[Report] Canucks interested in G Kevin Lankinen

15 hours ago, spook007 said:

I get your point, and you may be right, but if Hogs is scoring for fun, and we are at the races, I don't think, they'll waste the opportunity for future assets...

But only time will tell... 😊

I'd rather trade Garland and keep Hogs. He'd be cheaper even if takes another step forward this season?

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

so not every team have a true #1 so they decide to not go and find one in the off season that cost them 0 asset but would rather wait for the season to start and trade asset for a backup's backup? when he's guaranteed to be put on waivers if they want to keep silovs up?

Easy, just send Silovs down when Demko returns ... if he returns.

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, The Duke said:

Dreams about accruing space aside, we likely have the LTIR space to land this guy if needed, no?  

Particularly true if Demko is indeed out long term like some are already assuming.

Considering how decisive Allvin usually is, his decision here will be telling.  We weren’t in on Askarov at all and right now he’s treating Lankinen as a nice piece to have as a safety blanket.  Others have speculated Lankinen would want a certain number of games if he’s signing a “show me” with the club. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if Demko returning by opening night / a week or two into the season was the info he’s operating on as well.  Of course, you can doom and gloom that he won’t hit that timeline, but as it sits Allvin is moving as though that’s the current sitrep.

I would agree; one would think Allvin would have made a move to address the issue IF they thought that Demko would be out a considerable amount of time to start the season. My guess is they realize Demko might be sidelined for camp, and are looking for bodies to fill the gap in Training camp and maybe to start the season. 

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, PureQuickness said:

*when

Yeah, when ... 🤞

You're a little more optimistic than myself but I am hoping for the best as well. At this point I now have huge question marks. He can't stay healthy and all the secrecy is very concerning. I don't think he can play anymore than 45-50 games, even if he was 100% healthy. It's a shame.

We still don't really know what's wrong do we, if had a surgery/procedure, or what the injury was, or is?

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Easy, just send Silovs down when Demko returns ... if he returns.

that's what i said will happen not sure how happy silovs would be though.. his chance of being a nhl backup this season is ruined coz of demko.. he would have been the starter prolly ahead of lankinen but when demko is back he's going to the AHL behind lankinen.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

that's what i said will happen not sure how happy silovs would be though.. his chance of being a nhl backup this season is ruined coz of demko.. he would have been the starter prolly ahead of lankinen but when demko is back he's going to the AHL behind lankinen.

While Demko is out, Silovs and Lankinen sharing NHL duties is a good way to start the season. Silovs could easily get 10 NHL games that way. Coudl be more if Demko is out for more than 20 games. Silovs shouldn't be unhappy with that.

Once Demko is healthy then makes sense to send Silovs down since he's waiver exempt. The positive is that he would then get more game time in the AHL. Also nothing stopping us from bringing Silovs up to play some more home games in the NHL throughout the rest of the season.

Overall Silovs could end up starting 15-20 NHL games, which is nothing to get upset about. Lankinen starting 25-30 games and Demko hopefully starting around 40-45 and feeling fresh for the playoffs!

• Cheers 1

@PureQuickness

I'm not really "happy" to send Silovs down either but it's probably the most logical thing to do if we need to address a more lengthy Demko absence.

It might even be good for his development to play more and have some more time in the AHL. He was not a shoe in for the backup job this season as I believe they thought about a more veteran player but ultimately decided on going Silovs. He may still get a fair amount of games in this scenario.

55 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

It would likely be a pretty open competition for the starter position and even a 50/50 split of starts.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Huggy Bear 1

No point in sending Silovs down.

if anything he needs NHL reps and this will be a great opportunity for that, and also for discovery to determine his viability as a potential starter as early as next year, Demko depending. 

All we need to do is bring in a vet G to share the load with Silovs until Demko returns, then send the vet to minors or waive. Patera is a great AHL option for us. He needs reps too though. All we really require for now is a veteran presence to stabilize the back end until it’s sussed out what Demko can and can’t do going forward.

We need to encourage development in Silovs, not stagnate him in the A when he has a great chance to learn with the big club and play meaningful hockey that will also enable his career (not to mention earnings). Shelter him with a vet and you will have an excellent asset in G for years to come. 

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 1

Silovs would come out strong the first 15-20 games no problem. It’s whether he has the ability to keep playing games at a high level for a longer stretch of time (40-50 games that is the question. I think if this is not just smoke by the media then management will bring in a backup goalie for Silovs and run with it, until when Demko returns. If this is just smoke and Demko is starting game 1, then we will all be happy.

Silovs should be able to handle the load until Demko returns. The kid has a stellar history already of stepping into high caliber, high pressure situations and excelling. He didn't fluke the Worlds and then fluke/get lucky in the playoffs. 

I like the idea of starting Silovs with Lankinen as back up, and then letting that evolve. That should be a good, stable duo until Demko returns. 

