[Speculation] Report: Jeremy Swayman’s Contract Demands Skyrocketing

6 hours ago, Rip The Mesh said:

If the cap goes up, that may keep Boeser with the Canucks with a new contract by next year.

6 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Hard to say how much it'll jump at this point, but it'll almost certainly go up. I'd be surprised if Boeser isn't back though. 

Another 4 or so next year.

What is the NHL salary cap for 2025 2026?

In the latest 32 Thoughts Podcast, Elliotte Friedman reports ...

In the latest 32 Thoughts Podcast, Elliotte Friedman reports that the NHL salary cap will increase to “just under $93 million” for the 2025-2026 season.Jun 25, 2024
  • Thanks 3
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Guy's never played a full season as a starter and has played 40+ games TWICE. This is an insane value, and I don't blame Boston if they look to trade him. This is absolutely ridiculous. He would be the 2nd highest paid goaltender in NHL history, having never been an actual starter. 

It's very easy to post amazing numbers when you're sheltered and playing behind an insanely deep and talented defensive corps, with Mr Selke himself and tons of 2way forwards chipping in. 

I agree. I wouldn’t pay him more than $6 million to be honest. He needs to prove he can be the guy. He hasn’t even proven that yet over an entire season. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson

Like so many of you, I love celebrating Boston suffering. And I hope they sign him to 7.5M+ AAV and that he doesn’t pan out (for them).

But for you debaters or contrarians out there… didn’t we sign Demko to $5M AAV in a lower/flatter/covid-uncertain cap era… after proving less? 

Plus, I heard Demko caught Petey’s tendinitis and Demko’s knee fell off too

Edited by GrammaInTheTub
Added word cap
  • Haha 1

Afternoon Notes: Swayman, McGroarty, Blues

August 28th, 2024 at 3:00pm CST • By Josh Erickson

Bruins star netminder Jeremy Swayman remains without a contract for next season and beyond. The RFA is embroiled in a dispute for the second summer in a row, requiring an arbitration hearing to hand down a one-year, $3.475MM agreement.

That process a year ago convinced Swayman to educate himself “about the business side of it all,” the goalie said on the “Shut Up Marc” podcast yesterday. “I understand the cap is going up and where it will be in years. I understand my comparables and how I can’t ruin the goalie market for other guys that are going to be in my shoes down the line” (stick taps to The Score’s Sean O’Leary).

Swayman’s been one of the league’s best netminders the past couple of years, recording a .916 SV% and 2.41 GAA during his three full seasons as a Bruin. But he’s been stuck in a tandem situation with Linus Ullmark, limiting him to fewer than 45 starts each season. He’ll see a sharp increase in workload in 2024-25 with Ullmark out the door via a trade to the Senators. Still, Boston is likely hesitant about shelling out star-level money to a 25-year-old who looks like the real deal but hasn’t yet been a bona fide starter in the NHL.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2024/08/afternoon-notes-swayman-mcgroarty-blues.html#ref=home

20 hours ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

Like so many of you, I love celebrating Boston suffering. And I hope they sign him to 7.5M+ AAV and that he doesn’t pan out (for them).

But for you debaters or contrarians out there… didn’t we sign Demko to $5M AAV in a lower/flatter/covid-uncertain cap era… after proving less? 

Plus, I heard Demko caught Petey’s tendinitis and Demko’s knee fell off too

We did not sign Demko to the 2nd biggest NHL contract for goaltenders in NHL history. We played the risk game and it paid off, but what Swayman is doing to Boston is on another astronomically more delusional level than anything I've ever seen. 

4 hours ago, RWJC said:

Afternoon Notes: Swayman, McGroarty, Blues

August 28th, 2024 at 3:00pm CST • By Josh Erickson

Bruins star netminder Jeremy Swayman remains without a contract for next season and beyond. The RFA is embroiled in a dispute for the second summer in a row, requiring an arbitration hearing to hand down a one-year, $3.475MM agreement.

That process a year ago convinced Swayman to educate himself “about the business side of it all,” the goalie said on the “Shut Up Marc” podcast yesterday. “I understand the cap is going up and where it will be in years. I understand my comparables and how I can’t ruin the goalie market for other guys that are going to be in my shoes down the line” (stick taps to The Score’s Sean O’Leary).

