[Speculation] Filip Zadina close to PTO/contract

FWIW:

Filip Zadina Linked To Sabres, In Talks With Other Teams

August 27th, 2024 at 9:45am CST • By Josh Erickson

9:45 a.m.: There are as many as three clubs in discussions for Zadina’s services, Kevin Weekes of ESPN reports.

8:34 a.m.: It appears the Buffalo deal may be a fallback option for Zadina. His agent, Darren Ferris, tells Lance Lysowski of The Buffalo News that he’s “in the process of completing a contract for Zadina with another team.”

8:24 a.m.: Right-winger Filip Zadina is expected to attend training camp with the Sabres on a professional tryout agreement, reports Pavel Barta of Deník Sport.

Zadina, 25 in November, has never made the impact most expected when the Red Wings selected him sixth overall in the 2018 draft. Until 2023, Zadina had mediocre results in a bottom-six role with Detroit, consistently shooting well below 10% and posting average possession metrics. Over those five seasons, he made 190 appearances for Detroit with 68 points, 0.36 per game. His -51 rating, 7.4% shooting rate and 0.62 hits per game were nothing to write home about, although he did manage to keep his head above water defensively with a 0.2 relative CF% at even strength.

After being released by the Red Wings last summer via a mutual contract termination, walking away from over $4.5MM in salary, he landed a one-year, $1.1MM deal with the Sharks. Nothing changed for the Czech winger in San Jose, though. Without much of a supporting cast, he did manage to score a career-high 13 goals in 72 games, but his 23 points fell one short of his best mark with Detroit, and his -44 rating was the worst of his career while averaging a conservative 13:20 per game. Most blame can be placed on the team’s porous defense and inconsistent goaltending, but Zadina’s 43.3 CF% and 39.0 xGF% at even strength was below the team average.

As such, the Sharks opted not to issue him a qualifying offer when his deal expired this summer, making him an unrestricted free agent for the second year. Still, without a contract, Zadina isn’t giving up on an NHL dream, fishing for PTO offers rather than heading to Europe.

For the Sabres, it’s a sensible low-risk option for some depth scoring with professional experience. He has strong numbers in the minors, last posting 16 points in 21 games with the AHL’s Grand Rapids Griffins in 2019-20. He also had a strong showing with Czechia’s HC Oceláři Třinec in 2020-21 while on loan during the pandemic, scoring eight goals and 14 points in 17 games. His shooting percentage continuously drying up upon reaching the NHL remains an enigma.

If Zadina lands a deal out of camp, it’ll likely be a two-way pact. After the Sabres reshaped their forward corps this summer with a specific eye on filling out their bottom six, there isn’t a clear roster spot for him if he signs. He’ll likely land on waivers and begin the season with their AHL affiliate, the Rochester Americans. There, he’ll play alongside Buffalo’s crop of next-wave players and compete for call-ups with other depth wingers like Jiri Kulich, Isak Rosen and Lukáš Rousek.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2024/08/sabres-expected-to-sign-filip-zadina-to-pto.html#ref=home

18 minutes ago, Louggy said:

I remember thinking that Zadina would be a happy runner up pick if we missed out on Hughes....

Probably why my scouting career didn't take off

I'm pretty sure Zadina was the consensus 3rd overall pick behind Dahlin and Svechnikov, so clearly something went wrong with his development. Not sure if it was Detroit immediately putting him in the AHL that set things back or something else, but he showed enough skill that he should have been able to become an impact player.

I can't say my scouting is any better though as Hughes was my Do Not Draft that year 😅.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Brady Tkachuk is a hell of a player and isn't a disgrace to the sport the way his brother is.

Agreed. BT is excellent. Dahlin and Zadina still suck pucks. Both are perennial Green jacket candidates. 

I recall on CDC several people wishing Zadina was still available when we drafted. Good thing he wasn't.

Forgot that Hayton was drafted that year as well. While he was a .5ppg player one season, overall he has had a similar lack of success.

