[Trade] Askarov to SJS

12 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Glad they didn't, San Jose would be much more tolerable as a wagon than Chicago, even with them being in our own division 

yes but I dont like the prospect of playing them 4x a year in a few years time.. they still have like what another 2 1st rounder next year in a deep draft even after the trade? + they will have more rentals to move out or take on cap dump? if Grier doesn't f it up.. San Jose might be contending in 5 years for a while.

18 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

yes but I dont like the prospect of playing them 4x a year in a few years time.. they still have like what another 2 1st rounder next year in a deep draft even after the trade? + they will have more rentals to move out or take on cap dump? if Grier doesn't f it up.. San Jose might be contending in 5 years for a while.

Eh, odds are their rise would line up with the latter part of our window anyway

Vegas and LA could be taking steps back sooner than later too, Vegas ain't getting any younger and neither Kopitar or Doughty will play forever so how LA handles that remains to be seen

Anaheim and San Jose should be wagons at some point

Edited by Coconuts
  • ThereItIs 1

It's a great move for both sides realistically. A true hockey trade for a change but I don't get why everybody thinks Askerov is a game changer. He has a lot to prove but will get a great opportunity and time to do so in SJ. Might take a few years but they are shaping up to be pretty good team in the future.

Edited by Sneakystink

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Vegas and LA could be taking steps back sooner than later too, Vegas ain't getting any younger and neither Kopitar or Doughty will play forever so how LA handles that remains to be seen

This. I’d much rather us be in the throes of potential cup runs rather than wallowing in the basement of the league for 5-6 years hoping it eventually proves worthwhile.
We may end up there after this window closes but at least we opened the window to its fullest while we had it.

1 hour ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

Nashville has been a goddamn goaltender gold-mine since they entered the league.

Vokoun, Rinne, now Saros 

Also don’t forget they traded for and developed Ingram utahs starter and that kid looks like a stud 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, RWJC said:

This. I’d much rather us be in the throes of potential cup runs rather than wallowing in the basement of the league for 5-6 years hoping it eventually proves worthwhile.
We may end up there after this window closes but at least we opened the window to its fullest while we had it.

Our top players are in their prime and our prospect pool lacks blue chip prospects after Willander, Lekkerimaki, and maybe Raty, seems management wants to get and get a cup while Hughes and Pettersson are in their primes

Sooner or later our lack of blue chip youth will catch up with us if we don't add more, but that's gonna happen regardless of what other divisional teams do

Just gotta try and enjoy the ride 

• Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Sharks back end needs some major additions and a couple high picks added in to get them there but I completely agree with your take 

2 minutes ago, TheRocket18 said:

What kind of crappy draft condition is that... SJ is going to blow goats... extremely high pick to NASH.

Sounds like nash guaranteed a top 10 draft pick in return.

Or... it's the 420.

It’s the 420. They traded Vegas’s pick. If it happens to be top 10 then they have an option to trade their own. I doubt Vegas finishes in the bottom 10 and misses the playoffs. 

36 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

San Jose maybe Anaheim? Do they even know what they are doing.. haven’t they been rebuilding for like 8+ years

24 minutes ago, Captain insano said:

Sharks back end needs some major additions and a couple high picks added in to get them there but I completely agree with your take 

Don’t sleep on Dickinson he’s gonna likely be the #1 defenseman on the wj team

• Cheers 3

13 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

San Jose maybe Anaheim? Do they even know what they are doing.. haven’t they been rebuilding for like 8+ years

Seems that way, but gotta think that top end talent lifts them up sooner or later, they have an embrassment of riches as far as young, high end talent goes

• ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

Don’t sleep on Dickinson he’s gonna likely be the #1 defenseman on the wj team

Not sleeping on him but after him it’s nothing more than b prospects ….. mukhamadullin or however his name is spelt could eventually play into a top 4 role but he has a lot of questionmarks around his game and then. There is thrun another guy with lots of question marks, I mean we made our back end work with just Quinn drafted but Dickinson ain’t no Quinn, just feel sjs should be hyper focused on adding 2-3 more high end d prospects and imo they become a scary team in 2-3 years 

6 minutes ago, Captain insano said:

Not sleeping on him but after him it’s nothing more than b prospects ….. mukhamadullin or however his name is spelt could eventually play into a top 4 role but he has a lot of questionmarks around his game and then. There is thrun another guy with lots of question marks, I mean we made our back end work with just Quinn drafted but Dickinson ain’t no Quinn, just feel sjs should be hyper focused on adding 2-3 more high end d prospects and imo they become a scary team in 2-3 years 

that's already better than a lot of rebuilding team, plus they have lots of ammo and cap space to swing on any teams defenceman should they be made available. sabres are kinda loaded on 1 side so they do have options if and when they ready