[Speculation] Report: Jeremy Swayman’s Contract Demands Skyrocketing

Report: Jeremy Swayman’s Contract Demands Skyrocketing 

Dave Litman 

Tuesday, August 27, 2024 

The Boston Bruins made a huge decision earlier this offseason, trading one-half of their elite goaltending tandem, Linus Ullmark, to the Ottawa Senators. That left Jeremy Swayman as the undisputed No. 1 and their goalie of the future. Only problem is, Swayman is a restricted free agent, and still unsigned as the summer nears an end.

Bruins fans are getting nervous about the Swayman situation, and this latest bit of info to emerge won’t help calm them: According to Rich Keefe of WEEI, Swayman is asking for a contract number that starts with an AAV of $10 million.

“Jeremy Swayman, looking for $10 million a year. That is the scoop that I have. He is looking for $10 million a year... So, I think a lot of the speculation was if he gets to $8 (million AAV), that makes him the sixth-highest-paid goalie. But from what I'm led to believe, he would like $10 million per year.”

It's somewhat understandable that Swayman is turning the screws on the Bruins, as noted by Bryan Hayes on TSN: "He knows he’s got them now, they traded Ullmark. They're committed to him."

Swayman really solidified his spot in the top job in Boston as of the playoffs this past spring, as he started all but one of the Bruins' postseason games. He posted a .933 save percentage in his 12 playoff starts with a 2.15 goals-against average. During the regular season, he started 43 games, going 25-10-8 with a .916 Sv% and 2.53 GAA. 

If the 25-year-old is able to secure a $10M AAV from the Bruins, that would tie him for the 2nd-highest paycheck among goaltenders in the NHL, behind only the essentially-retired Carey Price ($10.5M) and even with Sergei Bobrovsky ($10M). 

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2024/08/report-jeremy-swaymans-contract-demands.html

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If any truth to this it’s obviously a negotiation tactic. That said, BOS did take him to arbitration in past and perhaps he feels he’s going to milk them now that Ullmark has been traded and he’s their definitive #1 G.

I imagine he’ll come in somewhere between 7.5-8.5 per.

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I know it would just be fun to screw them on a really high salary. 

Is he worth the multiple firsts though?

Im curious to see how he performs without his buddy and Vezina winner there.

• ThereItIs 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

Is he worth the multiple firsts though?

Im curious to see how he performs without his buddy and Vezina winner there.

probably not, I'm not being very practical, just vindictive. I'm happy to see him squeeze Boston tho. 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Boston isn’t in the same situation Edmonton was sadly.

They have more than enough cap to match any offer.

They have enough to pay Swayman market value.  If someone is dumb enough to offer sheet him $10 million, I doubt Boston matches.  They'll take all the draft picks instead and find another goalie...

Yikes, that's a crazy ask. Obviously if that's the starting point for negotiations Swayman knows he'll get less than that, but that's still incredibly high.

The closest equivalent to signing to $10M today would be Vasilevskiy's $9.5M that he signed in 2021. But that was following 4 consecutive Vezina finalist seasons and a Conn Smythe. Swayman is a good goalie, but he's also never played a true starter's workload. There is a pretty big question mark on whether he can maintain his play without a partner like Ullmark to back him up.

I definitely don't think Swayman should make more than Sorokin who starts a $8.25M contract this season. If I was picking a goalie comparable I would actually probably go with Tritan Jarry and he's only making $5.38M. Maybe you can start with Jarry's contract and add $1M for signing one year later and Swayman being 2 years younger. Basically I would aim for $6M-$6.5M and wouldn't go over $7M.

Bob just won a cup making 10M, Shesterkin will probably want at least that. Sorokin signed his 8.25M deal last year, Hellebuyck got his 8.5M deal last year. Saros's 7.74M came in tax friendly Nashville. 

Cap's going up, wouldn't be surprised to see Swayman hit 8.5-9.5M, he'll be 26 this autumn so a max deal would take him through all his best years. 

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Bob just won a cup making 10M, Shesterkin will probably want at least that. Sorokin signed his 8.25M deal last year, Hellebuyck got his 8.5M deal last year. Saros's 7.74M came in tax friendly Nashville. 

Cap's going up, wouldn't be surprised to see Swayman hit 8.5-9.5M, he'll be 26 this autumn so a max deal would take him through all his best years. 

If the cap goes up, that may keep Boeser with the Canucks with a new contract by next year.

6 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

If the cap goes up, that may keep Boeser with the Canucks with a new contract by next year.

Hard to say how much it'll jump at this point, but it'll almost certainly go up. I'd be surprised if Boeser isn't back though. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Hard to say how much it'll jump at this point, but it'll almost certainly go up. I'd be surprised if Boeser isn't back though. 

