mikheyev contract, and that cost us. All I'm saying is that the market value for Garland should be higher than Miks, but maybe that's laughable :):)

8 hours ago, Bonkers said:

We moved out Mikheyev contract, and that cost us. All I'm saying is that the market value for Garland should be higher than Miks, but maybe that's laughable :):)

Yeah, and Lafferty was likely the main target the Blackhawks had in that trade. So who goes with Garland? Hogs? lol

Either way, right now we don't really have to trade either player so we can wait and see how the season plays out.

On 8/26/2024 at 7:23 PM, RWJC said:

Fair point, but as long as Demko is out (if at all) and we have someone to assist in balancing out starts there is no reason to demote Silovs to the minors. He was our G during the toughest part of the season and he kept us in games and played quite well. He’s got a lot of promise. Only way he’s going to improve authentically is to be competing against NHL level competition. I think the only way we send him down is if he hits a slump and needs to regain his mojo. Otherwise, he’s earned his right to make a case as our primary backup.

Very fair. It all depends on how serious the demko injury is.

and the Silovs knee issue is concerning too now 

14 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Silovs knee issue is concerning too now 

heard that it's mild, so just needs some rest and he should be good to go for training camp. but what a year this is going to be with all the drama in net. lol. the rest of the roster (minus the defense) is decent, good even, but the weakest part I think is the dfense and goal. I hope that I'm wrong. 

• Cheers 1

It's was such a shame to see Demko injured last year after he was overplayed by RT for no reason right into January in absolutely meaningless games like Chicago and others when we were way ahead of the game, when Tock-it should have given him a few more breaks along the way like he said he would when the season started.    Hopefully RT learned something last year about sticking to "the game plan"!

On 8/29/2024 at 12:43 PM, The Lock said:

Yeah, and Lafferty was likely the main target the Blackhawks had in that trade. So who goes with Garland? Hogs? lol

Either way, right now we don't really have to trade either player so we can wait and see how the season plays out.

I'm pretty sure trading away a fellow "home boy" is an action of "last resort" for PA unless it involves trading for another swede. So, Hogs will likely stay put for awhile.   By the end of this coming years draft deadline, I think that will be the time to keep your eyes open for an "Angry Elf" (Garland) or "Sloth" (BB6) trade.  They are likely the only two most tradeable players with any real skill. The rest of the roster is mainly made up of "Plugs & Plumbers" except for our few star players like Miller, Hughes and 11-6, etc...

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Training camp is one week away, and the Vancouver Canucks still have yet to resolve their issues in goal. As it stands, Canucks star goaltender and last year’s Vezina runner-up Thatcher Demko’s status for the regular season remains in question. It’s not just Demko but also last season’s standout playoff performer, Arturs Silovs, is battling knee inflammation, which held him out of the Team Latvia men’s hockey Olympic team qualifying tournament.

This leaves recently signed Jiri Patera and Nikita Tolopilo as the projected one-two punch heading into the season.
With the starters crease for opening night of the season in question, it has long been speculated that the Canucks management group has shown interest in unrestricted free agent goaltender Kevin Lanknien. While he still remains unsigned, Chek TV’s Rick Dhaliwal confirms that the club is still interested in the goaltender:

“The Canucks pursuit of Lankinen has not stopped. They’ve held talks with his agent this week, there just hasn’t been progress,” said Dhaliwal. “So the Canucks made Lankinen an offer – it’s believed to be under one million dollars – the Canucks could sign Lankinen in 10 seconds, all they got to do is put Tucker Poolman on LTIR to get the deal done, they don’t want to do it. They want to do the Poolman LTIR thing at the trade deadline so they have space there.”
Vancouver has $190,833 of remaining cap space heading into the 2024/25 season. If the Canucks placed Poolman on LTIR, this would relieve $2.5 million off their books, clearing much-needed cap space to sign an insurance goaltender.
“There is no doubt in my mind Lankinen is their number one choice,” Dhaliwal continued. “So all UFA players have got to make a choice here in the next seven days, training camps are starting. I think the Canucks are trying to wait Lankinen out [to] see if he takes their offer closer to camp.”

Dhaliwal goes on to comment that if a deal isn’t worked out with Lankinen, the team could bring in another free agent goaltender on a professional tryout contract (PTO) for training camp. The top remaining unsigned goaltenders are BC native Martin Jones and Antti Raanta, who’s previously been on the Canucks radar for a PTO contract.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

I read He won’t come on a PTO he wants a contract 

Nucks brass want him on a PTO 

once they figure out if silvos can go and what the true extent of demko issues are and will be 

really no point signing a guy to anything more than a PTO at this point 

One story had demkos  injury deemed inoperable so he’ll have to learn to play with it 

a reduced work load would go a long way 

silovs injury has been said to be very minor 

To me sounds like demko and silovs can split the duties no need to waste cap.

doesn’t seem like teams are lining up to sign lankinen 

and it’s possible they got there eye on someone else that’ll be cut and require waivers once camps start. 

I’m Glad they are waiting.
no panic impulse  shopping like the last guy we had. 

At this stage of FA this seems like the perfect scenario for Lankinen. Good team with a number 1 goalie that’s still hurt and likely to get a lesser load of the games when he eventually returns. Then the current backup Silovs who looked good in the playoffs but statistically hasn’t been as good as he was for that stretch before and is also dealing with an injury.

27 minutes ago, Combover said:

I read He won’t come on a PTO he wants a contract 

Nucks brass want him on a PTO 

once they figure out if silvos can go and what the true extent of demko issues are and will be 

really no point signing a guy to anything more than a PTO at this point 

One story had demkos  injury deemed inoperable so he’ll have to learn to play with it 

a reduced work load would go a long way 

silovs injury has been said to be very minor 

To me sounds like demko and silovs can split the duties no need to waste cap.

doesn’t seem like teams are lining up to sign lankinen 

and it’s possible they got there eye on someone else that’ll be cut and require waivers once camps start. 

I’m Glad they are waiting.
no panic impulse  shopping like the last guy we had. 

I actually heard that the Canucks offered him a one year contract but he wanted two.

At this point he’d be smart to settle for a 1 year show me deal.

• Cheers 1

47 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I actually heard that the Canucks offered him a one year contract but he wanted two.

Lankinen definitely doesn't seem like he's got leverage in these negotiations especially with camp just around the corner. 

59 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Yea I wonder what he's holding out for. I'm not sure if he has other offers and what other team's goaltending situation is at, but if I were Lankinen, he might have a better chance to stick around as a 1A/1B with Silovs if Demko can't stay healthy throughout the season. Obviously we don't want that to be the case. Plus it's more likely Silovs gets sent down since he's still waiver exempted.

Report: Canucks Finally Make Full One-Year Offer To Kevin Lankinen

With all the talk linking free agent goaltender Kevin Lankinen to the Vancouver Canucks over the past few weeks, it's still not certain that he will take the bait. He already turned down a PTO (professional tryout offer) from Vancouver, but now the Canucks have raised the stakes, offering a full one-year standard player's contract.

But it appears that's still not good enough, as the Lankinen camp calls the offer, which is said to be south of $1 million, too low.

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2024/09/report-canucks-finally-make-full-one.html

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Oh I didn’t hear that I saw they offered a PTO 

no way I’d give him 2years . 
F this guy and his agent 
have fun in Europe 

time to move on and find someone else or just wait and see who goes on waivers over the next two/three weeks. 

IMG_4584.thumb.jpeg.20cd0ef5dde3020006a076e52e3dc199.jpeg

Agent giving him bad advice with a stats sheet like this

Edited by Combover