Swayman’s been one of the league’s best netminders the past couple of years, recording a .916 SV% and 2.41 GAA during his three full seasons as a Bruin. But he’s been stuck in a tandem situation with Linus Ullmark, limiting him to fewer than 45 starts each season. He’ll see a sharp increase in workload in 2024-25 with Ullmark out the door via a trade to the Senators. Still, Boston is likely hesitant about shelling out star-level money to a 25-year-old who looks like the real deal but hasn’t yet been a bona fide starter in the NHL.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2024/08/afternoon-notes-swayman-mcgroarty-blues.html#ref=home

This sounds more like he thinks he knows the system because he "educated himself". Yet, he clearly doesn't know the system because he's asking for an obscene amount of money without playing more than 44 games in a season.

As much as I want to bash Boston, I sure hope Boston does not cave into this because there could be ripples around the league if they did, including potentially with our own players. Consider how Demko may need a new contract in a couple years time. Obviously, we could right now debate that with his injuries and all, but ignoring all that, this Swayman contract could affect that.

Edited by The Lock
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)

I wonder if there’s been any contact with Swayman’s agent regarding an offer sheet from other clubs? This could be why the $ figures reported are so inflated? The compensation would be prohibitive you’d think though. Would leave BOS in a real jam with very little choice but to match, even if they have to shuffle their roster.

Apparently there are teams looking at offer sheeting Cole Perfetti too at around 4.5 per but know that WPG will match that number so haven’t yet bothered to attempt it. 

Edited by RWJC

Atlantic Notes: Swayman, Stützle, LeBreton Flats, Leenders

August 29th, 2024 at 1:40pm CST • By Josh Erickson

Speculation floating around that Bruins RFA netminder Jeremy Swayman wants a $10MM average annual value on his next deal is likely unfounded, Frank Seravalli of Daily Faceoff said on SN960 The FAN’s Big Show on Wednesday.

Swayman’s camp is holding out for an AAV in the $8.5MM range on a long-term deal, while the Bruins are holding firm just north of $6MM per season, per Seravalli. He adds there hasn’t been much progress toward a resolution since those numbers were first exchanged earlier this summer.

“I think that’s a pretty sizeable gap that hasn’t been bridged yet and with the trade of Linus Ullmark, it’s obvious that Swayman is such a big part of what the Bruins’ future looks like and the stability of their core because the goaltending has been the backbone of that team,” Seravalli said. “But if you have a philosophical difference on what you think your goaltender should make, and if you thought that with the numbers he’s posted that he was going to be in that range, I can understand why there’s been a disconnect there.”

Swayman, 26 in November, posted a .916 SV%, 2.53 GAA, and three shutouts with a 25-10-8 record last season in 44 appearances (43 starts).

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2024/08/atlantic-notes-swayman-stutzle-lebreton-flats-leenders.html#ref=home

Can't help but wonder if they don't end up getting a shorter deal done, Swayman could cash in after. Is he the sort of player to bet on himself though? Do the Bruins cave on money so as to lock him in with term? Given the way the cap is going up 8.5M probably wouldn't be the end of the world. 

Bruins don't exactly have a ton of leverage even with Swayman being an RFA, he'll be 26 in November so his UFA years ain't all that far off now. They don't have a ton in the system in the way of goaltenders either, they're sunk without Swayman. 

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Can't help but wonder if they don't end up getting a shorter deal done, Swayman could cash in after. Is he the sort of player to bet on himself though? Do the Bruins cave on money so as to lock him in with term? Given the way the cap is going up 8.5M probably wouldn't be the end of the world. 

Bruins don't exactly have a ton of leverage even with Swayman being an RFA, he'll be 26 in November so his UFA years ain't all that far off now. They don't have a ton in the system in the way of goaltenders either, they're sunk without Swayman. 

the chowderheads have no choice, they need to cave in. Maybe the AAV comes down if they go max bonus money.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Nope. 

He already stated he’s not taking a team friendly deal. He has no reason to sign for less than 6 years. He’s proven himself.

• Cheers 1

Bruins should have prioritized getting him resigned before trading Ullmark. 

1 more year after this season of Demko at 5 million. We should really consider selling off if we're unsure about the stability of his body/injuries going into the following offseason. 

Edited by Toccfather

On 8/28/2024 at 6:01 PM, The Lock said:

Consider how Demko may need a new contract in a couple years time. Obviously, we could right now debate that with his injuries and all, but ignoring all that, this Swayman contract could affect that.

