[Trade] Askarov to SJS

1 hour ago, German Canuck said:

That hurts. A division rival is getting an elite goalie

Realistically Edmonton and us will need to win soon with SJS and ANA in the early stages of soon to be power houses unless they fumble the bay like the kings lol

19 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

San Jose now need to start working on getting defence and they could be competitive in a couple years.. with Celebrini smith eklund zetterlund.. that's a very good forward to build around and they have their starting goalie in askarov forward wise they are really not all that bad and actually way better than hawks with bedard.. Chicago should have jumped all over the deal.

San Jose is going to own us in a couple of years. But since when did they not own the Canucks? Same with the Kings. Those California teams just always own us whenever we play them. 

4 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

San Jose is going to own us in a couple of years. But since when did they not own the Canucks? Same with the Kings. Those California teams just always own us whenever we play them. 

That’s because they were big heavy teams that we didn’t match up against.

The new Sharks won’t be big and mean they’ll be a skilled team.

I’m not too worried about them. They’re still a long ways from being relevant if everything goes right. A few good prospects don’t make a team.

10 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

i dunno our records vs san jose overall is actually not too bad.. the record took a beating during the benning era.. but outside of that we have a good record against the sharks

during the benning era we are something like 15-18 against the sharks but overall we are still 72-68-9

4 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

i dunno our records vs san jose overall is actually not too bad.. the record took a beating during the benning era.. but outside of that we have a good record against the sharks

during the benning era we are something like 15-18 against the sharks but overall we are still 72-68-9

that's a crazy stat. thanks for providing it. 

I didn't realize that the Canucks did as well as the record reveals. kind of feels like they did worse against the sharks. 

15 hours ago, DeNiro said:

That’s because they were big heavy teams that we didn’t match up against.

The new Sharks won’t be big and mean they’ll be a skilled team.

I’m not too worried about them. They’re still a long ways from being relevant if everything goes right. A few good prospects don’t make a team.

yeah, that's true that those Sharks teams with Big Joe Thorton were big physical teams. The Canucks never really did well against them, it seemed. I'm a little worried about the Canucks. I thought this would be a pretty good season with the team seemingly healthy - until the Demko news broke out. Now it kind of feels like a hammer just dropped on the team. 

On 8/23/2024 at 5:13 PM, R3aL said:

Realistically Edmonton and us will need to win soon with SJS and ANA in the early stages of soon to be power houses unless they fumble the bay like the kings lol

I guess teams building are never a guarantee. SJ with all of their picks that they're acquiring - takes more than just a talented group to win in the league (though the talent does help). I remember the Grizzlies when they were in Vancouver, and they had a decent collection of talent, but never learned how to win. I think that probably can apply to SJ and Anaheim too. Just because you got talent, doesn't automatically mean you'll win. I mean, look at Columbus for crying out loud. 

• Cheers 1

18 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I guess teams building are never a guarantee. SJ with all of their picks that they're acquiring - takes more than just a talented group to win in the league (though the talent does help). I remember the Grizzlies when they were in Vancouver, and they had a decent collection of talent, but never learned how to win. I think that probably can apply to SJ and Anaheim too. Just because you got talent, doesn't automatically mean you'll win. I mean, look at Columbus for crying out loud. 

100%it takes full organizational alignment.

And after drafting and development you have to build around the core and layer in different players / ages / roles etc.

LA had the building blocks and a pretty perfect transition set up from Quick / Kopitar / Doughty.. messed up multiple moves in a row.

Anaheim and SJS are really interesting to me.

Because they have drafted / accumulated all the building blocks and raw assets required to build a contender now.

It will be interesting to see how they build a winning culture and mature their young talent with the right group / environment around them. I think both Anaheim and SJS could have better years then Calgary though this year which would be pretty funny. Honestly even Chicago too. But it will be interesting these teams are all early stage on the come up (except calgary)