I think the cap is gonna jump up quite a bit for 25/26.  Utah will likely bring in a lot more revenue than Arizona did.

Guy's never played a full season as a starter and has played 40+ games TWICE. This is an insane value, and I don't blame Boston if they look to trade him. This is absolutely ridiculous. He would be the 2nd highest paid goaltender in NHL history, having never been an actual starter. 

It's very easy to post amazing numbers when you're sheltered and playing behind an insanely deep and talented defensive corps, with Mr Selke himself and tons of 2way forwards chipping in. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Guy's never played a full season as a starter and has played 40+ games TWICE. This is an insane value, and I don't blame Boston if they look to trade him. This is absolutely ridiculous. He would be the 2nd highest paid goaltender in NHL history, having never been an actual starter. 

It's very easy to post amazing numbers when you're sheltered and playing behind an insanely deep and talented defensive corps, with Mr Selke himself and tons of 2way forwards chipping in. 

Think it’s just posturing though. His camp knows he no where near worth that kind of ask. Just tryna squeeeeze BOS for some extra change and then some.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Think it’s just posturing though. His camp knows he no where near worth that kind of ask. Just tryna squeeeeze BOS for some extra change and then some.

It's a good way to have the cap-responsible locker room filled with stars that took considerable paycuts, sour on you pretty fast. Yeah, it's a business, but Marchand, Bergeron, Pastrnak, McAvoy, Chara etc... ALL left money on the table to ice a competitive roster, and I don't recall ever hearing of any of these players "posturing". It's unprecedented in Boston-land and it's one of the more ridiculous asks any of us can probably remember. It's a bad look. 

22 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

It's a good way to have the cap-responsible locker room filled with stars that took considerable paycuts, sour on you pretty fast. Yeah, it's a business, but Marchand, Bergeron, Pastrnak, McAvoy, Chara etc... ALL left money on the table to ice a competitive roster, and I don't recall ever hearing of any of these players "posturing". It's unprecedented in Boston-land and it's one of the more ridiculous asks any of us can probably remember. It's a bad look. 

Agreed, but it’s mostly par for the course now. It’s a business, both ways. Cap rising, younger RFA players securing long term big investment deals based on potential is the norm. Why wouldn’t Swayman try to capitalize on the trend? Maybe BOS tends to reel in players based on prestige of the club and that they are perennially competitive, but the Bruins also placed themselves in this position by signing Ullmark to what they did (in contrast to Swayman) and then trading him, leaving themselves vulnerable while also seemingly forgetting that they already were part of a drawn out negotiation process with Swayman previously. 

F the Bruins anyway. They’ve received enough benefits from the league and capitalized on players wanting to play for that crest. About time a valuable member of that club establishes their value league wide and demands fair market (or above, hah). I believe he will eventually sign and it will be lucrative, and that’s simply because BOS chose to play this out the way they did. Tough beans.

From last year, and consider the part I bolded in the text:

Bruins, Jeremy Swayman settle on $3.475 million in arbitration

ESPN News Services

Aug 1, 2023, 05:14 PM ET

BOSTON -- Boston Bruins goaltender Jeremy Swayman has been awarded $3.475 million through arbitration on a contract for next season, the team announced.

The ruling was handed down Tuesday after Swayman and the team had a hearing Sunday. The Bruins chose a one-year contract instead of two.

Swayman, 24, is again expected to share duties in net with reigning Vezina Trophy-winning goalie Linus Ullmark. The two shared the William Jennings Trophy this past season for leading the NHL in goals-against average, as the Bruins set league records for wins and points.

Boston's success certainly played a part in the ruling, as Swayman's numbers from last season helped to improve his resume. But Swayman backed up Ullmark last season with just a $1.05 million salary cap hit.

Now, given Ullmark's $5 million cap hit for next season, and Swayman's award, the Bruins will now have more than $8 million tied into their goaltending situation, provided they keep both before opening night.

Swayman became the second goalie this offseason to reach an arbitration hearing. Ilya Samsonov of the Toronto Maple Leafs was the first and was awarded $3.55 million on a one-year deal.

The Bruins avoided arbitration with depth forward Trent Frederic, signing him to a two-year deal worth $4.6 million. Frederic, 25, will count $2.3 million against the cap each of the next two seasons.

Swayman and Frederic are two young players staying with Boston in the aftermath of longtime center Patrice Bergeron announcing his retirement.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/38116346/bruins-jeremy-swayman-settle-3475-million-arbitration

With 8.6mil in cap, I don't think they can sign this deal. Unless Swayman is deadset on them making their roster worse. Doesn't seem like something Swayman would do. I'd be surprised if they don't get a long term deal done before the season, I'd be more surprised if Boston had to make moves and pay him 10mil.