Easy decision for me. If Demko can't physically continue to hold up, then handing him out large amounts of money is a no-go for me. Can't pay a goalie that much money only for him to be sitting on the sidelines. No thanks. That cap is better used elsewhere with a more durable goaltender, even if that goalie is less elite than Demko. I'm saying this, and I'm a huge Demko fan. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Toccfather said:

Bruins should have prioritized getting him resigned before trading Ullmark. 

1 more year after this season of Demko at 5 million. We should really consider selling off if we're unsure about the stability of his body/injuries going into the following offseason. 

Yeah, Bruins really fucked that up. 

I think management probably needs to have conversation after this season with Demko's camp about what their thinking of terms of numbers. I can see management not wanting to get into the 8's with Demko. 6.5-7.5M I would be still be game, but that's assuming he's been given a clean bill of health. If health is still a concern, then that number has got to come lower. Either that, or a trade is incoming, which unfortunately would be too bad for Demko and Canuck fans. Would love to see Demmer retire as a Canuck, but if he's traded, then c'est la vie. 

• Like 1

On 8/27/2024 at 6:36 PM, RWJC said:

Agreed, but it’s mostly par for the course now. It’s a business, both ways. Cap rising, younger RFA players securing long term big investment deals based on potential is the norm. Why wouldn’t Swayman try to capitalize on the trend? Maybe BOS tends to reel in players based on prestige of the club and that they are perennially competitive, but the Bruins also placed themselves in this position by signing Ullmark to what they did (in contrast to Swayman) and then trading him, leaving themselves vulnerable while also seemingly forgetting that they already were part of a drawn out negotiation process with Swayman previously. 

F the Bruins anyway. They’ve received enough benefits from the league and capitalized on players wanting to play for that crest. About time a valuable member of that club establishes their value league wide and demands fair market (or above, hah). I believe he will eventually sign and it will be lucrative, and that’s simply because BOS chose to play this out the way they did. Tough beans.

From last year, and consider the part I bolded in the text:

Bruins, Jeremy Swayman settle on $3.475 million in arbitration

ESPN News Services

Aug 1, 2023, 05:14 PM ET

BOSTON -- Boston Bruins goaltender Jeremy Swayman has been awarded $3.475 million through arbitration on a contract for next season, the team announced.

The ruling was handed down Tuesday after Swayman and the team had a hearing Sunday. The Bruins chose a one-year contract instead of two.

Swayman, 24, is again expected to share duties in net with reigning Vezina Trophy-winning goalie Linus Ullmark. The two shared the William Jennings Trophy this past season for leading the NHL in goals-against average, as the Bruins set league records for wins and points.

Boston's success certainly played a part in the ruling, as Swayman's numbers from last season helped to improve his resume. But Swayman backed up Ullmark last season with just a $1.05 million salary cap hit.

Now, given Ullmark's $5 million cap hit for next season, and Swayman's award, the Bruins will now have more than $8 million tied into their goaltending situation, provided they keep both before opening night.

Swayman became the second goalie this offseason to reach an arbitration hearing. Ilya Samsonov of the Toronto Maple Leafs was the first and was awarded $3.55 million on a one-year deal.

The Bruins avoided arbitration with depth forward Trent Frederic, signing him to a two-year deal worth $4.6 million. Frederic, 25, will count $2.3 million against the cap each of the next two seasons.

Swayman and Frederic are two young players staying with Boston in the aftermath of longtime center Patrice Bergeron announcing his retirement.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/38116346/bruins-jeremy-swayman-settle-3475-million-arbitration

RFA doesn't equal UFA though.   Sure they'd be buying UFA years too, but look at what Hellebuyck just signed for in a high tax market.    The most consistent and the guy who plays the most over the last four years.    Can't argue with that.   Plus as others have pointed out, Sorokin and Sarros.    8.5 x still seems like he's winning by a country mile.    Goaltending is the most fickle position.   That's banking on a lot by Boston.   Plus Boston doesn't have a history of overpaying their star players.   Is he even a legit top five goalie?  Maybe if he was 27 and just played 3 years of 55-65 starts, then consider things.  

