[Speculation] Filip Zadina close to PTO/contract

1 hour ago, Wing said:

Have to thank Detroit for this one. If they picked Hughes we would have probably picked Zadina. Can't imagine where our team would be now without Hughes. 

I think we would have picked Evan Bouchard if Hughes wasn't there. At least that's who I wanted us to pick, because I thought Hughes would be gone at #3.

• Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, Nave said:

I think we would have picked Evan Bouchard if Hughes wasn't there. At least that's who I wanted us to pick, because I thought Hughes would be gone at #3.

I wanted Dobson, even with Hughes there. Though I would have been pretty happy at the time if Zadina fell to us. I also wanted McIsaac with our 2nd that year who Detroit also took 1 pick before us. So I was kind of mad at Detroit for a little while...

But of course McIsaac hasn't turned out any better than Woo and Hughes is well on his way to a HoF career so I certainly am not mad anymore!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JeremyCuddles said:

We'd have Bedard.

Just a few more years, Jeremy.

Connor and Macklin going to shock the world and come home and we will win 10 consecutive Stanley Cups and probably a Super Bowl as well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Nave said:

And he would have busted in Vancouver if we picked Bouchard. We don’t have an ekholm to bail him out or a mcdavid to pad his stats and keep him in the offensive zone 80% of the time. He has a big elite slap shot that’s about it. Average player in the right situation not unlike anson carter. Both nothing without the guy carrying them

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

And he would have busted in Vancouver if we picked Bouchard. We don’t have an ekholm to bail him out or a mcdavid to pad his stats and keep him in the offensive zone 80% of the time. He has a big elite slap shot that’s about it. Average player in the right situation not unlike anson carter. Both nothing without the guy carrying them

That shot is why I wanted him though. He is unbelievably good at getting it on the net through traffic. I don't think it's fair to discount the playoffs he had.

26 minutes ago, Nave said:

That shot is why I wanted him though. He is unbelievably good at getting it on the net through traffic. I don't think it's fair to discount the playoffs he had.

Agreed.

I want to hate on Bouchard, as he kinda looks like a goof and plays for the Oilers, but dude had 32 points in 25 playoff games to go along with a +14 and 3 GWG

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, boziffous said:

Agreed.

I want to hate on Bouchard, as he kinda looks like a goof and plays for the Oilers, but dude had 32 points in 25 playoff games to go along with a +14 and 3 GWG

I still think Hughes is an OA better player.

Bouchard is placed in a perfect situation for him to thrive with his skill set.

If you put Bouchard on the Canucks he likely drops his production by about 15-20 points over 82 games. Hughes on the Oilers last season, he could easily get 100+ points (I don't see Hughes scoring as many goals as Bouchard but he will have a lot of options to set up plays).

If Canucks and Oilers play head to head with both players swapping teams, Oilers would’ve won the series in 5.

Hughes drives plays and he is still the better player imo.

12 minutes ago, boziffous said:

Agreed.

His play in his end was still so bad that he belongs in the ECHL despite the offensive output.  Hopefully Edmonton locks him up long term and we get to play against that pylon a ton.

11 minutes ago, RJCF96 said:

I still think Hughes is an OA better player.

Bouchard is placed in a perfect situation for him to thrive with his skill set.

If you put Bouchard on the Canucks he likely drops his production by about 15-20 points over 82 games. Hughes on the Oilers last season, he could easily get 100+ points (I don't see Hughes scoring as many goals as Bouchard but he will have a lot of options to set up plays).

If Canucks and Oilers play head to head with both players swapping teams, Oilers would’ve won the series in 5.

Hughes drives plays and he is still the better player imo.

Oh, 100% agree.

I was just saying that Bouchard had a pretty great playoffs.

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, chris12345 said:

A list of biggest busts at every draft position would be wild. Probably just top 10 a bust isn't really a 7th rounder.

And sometimes, those top 10 pics, should have BEEN 7th rounders.

54 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

His play in his end was still so bad that he belongs in the ECHL despite the offensive output.  Hopefully Edmonton locks him up long term and we get to play against that pylon a ton.

