gritty tough guys

smithers joe

We don’t even know Blais will make the team.

As far as the others go, I like Joshua with Garland and Blueger on the 3rd line.

Sherwood would be on my 4th line and I’m not sure about Heinen.

Edited by Snoop Hogg

i would have joshua with miller and boeser; sherwood with pettersson and debrusk; heinen with suter and garland; and blais with blueger and sprong/hoglander. i think blais makes the team, he is a tocchet type player. my quess.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

I don't see Blais on the team at all.  More likely we see PDG.  At least s a call up option. Hopefully Bains can add an agitator element to his game and make the team as a Burrows style player (think when Burr and Kes first made the team not First line Burrows).  

Heinen Miller boeser

Debrusk petey hogs

Joshua blue Garly

Bains Suter Sherwood

Aman (PDG or Karlsson if injuries)  

And Suter as the Swiss army knife moving up to change chemistry.  Then Aman steps in and Bains watches.  

Or something like that.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kettlevalley said:

I don't see Blais on the team at all.  More likely we see PDG.  At least s a call up option. Hopefully Bains can add an agitator element to his game and make the team as a Burrows style player (think when Burr and Kes first made the team not First line Burrows).  

Heinen Miller boeser

Debrusk petey hogs

Joshua blue Garly

Bains Suter Sherwood

And Suter as the Swiss army knife moving up to change chemistry.  Then Aman steps in and Bains watches.  

Or something like that.  

I don’t know if Bains makes the team over Blais… Blais has other things he can do besides scoring. 
 Bains was known for putting up points in the AHL but his game isn’t good enough to produce at the NHL level. 

• ThereItIs 1

When I think about FWD grit Im mostly looking for pace on the forecheck and play along the boards.  Playoff style hockey. 

Getting rid of Mikheyev and adding Sherwood was great.  Id say Debrusk plays a similar physical game to Boeser and Heinen I dont know much about.

Hoglander, Joshua, Miller, Garland are returning gritty fwds.

Overall I like the wolf pack potential for the fwd group.  The back end hasnt lost its identity either

13 hours ago, kettlevalley said:

Heinen Miller boeser

Debrusk petey hogs

Joshua blue Garly

Bains Suter Sherwood

Or something like that.  

I am pretty sure Sprong makes the team before PDG, Bains, Aman?

14 hours ago, kettlevalley said:

Heinen Miller boeser

Debrusk petey hogs

Joshua blue Garly

Bains Suter Sherwood

Or something like that.  

We have Sprong signed too. Lots of depth this season on the wings! A welcome surprise for sure. 

On 8/25/2024 at 5:34 PM, CaptainCanuck12 said:

I wouldn't put Heinen in that group either.  But Miller will bring all the grit to the first line.

my thought is, if miller doesn't have to be the main grit on his line, it may increase his playing effectiveness longer into his contract.

• Cheers 2

16 hours ago, Jester13 said:

Heinen - Miller (grit) - Boeser

DeBrusk (grit) - Petey (can br grit) - Sprong

Joshua (grit) - Blueger - Gnarly (grit)

Hogs (grit) - Suter - Sherwood (grit)

I think we're fine.

our D has more than enough snarl now. Soucy, Forbort and Desharnais can be nasty to play against 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

16 hours ago, Jester13 said:

Heinen - Miller (grit) - Boeser

DeBrusk (grit) - Petey (can br grit) - Sprong

Joshua (grit) - Blueger - Gnarly (grit)

Hogs (grit) - Suter - Sherwood (grit)

I think we're fine.

I almost spit out my coffee when I read this. :classic_biggrin:

Wanting to be intimidating and actually being intimidating are two different things. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I almost spit out my coffee when I read this. :classic_biggrin:

Wanting to be intimidating and actually being intimidating are two different things. 

I don't look at grit as having to be intimidating but rather a pain to play against. Those three can all muck it up enough to piss off the other team into a penalty, as well as run up the score on them. They aren't going to drop the gloves, but they'll be hard to play against.

13 hours ago, Jester13 said:

I don't look at grit as having to be intimidating but rather a pain to play against. Those three can all muck it up enough to piss off the other team into a penalty, as well as run up the score on them. They aren't going to drop the gloves, but they'll be hard to play against.

Petey, Hogs and Garland are not going to "muck it up", especially against bigger, stronger opposing players. When the checking gets tighter in the playoffs I would say the only one who could at least hold his own is Garland and he is no opposing figure that is going to intimidate anyone. Think of a body check from a Zadorov or Myers compared to a hit from Petey or Garland, big difference.

25 minutes ago, RWJC said:

our D has more than enough snarl now. Soucy, Forbort and Desharnais can be nasty to play against 

I didn't see Soucy being "nasty to play against" during the playoffs last year. Myers and Zadorov yes, but I didn't see that from Soucy.

24 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I didn't see Soucy being "nasty to play against" during the playoffs last year. Myers and Zadorov yes, but I didn't see that from Soucy.

McDavid remembers.

Also, check out some of Soucy’s hits on YouTube and you will see what he is capable of. I’d agree he wasn’t as aggressive in the playoffs last season but I also think that might have had to do with coaching trying to ensure we limited unnecessary penalties. 

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, EdgarM said:

Petey, Hogs and Garland are not going to "muck it up", especially against bigger, stronger opposing players. When the checking gets tighter in the playoffs I would say the only one who could at least hold his own is Garland and he is no opposing figure that is going to intimidate anyone. Think of a body check from a Zadorov or Myers compared to a hit from Petey or Garland, big difference.

They won't do what Zadorov or Myers do, obvi, but they do muck it up (Petey doesn't, but he's got it in him, I believe - he does throw some nasty hits every now and then). Gnarly and Hogs get into scrums and don't back down from guys bigger than them. It's why they can often draw penalties and get under the skin of players. They're not tough guys, but I firmly believe they're gritty, even though they're not tall in stature. 

i think there is a difference between energy players and gritty players.  gritty players have to be strong board battlers as well as being willing and able to stick up for their line mates, even if it means dropping the gloves once in awhile.

• Like 1