What blows my mind is cap going up needs to be shared, by the entire team.   Last season it was 5%.   Maybe, maybe it will be again.  Would say it's just as likely to be 3-4%.    The cap was catching up last season.   Utah's money means nothing, that goes into the owners pocket, as it should for the buy-in.     Plus next year isn't factored in.   He should get a 5% raise only.   Same with every single player who signed this summer.   That's how the system works. 

So 5% on something like 7.5-8.   He's not on anyone's top five list, top 6-9 maybe.   8-8.5 is more then fair based on his comps.    9 is an overpayment.    NHL.com has Ullmark at 6, Swayman outside the top ten.   It's not a foregone conclusion they kept the better goalie let alone considering that he should be paid like a top goalie league wide.   At least Bobrovksy won a couple Vezina's first.   

Edited by IBatch

Hot gossip from the old ladies at the hair salon…

Bruins Rumors: Boston Hasn't Returned Swayman's Calls In 3 Weeks

Dave Litman Wednesday, September 04, 2024 

Lots of questions around the league as to why the Boston Bruins haven't get gotten restricted free agent Jeremy Swayman's name on a new contract yet. We know that the B's new solo No. 1 man between the pipes was—rightfully—asking for a hefty raise, some wild rumors even had it as much as a $10 million AAV ask. 

Now we might be learning why a deal hasn't yet been struck, as the Rumor Boys on the Spittin' Chiclets podcast have dropped word that the Bruins have been offering four years at a $6.2 million AAV. 

"That is not even on the same planet(as what Swayman wants)," said Ray Whitney. "That is so far away... And apparently, the Bruins have not contacted or returned Swayman's calls in three weeks!"

And the fact that Boston went out and traded the other half of their star goalie tandem, Linus Ullmark, before getting Swayman wrapped up, and then low-balling him, leaves Whitney flabbergasted. 

"If their offer is 4 years, $6.2 after you've traded your other stud goalie, that's one of the funniest things I've ever heard. That's insane. That's crazy."

Swayman essentially took over the top gig in the Bruins crease during last year's playoffs, starting 12 of the team's 13 postseason games. He had another strong season and is clearly one of the top young goalies in the league, but because he didn't choose arbitration this summer, he doesn't have a lot of leverage. 

But then again, neither do the Bruins after they traded Ullmark. 

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2024/09/bruins-rumors-boston-hasnt-returned.html

• Haha 1

I'm not so sure that Utah will be the reason for a cap jump.

Iirc Arizona was excluded from the cap formula, due to the tiny size of it's building.

I'm thinking Utah only helps, if they earn more than the average, league wide.

On 9/4/2024 at 1:38 PM, RWJC said:

Hot gossip from the old ladies at the hair salon…

Bruins Rumors: Boston Hasn't Returned Swayman's Calls In 3 Weeks

Dave Litman Wednesday, September 04, 2024 

Lots of questions around the league as to why the Boston Bruins haven't get gotten restricted free agent Jeremy Swayman's name on a new contract yet. We know that the B's new solo No. 1 man between the pipes was—rightfully—asking for a hefty raise, some wild rumors even had it as much as a $10 million AAV ask. 

Now we might be learning why a deal hasn't yet been struck, as the Rumor Boys on the Spittin' Chiclets podcast have dropped word that the Bruins have been offering four years at a $6.2 million AAV. 

"That is not even on the same planet(as what Swayman wants)," said Ray Whitney. "That is so far away... And apparently, the Bruins have not contacted or returned Swayman's calls in three weeks!"

And the fact that Boston went out and traded the other half of their star goalie tandem, Linus Ullmark, before getting Swayman wrapped up, and then low-balling him, leaves Whitney flabbergasted. 

"If their offer is 4 years, $6.2 after you've traded your other stud goalie, that's one of the funniest things I've ever heard. That's insane. That's crazy."

Swayman essentially took over the top gig in the Bruins crease during last year's playoffs, starting 12 of the team's 13 postseason games. He had another strong season and is clearly one of the top young goalies in the league, but because he didn't choose arbitration this summer, he doesn't have a lot of leverage. 

But then again, neither do the Bruins after they traded Ullmark. 

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2024/09/bruins-rumors-boston-hasnt-returned.html

Good on Boston to stick to their guns and not give in to inflated demands. And Whitney's reaction is not a surprise - he has proven during the last playoffs that he's been hit in a head one too many times.

• Like 1