[Report] Canucks interested in G Kevin Lankinen

4 minutes ago, EastCoastExpress said:

I didnt like Aman for the first half, but started to notice him winning in the face-off alot in the second. I think he is actually going to get better. In alot of ways i think he is a better centre than Suter... and cheaper!

And I just noticed him being soft in the corners and pushed off the puck super easily.

• ThereItIs 3

36 minutes ago, J-23 said:

I hope not, we need to accrue cap space this season for the trade deadline.

We are only $190k off the cap limit, so if we have to add a goalie (might get Lankinen at $1.5m) then we won't be accruing any cap space even if we send PDG to the AHL for example. 

Even without adding a goalie, we are only going to accrue 186/37 x $190k = $955k by the TDL 2025

11 minutes ago, EastCoastExpress said:

I think Devron was just pointing out that moving a couple low paid guys does nothing for cap space.

I mean, we just moved Podz $1,000,000 two year contract and it gave us what?

Now, If Canucks KNOW Demko is going to be on IR for a few months, moving Poolman contract for an NHL level goalie is the best

if they can keep under the cap without using LTIR they actually can accrue Demko's $5Mill cap space (5m/82 games times however many games he is out)

Half right.

Moving Poolman's contract would definitely allow us to be under the cap limit even if we added a goalie for say $1.5m.

However, you can't accrue cap space for Demko's cap hit even when he's on LTIR, because you are below the $88m cap limit.

How it would work is that you'd trade Poolman (presumably costing you a significant sweetener) and cap space shifts to $2.69m.

Then you'd sign Lankinen (for example) for say $1.5m. Cap space is now at $1.19m.

Demko is injured, but since you're not at the cap limit then you don't put him onto LTIR. You can accrue the daily cap hit on the $1.19m space though.

Once Demko is healthy you presumably send Silovs down to the AHL. His cap hit brings your cap space to $2.04m and this is also accrued daily from whenever that happens.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BigTramFan said:

We are only $190k off the cap limit, so if we have to add a goalie (might get Lankinen at $1.5m) then we won't be accruing any cap space even if we send PDG to the AHL for example. 

Even without adding a goalie, we are only going to accrue 186/37 x $190k = $955k by the TDL 2025

If we dont add a goalie, the whole point is we accrue that $190K plus Poolmans 2.5M plus anyone else off the DAILY roster (example, Demko's 5M)

what is this? 186/37 x $190k = $955k by the TDL 2025

We accrue anyone's cap per DAY plus the 190K who is not on the game day roster. Poolman will not be on any game day roster, so any cap accumilation should at least include Poolman.

Never mind all the other player who will miss games up to the TDL.  I know you Canucks fans are young and have never seen us be under the cap without LTIR....

I just have NO IDEA what you mean with 186/37 as some kind of calculation about accruing Cap? Please explain

Edited by EastCoastExpress

10 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

Half right.

Moving Poolman's contract would definitely allow us to be under the cap limit even if we added a goalie for say $1.5m.

However, you can't accrue cap space for Demko's cap hit even when he's on LTIR, because you are below the $88m cap limit.

How it would work is that you'd trade Poolman (presumably costing you a significant sweetener) and cap space shifts to $2.69m.

Then you'd sign Lankinen (for example) for say $1.5m. Cap space is now at $1.19m.

Demko is injured, but since you're not at the cap limit then you don't put him onto LTIR. You can accrue the daily cap hit on the $1.19m space though.

Once Demko is healthy you presumably send Silovs down to the AHL. His cap hit brings your cap space to $2.04m and this is also accrued daily from whenever that happens.

I think we need a CAPOLOGY course here...

I never said put Demko on LTIR because that would cancel accruing cap!

You can accrue the daily cap on any player not in the Roster who is counted in that "88Million Pool"

If Demko is not on game day roster (any reason, IR or not dressed for game) you accrue his Cap.

Last year there was at least 3-5 players most of the season that were not dressed, however, because we were using LTIR thier amounts were not usable.

They put Demko retro in LTIR only because we already were in LTIR with Poolman.