Never change Heffy 😄 

4 hours ago, boziffous said:

Agreed.

4 hours ago, Nave said:

we dont have a mcdavid and a draistal that draws the defender to them opening up the shooting lane from the point.. so his "big shot" is useless in vancouver. again 32 points in 25 playoff games and +14.. how many of the 32 points is from "mcdavid" how many points have he gotten in his career when mcdavid isn't on the ice? we dont have a player remotely close to a mcdavid in terms of playmaking ability and can stay in the offensive zone 80% of the time.. 

at this moment.. not in any particular order dahlin hughes dobson>bouchard.. for the simple fact those 3 make the players around them and their D partner better.. bouchard doesn't make anyone better and require ekholm to babysit him the rare time they are in the defensive zone.. his GF% is high and GA% is low coz they are always in the offensive zone.. i'm pretty sure their offensive zone time is #1 in the league by a wide margin and the % of the total time on ice spent in the offensive zone is highest in the league again by a fair margin.. and it's all because of 1 man Mcdavid.. if bouchard spend as much time 5v5 in the defensive zone as other similar players?? his GF% would fall off a cliff.

12 hours ago, Diamonds said:

I wanted Dobson, even with Hughes there. Though I would have been pretty happy at the time if Zadina fell to us. I also wanted McIsaac with our 2nd that year who Detroit also took 1 pick before us. So I was kind of mad at Detroit for a little while...

But of course McIsaac hasn't turned out any better than Woo and Hughes is well on his way to a HoF career so I certainly am not mad anymore!

I was screaming for the Canucks to pick up another pick after the Hughes pick. I wanted Dobson to go along with Hughes and grow together as a tandem. 

• Cheers 1

On 9/3/2024 at 12:07 AM, wai_lai416 said:

we dont have a mcdavid and a draistal that draws the defender to them opening up the shooting lane from the point.. so his "big shot" is useless in vancouver. again 32 points in 25 playoff games and +14.. how many of the 32 points is from "mcdavid" how many points have he gotten in his career when mcdavid isn't on the ice? we dont have a player remotely close to a mcdavid in terms of playmaking ability and can stay in the offensive zone 80% of the time.. 

at this moment.. not in any particular order dahlin hughes dobson>bouchard.. for the simple fact those 3 make the players around them and their D partner better.. bouchard doesn't make anyone better and require ekholm to babysit him the rare time they are in the defensive zone.. his GF% is high and GA% is low coz they are always in the offensive zone.. i'm pretty sure their offensive zone time is #1 in the league by a wide margin and the % of the total time on ice spent in the offensive zone is highest in the league again by a fair margin.. and it's all because of 1 man Mcdavid.. if bouchard spend as much time 5v5 in the defensive zone as other similar players?? his GF% would fall off a cliff.

The logic is similar to Sergachev. If we had picked him, he would've busted as well in Vancouver. We would've yelled our GM for drafting a Russian with our high pick and busting.

On 9/2/2024 at 12:37 PM, Wing said:

Have to thank Detroit for this one. If they picked Hughes we would have probably picked Zadina. Can't imagine where our team would be now without Hughes. 

Probably the same way Calgary thanks us for taking juolevi

On 9/2/2024 at 9:22 PM, King Heffy said:

Never will, I'll never have any respect for a defenceman who flat out refuses to learn how to play defence.

The list of things you have no respect for is long. 

I don't know or care about who youre talking about. But I'll take a stab at the meat of it. 

A guy like Tyson Barrie.... Horrible at defense. In the past 10 years he's 7th in points from a D. 

image.png.57856bc4f575b4e84964ebb57f11d2c5.png

The guy made an awesome career out of doing what he does best. He was never going to be better than average defensively even if he dedicated himself to improving. If he had taken that route then yes he might not be good enough for the AHL. Reilly's kinda same boat. You have X amount of years to make hay. Your strengths are what got you to the NHL. 

Theres a reason everyone above him are Norris caliber and he isn't close and thats ok he was never going to be within a whispers breath of those guys. He is what he is and he was pretty good at it. Maybe make a good PP coach one day?

• Upvote 1