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Bonkers said:

I'd rather trade Garland and keep Hogs. He'd be cheaper even if takes another step forward this season?

Depends on what we can get for each. Like sure, strictly from our perspective, Garland costs more, but that's also what's likely to make him harder to trade. Cap space is value in itself and comes at a price.

Edited by The Lock
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, RWJC said:

No point in sending Silovs down.

if anything he needs NHL reps and this will be a great opportunity for that, and also for discovery to determine his viability as a potential starter as early as next year, Demko depending. 

All we need to do is bring in a vet G to share the load with Silovs until Demko returns, then send the vet to minors or waive. Patera is a great AHL option for us. He needs reps too though. All we really require for now is a veteran presence to stabilize the back end until it’s sussed out what Demko can and can’t do going forward.

We need to encourage development in Silovs, not stagnate him in the A when he has a great chance to learn with the big club and play meaningful hockey that will also enable his career (not to mention earnings). Shelter him with a vet and you will have an excellent asset in G for years to come. 

I mean if Demos health has any ? and this is Silovs last waiver year where we can have extra coverage in net would it not make sense to cover our buts best we can? If possible. Seeing as Silovs can be in abby and called up and sent down easily.

22 minutes ago, R3aL said:

I mean if Demos health has any ? and this is Silovs last waiver year where we can have extra coverage in net would it not make sense to cover our buts best we can? If possible. Seeing as Silovs can be in abby and called up and sent down easily.

Fair point, but as long as Demko is out (if at all) and we have someone to assist in balancing out starts there is no reason to demote Silovs to the minors. He was our G during the toughest part of the season and he kept us in games and played quite well. He’s got a lot of promise. Only way he’s going to improve authentically is to be competing against NHL level competition. I think the only way we send him down is if he hits a slump and needs to regain his mojo. Otherwise, he’s earned his right to make a case as our primary backup.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Fair point, but as long as Demko is out (if at all) and we have someone to assist in balancing out starts there is no reason to demote Silovs to the minors. He was our G during the toughest part of the season and he kept us in games and played quite well. He’s got a lot of promise. Only way he’s going to improve authentically is to be competing against NHL level competition. I think the only way we send him down is if he hits a slump and needs to regain his mojo. Otherwise, he’s earned his right to make a case as our primary backup.

Agree. 

De Smith if he would have taken a 2 year deal for a bit more would have been perfect. Realistically a 2 year deal on a solid backup would make sense to ease Silovs/Tolopilo in. IMO Lankonen or? Would have been done by now if MGMT had any sense Demko would be out more than 10 games to start the season. 

Ideal Scenario Silovs takes he first 5-10 starts around .500. Demko returns and Silovs takes another 20 starts this year and faires well. But if it goes badly and he gets shelled like Martin/Delia, having failed to act will be looked upon poorly with hindsight. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Read an article about Canucks' contract crunch, being near to the 50 max and risking not being able to sign all of our prospects, in time. 

Is that a reason for not bringing in a backup yet, as much as uncertainty with Demko's health?

16 hours ago, The Duke said:

Dreams about accruing space aside, we likely have the LTIR space to land this guy if needed, no?  

Particularly true if Demko is indeed out long term like some are already assuming.

Considering how decisive Allvin usually is, his decision here will be telling.  We weren’t in on Askarov at all and right now he’s treating Lankinen as a nice piece to have as a safety blanket.  Others have speculated Lankinen would want a certain number of games if he’s signing a “show me” with the club. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if Demko returning by opening night / a week or two into the season was the info he’s operating on as well.  Of course, you can doom and gloom that he won’t hit that timeline, but as it sits Allvin is moving as though that’s the current sitrep.

Could you imagine if he rushes back, and gets a few games in, only to reaggravate the injury and is out for the entire season? 

Goodness. At that point, next season when he's healthy, either one of two things happens. Either management has an advantage in terms of negotiations, or Demko is eventually traded, OR, he walks right into free agency. I can't see the third option, if Benning were here, that could very well happen, but Allvin and Rutherford doesn't seem to let their assets just walk out the door. I can see them getting something for Demko, but he would be known around the league as injury riddled. 

Has he ever had a season where he hasn't been injured? 

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

Hogs disappeared in the playoffs 

garland didn’t 

I think everyone agree with that. But to free up 5 mil for a puck moving d-man, I'd rather have that. And I think Hogs can develop, Garland is already at his peak. The question is how much would it cost to resign Hogs on, let's say a 3 year contract?

I’m just assuming they’re comfortable with where Demko is at but are preparing some sort of mitigation plan if he has a setback or he’s not ready. Long season, no reason to not make sure he really is 100%. They are just being responsible and considerate to his injury history. 

I also feel media are sensationalizing it a little like they do with everything. It’s their job. 

Get Lankinen in on a PTO/1 year deal or they pick up a goalie from waivers if Demko isn’t ready. Silovs is ready for the backup spot. He’s earned the chance. 

• Cheers 1