If Demko is not good to go,we need to move on.Ian Clarke is stepping down after bringing him up need Ian in the organization to Improve goaltending,honestly the least worse of our needs but let the drama unfold

If Demko cant start, I would love to see Solovs and Topopilo fight for the first pole position. Since we are under the cap, Demko's daily cap hit adds to the kitty along with Poolman's. Since We are NOT USING LTIR people, anyone including Soucy missing 5 or 20 games ADDS TO THE ACCRUED CAP SPACE

Just using Caps to try to help a few people understand why we are not spending Poolmans LTIR on a simple 2.5 million dollar player.

6 hours ago, EastCoastExpress said:

You can accrue the daily cap on any player not in the Roster who is counted in that "88Million Pool"

If Demko is not on game day roster (any reason, IR or not dressed for game) you accrue his Cap.

Last year there was at least 3-5 players most of the season that were not dressed, however, because we were using LTIR thier amounts were not usable.

Yes you need to do some reading and educate yourself on cap issues, because you clearly have no idea. Most of what you said in the above post is BS.

If we dont add a goalie, the whole point is we accrue that $190K plus Poolmans 2.5M plus anyone else off the DAILY roster (example, Demko's 5M)

We accrue anyone's cap per DAY plus the 190K who is not on the game day roster. Poolman will not be on any game day roster, so any cap accumilation should at least include Poolman.

Never mind all the other player who will miss games up to the TDL.  I know you Canucks fans are young and have never seen us be under the cap without LTIR....

I just have NO IDEA what you mean with 186/37 as some kind of calculation about accruing Cap? Please explain

Since you asked nicely happy to explain.

186 days in the whole season. And 37 days left in the season at the TDL.

Slight error in my accrual formula from above, as the accrued space would actually be $190k x (186-37)/37 = $765k.

If we manage to keep the equivalent of $190k cap space throughout the season, then we will have accrued enough to be able to take on another $765k in cap hit.

You can also calculate it like this which is the long way round but is probably a better way to show how it works:

Each day of the season we are $190k/186 days = $1021.50 under the daily cap limit

If we accrue that $1021.50 over the first 149 days of the season (i.e. until the TDL) then we have accrued 149 x $1021.50 = $152,204

Once we hit the TDL we can utilise that accrued cap space over the remaining 37 days, so we can now pay up to $152,204 / 37 = $4113.63 more per day

This is equivalent to $4113.63 x 186 days = $765k.

Daily cap hit is counted for all players on the roster, whether the player is playing or not.

For example, if Demko is injured and on IR (not LTIR), and let's say the full 23-man roster including Demko has a total cap hit of $87.8m then we are accruing cap space on the $0.2m only. We do not accrue any cap space for the players that are on IR (like Demko's $5m) or those players who are listed on the roster but not playing (such as a 13th forward or 7th Dman).

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, CaptainCanuck12 said:

And I just noticed him being soft in the corners and pushed off the puck super easily.

He get's pushed around pretty easily, but he's always quick up on his feet. He is still taking steps, hopefully another step this season. If he adds 10 pounds he would be much more effective. I hope he had a good summer.

my guess is that IF these rumors are true, about Demko, then his injury status is worse than anyone expected. Hence why we would be looking for someone who is closer to being  a number 1 for at least a couple of months. 

Looking at puckmedia... there ain't much out there. 

We might just have to roll the dice with Silovs, but I think Alviin will move something around and procure us a mid-aged vet. Have faith. 

8 hours ago, Cromeslab said:

If Demko is not good to go,we need to move on.Ian Clarke is stepping down after bringing him up need Ian in the organization to Improve goaltending,honestly the least worse of our needs but let the drama unfold

Clarke is still in the organization

10 hours ago, EastCoastExpress said:

Aha, that sounds simple enough, not. Now I know why it took so long to negotiate the last CBA.

11 hours ago, EastCoastExpress said:

Your error is that you don’t accrue cap space for players that are hurt and not on the daily roster, and you can’t accrue LTIR.

If Poolman, Demko, or any other player is hurt, their cap still counts towards the daily cap hit even if they aren’t playing.  

The only way to “remove” their cap hit is to put them on LTIR, and that still doesn’t allow space to be accrued because they aren’t really being removed, we are just allowed to exceed the cap by the amount their salary would take us over the cap.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 2

I wonder if Demko is hurt to the extent we can leverage his LTIR at trade deadline. I would NOT want that for him as it could mean that the injury may affect playoffs, but that is an intriguing prospect.