AHL to mandate cut resistant neck wear for all players and officials

No reason for players not to wear them. Technology has come a long way that they could wear an ANSI A9 cut around their neck and it would feel like a shirt. They could do the same with socks and wrist sleeves. I work for a PPE manufacturer lol.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

great idea. I suppose in the NHL we'll see this grandfathered like visors, but it's an easy win to do this. 

3 minutes ago, Jess said:

Makes sense to grandfather this in like we've seen with visors. Will be a win for all.

I'm hoping they just make everyone wear em, visors and vision was a bigger change imo, it's so easy to wear a protective option under your jersey nowadays 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

I'm hoping they just make everyone wear em, visors and vision was a bigger change imo, it's so easy to wear a protective option under your jersey nowadays 

I can see players feeling like the neck guard is intrusive though. Look at how Luongo didn't like the goalie neck guards.

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

its basically a cravat 😄 let the guys style them up. 

15 minutes ago, Jess said:

I can see players feeling like the neck guard is intrusive though. Look at how Luongo didn't like the goalie neck guards.

Maybe, and maybe the NHLPA fights it, but it's a dumb battle to fight

It's not only protecting the investment of franchises, it's protecting the investment of the players

12 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

its basically a cravat 😄 let the guys style them up. 

For real tho

Just now, Coconuts said:

It's not only protecting the investment of franchises, it's protecting the investment of the players

For real tho

Advertising space? Hahaha. Would be so backwards for the NHLPA to fight it, but I guess if that would be what the players want. Given the history of hesitance to adopt safety measures, I expect a grandfathering. At least we're at almost everyone with visors now.

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Agreed on both counts.  The PA executive should take into consideration the membership's opinions on the matter, but at the end of the day, it boils down to a player safety issue, and a bit of inconvenience in exchange for a potentially life-saving piece of equipment will be shown to be more than a fair trade after all's said and done.

2 minutes ago, Jess said:

Advertising space? Hahaha. Would be so backwards for the NHLPA to fight it, but I guess if that would be what the players want. Given the history of hesitance to adopt safety measures, I expect a grandfathering. At least we're at almost everyone with visors now.

Even the most hardened detractors for neck protection will crumble once they have the misfortune of getting up close and personal with such an accident on someone without neck protection.  I just hope that it won't take many of these kinds of incidents to convert the masses. 💀

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Jess said:

Grandfathering wouldn't surprise me but I'd be disappointed

With visors it was a significant change regarding how players literally saw the game, but if anything they were probably overdue

Neck protection is even more of a no brainer, guess we'll see

56 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Agreed on both counts.  The PA executive should take into consideration the membership's opinions on the matter, but at the end of the day, it boils down to a player safety issue, and a bit of inconvenience in exchange for a potentially life-saving piece of equipment will be shown to be more than a fair trade after all's said and done.

Even the most hardened detractors for neck protection will crumble once they have the misfortune of getting up close and personal with such an accident on someone without neck protection.  I just hope that it won't take many of these kinds of incidents to convert the masses. 💀

Gotta think it'd be easier to adjust to than a visor too, it's literally just another bit to wear as part of their equipment 

Protecting the players should be top priority for the NHL and NHLPA

• Upvote 1