What a crappy draft year. Looking at the success of the players given their draft position, it looks to me like we came out the clear winners with Hughes.

9 hours ago, Alflives said:

Agreed. BT is excellent. Dahlin and Zadina still suck pucks. Both are perennial Green jacket candidates. 

Dahlin has played in Buffalo...you actually seen him play any? He had a strong year last year and has been improving and is a large part of why Buffalo had winning records the last two years....winning records in Buffalo is a rare rare thing. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Gnarcore said:

Dahlin has played in Buffalo...you actually seen him play any? He had a strong year last year and has been improving and is a large part of why Buffalo had winning records the last two years....winning records in Buffalo is a rare rare thing. 

D4CEDBB9-5EDF-4ACD-85AD-67E3237E9CDC.gif.54d3f182b7c992a5572fcb69398a369a.gif

10 hours ago, RWJC said:

And basically in retrospect STOLE the consensus number one overall pick for that year. Thank you QH for becoming what will be our best franchise Dman of all time.
We totally lucked out. 

Yes and finally got a bit of luck for the second time, first being Bure.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

20 hours ago, Reznor said:

I recall on CDC several people wishing Zadina was still available when we drafted. Good thing he wasn't.

Forgot that Hayton was drafted that year as well. While he was a .5ppg player one season, overall he has had a similar lack of success.

What a crappy draft year. Looking at the success of the players given their draft position, it looks to me like we came out the clear winners with Hughes.

I'm not sure I would say it's a crappy draft, but definitely one that was a bit of a roulette wheel. A lot of first round defensemen hit for example (Hughes, Dahlin, Bouchard, Dobson, Miller, Sandin) but there were also some pretty big misses/underperformers (Kravtsov, Wahlstrom, and of course Zadina and Kotkaniemi). The draft also had a number of solid 2nd round picks. Hayton has underperformed for a 5th overall pick, but he was also never supposed to go that high (pretty sure he was ranked outside the top 10) and his decent season in 2022-23 showed that he might still become a solid 2C.

Overall it's probably an average draft with some reach picks that didn't turn out and Zadina and Kravtsov being the most notable busts (maybe Boqvist too but don't discount Florida rebuilding him).

Filip Zadina signs two-year contract with HC Davos

Picked sixth overall by the Red Wings in 2018, the former Halifax Mooseheds star has 41 goals and 50 assists in 262 career NHL games.

The former Detroit Red Wings first-round pick has signed a two-year contract with HC Davos, the Swiss club announced Monday.

Zadina, 24, was a free agent after recording 13 goals and 10 assists in 72 games while playing on a one-year deal with the San Jose Sharks last season.

The Czech winger was inked by the Sharks after the Red Wings and Zadina agreed to a contract termination after the 2022-23 season.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/filip-zadina-signs-two-year-contract-with-hc-davos/

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

On 8/28/2024 at 11:21 AM, Diamonds said:

I'm not sure I would say it's a crappy draft, but definitely one that was a bit of a roulette wheel. A lot of first round defensemen hit for example (Hughes, Dahlin, Bouchard, Dobson, Miller, Sandin) but there were also some pretty big misses/underperformers (Kravtsov, Wahlstrom, and of course Zadina and Kotkaniemi). The draft also had a number of solid 2nd round picks. Hayton has underperformed for a 5th overall pick, but he was also never supposed to go that high (pretty sure he was ranked outside the top 10) and his decent season in 2022-23 showed that he might still become a solid 2C.

Overall it's probably an average draft with some reach picks that didn't turn out and Zadina and Kravtsov being the most notable busts (maybe Boqvist too but don't discount Florida rebuilding him).

Hayton actually is doing better than many of the first round picks.

• Cheers 2

On 8/27/2024 at 1:18 PM, Louggy said:

I remember thinking that Zadina would be a happy runner up pick if we missed out on Hughes....

Probably why my scouting career didn't take off

I remember thinking there's no way QH gets past Detroit as a local boy.

Couldn't believe they went for Zadina

• Cheers 1